Actors & Actresses in Real Life

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
We have recently been subjected to a million repetitions of the expression that "Bill Cosby was America's Dad."

Well, to be more accurate (while accepting the figurativity of it all), "Cliff Huxtable was America's Dad." Bill Cosby, not so much.

Since I retired, one of the things I do to while away some hours is watching Youtube videos of the actors I see on the programs I enjoy. I've watched a lot of interviews of Game of Thrones actors, Poldark, Downton Abbey, NCIS, and so on. A few more obscure ones like Little Dorrit.

It is very striking how much less INTERESTING the actors are than the characters they play. Often, their level of intelligence comes out in interviews, and again often it is clear that they are nowhere near as intelligent or insightful as their stage personae. A lot of them don't even seem to grasp significant elements of the programs they are starring in.

As for people of more general popularity, George Clooney, Alex Baldwin, and Russell Crowe seem like airheads. Jim Carey? Joaquin Phoenix? Even people like Anthony Hopkins...not really overwhelming you with insights.

It's probably not a good idea to take these people seriously, especially when the subject moves away from playing pretend...which they all do pretty well.

Forum List

Back