Activist---the new 4 letter word

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
Is it just me or does it appear that anytime a form of media uses the word "activist", it is to somehow demean the person as a nut case and belittle their afforts? Seems to me that an activist is someone who is actually doing something they believe in instead of just offering it lip-service. Hell, maybe an activist is an underpaid lobbyist.

dilloduck said:
Is it just me or does it appear that anytime a form of media uses the word "activist", it is to somehow demean the person as a nut case and belittle their afforts? Seems to me that an activist is someone who is actually doing something they believe in instead of just offering it lip-service. Hell, maybe an activist is an underpaid lobbyist.

I find it odd that conservative idealogues are "activists" and liberal idealogues are "protestors". To me, the the obvious connotation stands out. Activists is trying to activate something. Trying to push foward. Create a new idea. Protestors are simply tearing down the old. Whining about what is instead of thinking of new ways to do things.

The LMM seems to think its a slur but i take it as a compliment that conservatives are pro-active while liberals are con-testing.

insein said:
I find it odd that conservative idealogues are "activists" and liberal idealogues are "protestors". To me, the the obvious connotation stands out. Activists is trying to activate something. Trying to push foward. Create a new idea. Protestors are simply tearing down the old. Whining about what is instead of thinking of new ways to do things.

The LMM seems to think its a slur but i take it as a compliment that conservatives are pro-active while liberals are con-testing.

I'm not quite sure it's strictly a party line deal. Conservatives are awfully fond of trashing "activist" judges. Maybe that's where it got its derogetory status.

dilloduck said:
I'm not quite sure it's strictly a party line deal. Conservatives are awfully fond of trashing "activist" judges. Maybe that's where it got its derogetory status.

Could be. An activist judge by definition is a BAD thing. Judges should not be creating. they should be interpreting.

dilloduck said:

I believe your right. Some of the people standing in front of Terri's hospice are just doing what they think is right,but the media loves to make them look like kooky religeous fanatics. Wanting someone to be fed,what a radical idea!

Forum List

Back