Acrobat Reader "DC"? Wtf?

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
So I takes a (rare) look at my desktop just now and there's a new icon called "Acrobat Reader DC".

Not having any memory of installing such a "DC" thingy I Googles it, and I finds several links from Adobe itself assuring that it's "safe" and "trusted". Instantly suspicious.

Then I finds more links warning that it installs Chrome spyware surreptitiously. I don't use Chrome but still..... dafuk happened to Acrobat Reader Period? I rarely use DC unless the power goes out.

Anybody else notice this?

According to this page if you do run Chrome there is a way to prevent it installing, but you'd have to know to do that in advance.

Bastids!

So I takes a (rare) look at my desktop just now and there's a new icon called "Acrobat Reader DC".

Not having any memory of installing such a "DC" thingy I Googles it, and I finds several links from Adobe itself assuring that it's "safe" and "trusted". Instantly suspicious.

Then I finds more links warning that it installs Chrome spyware surreptitiously. I don't use Chrome but still..... dafuk happened to Acrobat Reader Period? I rarely use DC unless the power goes out.

According to this page if you do run Chrome there is a way to prevent it installing, but you'd have to know to do that in advance.

Bastids!

I've got it on my PC.....I was under the impression it is just the most recent version of Acrobat. If you have Acrobat, and have automatic updates on, I'd guess that's how it went to DC without you knowing. :dunno:

Bastids!

I've got it on my PC.....I was under the impression it is just the most recent version of Acrobat. If you have Acrobat, and have automatic updates on, I'd guess that's how it went to DC without you knowing. :dunno:

I did do a (manual) update recently. It had to be then. Granted I wasn't watching it with a fine tooth comb but I never noticed a "DC". There definitely wasn't any splash about it. Devious creeps.

Matter of fact that's what DC stands for.

Last edited:

Bastids!

I did do a (manual) update recently. It had to be then. Granted I wasn't watching it with a fine tooth comb but I never noticed a "DC". There definitely wasn't any splash about it. Devious creeps.

I only looked it up briefly, but apparently DC stands for Document Cloud. The Adobe page doesn't offer plain Acrobat anymore that I saw, just Acrobat DC.

I definitely agree with checking to make sure unexpected software isn't dangerous, but I think this is just a minor rebranding thing, and it's still pretty much the same program it was before.

Bastids!

I only looked it up briefly, but apparently DC stands for Document Cloud. The Adobe page doesn't offer plain Acrobat anymore that I saw, just Acrobat DC.

I definitely agree with checking to make sure unexpected software isn't dangerous, but I think this is just a minor rebranding thing, and it's still pretty much the same program it was before.

Just the word "cloud" gives me the creeps. :eek:

I don't want anything I do anywhere in a freaking "cloud". That's just transparent spy-enabling. "Say, you've got a lot of money there --- why don't I just hold it for you. You can have it uh, anytime you want".

Bastids!

I don't want anything I do anywhere in a freaking "cloud". That's just transparent spy-enabling. "Say, you've got a lot of money there --- why don't I just hold it for you. You can have it uh, anytime you want".

I worry about losing information, too. I like to have my own physical copy of things, although I've gotten over that for the most part where my video games are concerned. :)

Bastids!

I worry about losing information, too. I like to have my own physical copy of things, although I've gotten over that for the most part where my video games are concerned. :)

I used Google Drive once. I think I was shipping some files, just briefly. Left it alone for a while, then next time I went to use it I found that Google had been mining my hard drive for other files and putting them on its "cloud" without my knowledge. Files I never intended to ship to anybody. I got turned on to Dropbox after that but for all I know Google is still sniffing around for more files.

Bastids.

Bastids!
It is from Adobe but it's probably a free trial as it's a monthly/annual subscription. Get rid of it and stop letting Adobe do automatic updates/upgrades.

Acrobat DC uninstalled Acrobat XI | How to get Acrobat XI back

Bastids!
It is from Adobe but it's probably a free trial as it's a monthly/annual subscription. Get rid of it and stop letting Adobe do automatic updates/upgrades.

I did all that and XI was almost set up. Then it started asking for a name, organization and serial number. I've never had to do any of that before. I bluffed through the first two but of course I have no serial number. It won't let me reinstall.

I've had way too much of Adobe's shenanigans. Does anybody else have a pdf reader?

Bastids!

I did all that and XI was almost set up. Then it started asking for a name, organization and serial number. I've never had to do any of that before. I bluffed through the first two but of course I have no serial number. It won't let me reinstall.

