Acrobat Reader "DC"? Wtf?

Does the E-Pub file system download quicker than the pdf crap? I have no idea why anybody still uses the Adobe crap, but a lot of them do, and it sucks.
If you're talking about Pubs you'll have to ask Stagger, he's the authority............. :eusa_whistle:
As for pdf readers, I rarely use them any more, heck I don't even think I have one loaded on this laptop yet, haven't had a need.

I use the pdf a lot because I do a lot of downloading from HEARTH, Google Books, and archive.org., at which most files are optically scanned and it's necessary to use it. They convert to text and several variations, but whatever they're using to convert from optical to text thoroughly sucks, destroys the formatting and punctuation, and makes it a pain it the ass to reconstruct tables and the like. I haven't tried the E-Pub or a couple of the other readers yet, but hope they're better than the 'plain text' and the pdf junk. If I want to cite something, I usually have to download both the pdf and the text,.
I tend to download very, very, very little of anything and I can read pdfs online if I really need to (which is extremely rare) so it's not a high priority for me.

I have an old Kindle I can plug into my PC and move pdf's and other files back and forth to. There are a lot of 'out of print' books and magazine articles out there that University libraries are engaged in scanning and uploading to archive.org, Project Gutenberg, etc. I want to get before they disappear for whatever reason, so I can have them offline and carry around. Far cheaper than buying reprints from Google and the University presses.
Over the last couple of years we've managed to get rid of over 100 boxes of books from our rather extensive library, the idea is to get rid of them faster than we bring them in. Why books? The wife prefers hard copies over backlight induced eye strain so the downsizing is slow going in the book department. I've tried unsuccessfully to get her to go with an e-reader but to no avail.

I bought mine at a garage sale, one of the first models they sold or maybe the second, and it holds tons of files, a lot of mine run into the 800 to 1200 page optical scan files, and texts are a lot smaller and you can still see the images and photos. A tablet is of course a lot better with the bigger screens, and I plan to up grade to one of those, they're not too expensive at the moment. She would be surprised at what they hold and how convenient they are; I have my entire office lined with shelves, and waist high+ stacks I have little paths through to get to my desk and the shelves at the moment, and if I could get them all in files I would toss them in a heartbeat.

If you're talking about Pubs you'll have to ask Stagger, he's the authority............. :eusa_whistle:
As for pdf readers, I rarely use them any more, heck I don't even think I have one loaded on this laptop yet, haven't had a need.

I use the pdf a lot because I do a lot of downloading from HEARTH, Google Books, and archive.org., at which most files are optically scanned and it's necessary to use it. They convert to text and several variations, but whatever they're using to convert from optical to text thoroughly sucks, destroys the formatting and punctuation, and makes it a pain it the ass to reconstruct tables and the like. I haven't tried the E-Pub or a couple of the other readers yet, but hope they're better than the 'plain text' and the pdf junk. If I want to cite something, I usually have to download both the pdf and the text,.
I tend to download very, very, very little of anything and I can read pdfs online if I really need to (which is extremely rare) so it's not a high priority for me.

I have an old Kindle I can plug into my PC and move pdf's and other files back and forth to. There are a lot of 'out of print' books and magazine articles out there that University libraries are engaged in scanning and uploading to archive.org, Project Gutenberg, etc. I want to get before they disappear for whatever reason, so I can have them offline and carry around. Far cheaper than buying reprints from Google and the University presses.
Over the last couple of years we've managed to get rid of over 100 boxes of books from our rather extensive library, the idea is to get rid of them faster than we bring them in. Why books? The wife prefers hard copies over backlight induced eye strain so the downsizing is slow going in the book department. I've tried unsuccessfully to get her to go with an e-reader but to no avail.

I bought mine at a garage sale, one of the first models they sold or maybe the second, and it holds tons of files, a lot of mine run into the 800 to 1200 page optical scan files, and texts are a lot smaller and you can still see the images and photos. A tablet is of course a lot better with the bigger screens, and I plan to up grade to one of those, they're not too expensive at the moment. She would be surprised at what they hold and how convenient they are; I have my entire office lined with shelves, and waist high+ stacks I have little paths through to get to my desk and the shelves at the moment, and if I could get them all in files I would toss them in a heartbeat.
She already knows how much data they hold and how convenient they can be, the problem is the rapid eye strain due to the back lighting on the screen, hell I get that just posting on this forum.

She already knows how much data they hold and how convenient they can be, the problem is the rapid eye strain due to the back lighting on the screen, hell I get that just posting on this forum.

