Ad playing Doritos for Eucharist yanked from Super Bowl contest

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Step aside Tim Tebow. The evangelical quarterback's pro-family ad was last year's Super Bowl ad dust up. In 2011, the hot spot is an entry in the annual Pepsi-owned Doritos Crash the Super Bowl ad contest that will never air for being over-the-top offensive to Catholics. It plays the sacrament for snack food.

But the body and blood of Christ are no joke to Catholics who believe they are in Communion with their God when they accept the Eucharist and the wine during Mass.

Hence the uproar among some believers when they saw one of the 5,000+ entries in the annual competition for a slot in the Super Bowl ad line up.

Feed your Flock begins with a Catholic priest at his desk surrounded by bills for the parish, which clearly needs more income in the collection plate (why else show the stack of bills?).

Since it's his job to offer spiritual food to the flock, he takes it to another level (the pits, I'd say). The video shows the faithful lining up for Communion and getting Doritos (in two flavors, no less) instead of the Eucharist, the sacramental bread which Catholics believe is the body of Christ. And, you guessed it, the sacramental wine, considered to be the blood of Christ, is dished out as Pepsi MAX.

You don't have to be Catholic to find this irredeemably offensive. Hence, I'm not embedding the video.

Ad playing Doritos for Eucharist yanked from Super Bowl contest - Faith & Reason

I'm Catholic and I don't find the ad offensive at all. What the hell is the big deal? People get so uptight over the stupidest shit.

If the Eucharist tasted like Doritos I might not be a not practicing Catholic.

You're lapsed? :eek: I shall pary for you.

And... I will write to the Pope and suggest that he swap the Eucharist for Doritos... That would work for me! Or chocolate. I'm open to be persuaded to either.

Step aside Tim Tebow. The evangelical quarterback's pro-family ad was last year's Super Bowl ad dust up. In 2011, the hot spot is an entry in the annual Pepsi-owned Doritos Crash the Super Bowl ad contest that will never air for being over-the-top offensive to Catholics. It plays the sacrament for snack food.

But the body and blood of Christ are no joke to Catholics who believe they are in Communion with their God when they accept the Eucharist and the wine during Mass.

Hence the uproar among some believers when they saw one of the 5,000+ entries in the annual competition for a slot in the Super Bowl ad line up.

Feed your Flock begins with a Catholic priest at his desk surrounded by bills for the parish, which clearly needs more income in the collection plate (why else show the stack of bills?).

Since it's his job to offer spiritual food to the flock, he takes it to another level (the pits, I'd say). The video shows the faithful lining up for Communion and getting Doritos (in two flavors, no less) instead of the Eucharist, the sacramental bread which Catholics believe is the body of Christ. And, you guessed it, the sacramental wine, considered to be the blood of Christ, is dished out as Pepsi MAX.

You don't have to be Catholic to find this irredeemably offensive. Hence, I'm not embedding the video.

Ad playing Doritos for Eucharist yanked from Super Bowl contest - Faith & Reason

I'm Catholic and I don't find the ad offensive at all. What the hell is the big deal? People get so uptight over the stupidest shit.

Why does the Eucharist have to taste like shit anyway? When I made my first communion, the nuns threatened us that we better not make a face when the priest placed it on our tongue.

Let's apply the Muhammad test.

What if the commercial showed Muhammed serving pork ribs at a tailgate party?

Let's never use that test again.

If we have to judge appropriateness based on what the most over-sensitive people find offensive, EVERYTHING would be inappropriate.

Besides I'm not sure most American Muslims were offended by those drawing (this is an ad that presumably will be shown mostly in the U.S.)

Why does the Eucharist have to taste like shit anyway? When I made my first communion, the nuns threatened us that we better not make a face when the priest placed it on our tongue.

:confused: The Eucharist doesn't have any taste. It's flavorless. It doesn't even taste like cardboard or paper or . . . anything.

:confused: The Eucharist doesn't have any taste. It's flavorless. It doesn't even taste like cardboard or paper or . . . anything.

Bland pasty and tasteless. Where does it say the body of Christ can't taste good?

The wine tastes like wine, why can't the eucharist taste like bread?

Last edited:

Bland pasty and tasteless. Where does it say the body of Christ can't taste good?

:lol: The wine tastes like sour, spoiled grape juice. I think they use it purposely so no one (like the priests) will be tempted to over indulge.

i think it's supposed to be matzoh. but i'm thinking an ad for streits using that setting might not be a great idea. lol. .

:lol: The wine tastes like sour, spoiled grape juice. I think they use it purposely so no one (like the priests) will be tempted to over indulge.

I've never drank the wine. It's always bothered me that 40 other people have sipped out of the cup ahead of me.

Forum List

Back