I've had way too much of Adobe's shenanigans. Does anybody else have a pdf reader?
The best free PDF reader 2017 | TechRadar

Ditch the PDF headaches: Three safer, speedier Adobe Reader alternatives

Bastids!

Ding Ding Ding! Thank you sir. Ended up with Nitro. Foxit was too complex. Not crazy about the red border but it works just fine.

BUH bye Adobe. Devious creeps.

Bastids!

Ding Ding Ding! Thank you sir. Ended up with Nitro. Foxit was too complex. Not crazy about the red border but it works just fine.

Nitro is the one I've never used, had a serious negative probably a decade ago with Nitro so that's always colored my view of Nitro. Not saying there's currently any issue with Nitro today, I just never gave them a second chance.

Bastids!

Nitro is the one I've never used, had a serious negative probably a decade ago with Nitro so that's always colored my view of Nitro. Not saying there's currently any issue with Nitro today, I just never gave them a second chance.

How could you have a serious negative if you never used it?

Was its last name "Glycerine"?

How could you have a serious negative if you never used it?

Was its last name "Glycerine"?
No, I meant the one you decided to use, Nitro has had a few different versions in the last decade.

Does the E-Pub file system download quicker than the pdf crap? I have no idea why anybody still uses the Adobe crap, but a lot of them do, and it sucks.

Does the E-Pub file system download quicker than the pdf crap? I have no idea why anybody still uses the Adobe crap, but a lot of them do, and it sucks.
If you're talking about Pubs you'll have to ask Stagger, he's the authority............. :eusa_whistle:
As for pdf readers, I rarely use them any more, heck I don't even think I have one loaded on this laptop yet, haven't had a need.

If you're talking about Pubs you'll have to ask Stagger, he's the authority............. :eusa_whistle:
As for pdf readers, I rarely use them any more, heck I don't even think I have one loaded on this laptop yet, haven't had a need.

I use the pdf a lot because I do a lot of downloading from HEARTH, Google Books, and archive.org., at which most files are optically scanned and it's necessary to use it. They convert to text and several variations, but whatever they're using to convert from optical to text thoroughly sucks, destroys the formatting and punctuation, and makes it a pain it the ass to reconstruct tables and the like. I haven't tried the E-Pub or a couple of the other readers yet, but hope they're better than the 'plain text' and the pdf junk. If I want to cite something, I usually have to download both the pdf and the text,.

Downloaded the Foxit freebie and like it just fine, it does work faster than the Adobe software, and I don't find it 'complex' at all, has pretty much all the features I used in the Adobe reader, only took about 3 minutes to figure it out and where everything was. Downloaded the ' IceCream' reader as well, but don't have any E-pub files yet, so it will have to wait. There is some sort of free Editor program over there I might get later.

Last edited:

I use the pdf a lot because I do a lot of downloading from HEARTH, Google Books, and archive.org., at which most files are optically scanned and it's necessary to use it. They convert to text and several variations, but whatever they're using to convert from optical to text thoroughly sucks, destroys the formatting and punctuation, and makes it a pain it the ass to reconstruct tables and the like. I haven't tried the E-Pub or a couple of the other readers yet, but hope they're better than the 'plain text' and the pdf junk. If I want to cite something, I usually have to download both the pdf and the text,.
I tend to download very, very, very little of anything and I can read pdfs online if I really need to (which is extremely rare) so it's not a high priority for me.

I tend to download very, very, very little of anything and I can read pdfs online if I really need to (which is extremely rare) so it's not a high priority for me.

I have an old Kindle I can plug into my PC and move pdf's and other files back and forth to. There are a lot of 'out of print' books and magazine articles out there that University libraries are engaged in scanning and uploading to archive.org, Project Gutenberg, etc. I want to get before they disappear for whatever reason, so I can have them offline and carry around. Far cheaper than buying reprints from Google and the University presses.

I have an old Kindle I can plug into my PC and move pdf's and other files back and forth to. There are a lot of 'out of print' books and magazine articles out there that University libraries are engaged in scanning and uploading to archive.org, Project Gutenberg, etc. I want to get before they disappear for whatever reason, so I can have them offline and carry around. Far cheaper than buying reprints from Google and the University presses.
Over the last couple of years we've managed to get rid of over 100 boxes of books from our rather extensive library, the idea is to get rid of them faster than we bring them in. Why books? The wife prefers hard copies over backlight induced eye strain so the downsizing is slow going in the book department. I've tried unsuccessfully to get her to go with an e-reader but to no avail.

New Topics

Forum List

Back