Don't get a back-lit e-reader then. I have owned 3 e-readers, none of them back-lit. I just bought an open-box Kindle 4th generation for a bit under $40 on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

There's no reason she has to use an e-reader with a lit screen. :)

The old one I have looks like an old Etch-A Sketch, no lighting on it at all.

Don't get a back-lit e-reader then. I have owned 3 e-readers, none of them back-lit. I just bought an open-box Kindle 4th generation for a bit under $40 on ebay a couple of weeks ago.

There's no reason she has to use an e-reader with a lit screen. :)
Describe pixels..........

Then how do the pages show up to be read........ :eusa_whistle:

Grey background, black letters; can't see it with the lights turned off. The early ones use 'E-Ink Pearl' technology, specifically to reduce eye strain.

In the years since, Amazon has introduced a steady stream of new Kindle types and models; however, until the debut of the Kindle Fire in 2011, none of the Kindles featured backlighting.

Are Kindles Backlit?

Grey background, black letters; can't see it with the lights turned off. The early ones use 'E-Ink Pearl' technology, specifically to reduce eye strain.

In the years since, Amazon has introduced a steady stream of new Kindle types and models; however, until the debut of the Kindle Fire in 2011, none of the Kindles featured backlighting.

Are Kindles Backlit?
Okay, I used the wrong descriptor. Take backlight and replace it with screen light............ Pixels.......
Besides, for all intent and purposes you're preaching to the choir, I already know all of this, it's the wife who's the immovable object at this point in time. Until something changes for her it would be like getting Luddy Nuddy to become a Westboroan ultra-conservative overnight..........

Last edited:
Found this reader and I like it a lot, smooth and quick; takes a little time to get familiar with but does a lot more than the other 'free' E-readers I tried out, including converting back and forth from the different file systems. Don't know if it reads pdf's by itself or not, since I have the Foxit as 'default' and it finds that and opens them it.

calibre - E-book management

Had trouble with the 'standard' download but went to the list of assorted Os's and downloaded the 64 bit version.

Found this reader and I like it a lot, smooth and quick; takes a little time to get familiar with but does a lot more than the other 'free' E-readers I tried out, including converting back and forth from the different file systems. Don't know if it reads pdf's by itself or not, since I have the Foxit as 'default' and it finds that and opens them it.

Had trouble with the 'standard' download but went to the list of assorted Os's and downloaded the 64 bit version.

When I say e-reader, I'm talking about the portal device that you read books on. Calibre is a PC program, I would not call it an e-reader. I use calibre to convert books when needed, but I don't use it to read books, that's what my Kindle is for. :)

When I say e-reader, I'm talking about the portal device that you read books on. Calibre is a PC program, I would not call it an e-reader. I use calibre to convert books when needed, but I don't use it to read books, that's what my Kindle is for. :)

Some of us can afford real computers and don't have to rely on kids' toys, so we need an E-reader that reads the files in various E-Reader file formats; it's also used to convert from one type of file to another. Sites like Archive.org offer several formats, some sites only offer E-Pub format or some other similar reader format,and E-Pub files are usually considerably smaller that the pdf versions, and of better quality, hence the reason for programs like Calibre. Most of the other E-Readers only offer 'free' versions with very limited functionality as well.

Some of us can afford real computers and don't have to rely on kids' toys, so we need an E-reader that reads the files in various E-Reader file formats; it's also used to convert from one type of file to another. Sites like Archive.org offer several formats, some sites only offer E-Pub format or some other similar reader format,and E-Pub files are usually considerably smaller that the pdf versions, and of better quality, hence the reason for programs like Calibre. Most of the other E-Readers only offer 'free' versions with very limited functionality as well.

What on earth are you talking about? Kids toys? Is that what you think a Kindle is?

An e-reader is generally defined as a portable electronic device for reading books. Definition of E-READER

What on earth are you talking about? Kids toys? Is that what you think a Kindle is?

An e-reader is generally defined as a portable electronic device for reading books. Definition of E-READER

I know what they are, I own a Kindle; no way it's comparable to a computer. The kid at Best Buy lied to you.

I know what they are, I own a Kindle; no way it's comparable to a computer. The kid at Best Buy lied to you.

Again, what are you talking about? I never said an Kindle is comparable to a computer. I said that calibre is a computer program rather than an e-reader.

If we're talking about someone using an e-reader rather than paper books, talking about reading on a PC is probably not going to convince them. That's especially true if they already won't use an e-reader.

I'm still not sure what you were talking about with your "kids' toys" comment.

Forum List

Back