ADA Vs. Chipotle

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Leave it to California's 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to mark the 20th anniversary of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) with another of its goofy, ripe-for-recision rulings.

This one involves the counter height at a couple of Chipotle Mexican Grills in San Diego. Seems the 45-inch walls between customers and the food-preparation areas prevent people in wheelchairs from "fully participating in the selection and preparation of their order," as Judge Daniel Friedman put it.

In short, Friedman wrote for the court, the wall "significantly reduced" the "ability to enjoy the Chipotle experience."

We won't argue that "the Chipotle experience" isn't worth fully taking in. The Denver-based chain is the country's most successful publicly held restaurant operator, and it's hard to argue with success. But the two outlets in question tried to accommodate disabled persons by providing alternatives, such as showing a customer a sample of food in a spoon or assembling meals elsewhere.

ADA Vs. Chipotle - IBD - Investors.com

Oh brother...

Pictures of food coming soon to your nearest Chipotle. Or mirrors.

It is a sight.

Beef, chicken and pork.

Black and pinto beans.

Cilantro rice.

Grated cheese, sour cream, red sauce, green sauce. Guac.

chipotle-burritos-ck-l.jpg

Last edited:
I can't hear what you are saying

Leave it to California's 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to mark the 20th anniversary of the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) with another of its goofy, ripe-for-recision rulings.

This one involves the counter height at a couple of Chipotle Mexican Grills in San Diego. Seems the 45-inch walls between customers and the food-preparation areas prevent people in wheelchairs from "fully participating in the selection and preparation of their order," as Judge Daniel Friedman put it.

In short, Friedman wrote for the court, the wall "significantly reduced" the "ability to enjoy the Chipotle experience."

We won't argue that "the Chipotle experience" isn't worth fully taking in. The Denver-based chain is the country's most successful publicly held restaurant operator, and it's hard to argue with success. But the two outlets in question tried to accommodate disabled persons by providing alternatives, such as showing a customer a sample of food in a spoon or assembling meals elsewhere.

Oh brother...

Oh brother...

oh+no...+not+this+shit+again.jpg

I would be more concerned about bathroom access. I know one chipolte has a bathroom on the second floor of it and I dont see an elevator anywhere.

But the "Chipolte Experience?" give me a break.

Oh brother...

This is yet another instance when the wonderful invention called "mirrors" would be useful! YAY MIRRORS!!!

Maybe they could videotape "the experience" and have the disabled patrons watch TV at their table. This reminds me of a story I read a few years ago about a blind guy with a seeing eye dog suing a NJ restaurant because he didn't like his table. I don't think that one went anywhere though.

Forum List

Back