ACORN funding Cancelled

Pilgrim for instance, is definitely a Republican, although at least he's a rational Republican, unlike some people on this board.

But I have voted for more democrats than republicans :tongue:

FULL DISCLOSURE: I live in MA and the challengers to my democratic incumbents are also democrats about 50% of the time :).

This is what I want to happen. First all funding to ACORN and it's subsidiaries be stopped ASAP.

Gather the facts.

2012 when Obama is out, then a full investigation under the RICO act started.

ACORN isn't contracted by the government.

Sigh.

So much misinformation.
And another reason why comparing ACORN to Haliburton is like comparing apples to helicopters. It makes one wonder why Haliburton was brought up, eh?

If ACORN isn't being paid by the government, thus contracted, then what's the connection to Obama that FoxNews keeps trying to push?

Sigh.

So much misinformation.

you're right. they "partnered" with the govt. i'd call it a distinction without a difference, but it's moot now anyway.

http://www.politico.com/static/PPM130_censusacorn.html

Ahh, I see. I'd agree that there doesn't seem to be a difference to me...

"Partnered", "Contracted", it's a private company being paid by the government to do a job that would otherwise be done by the government itself, right?

Thus the comparison to Halliburton...

All I know is that none of the average Joes I know, know who ACORN is.
I don't know who that says less about, you or them.

But, who really cares anyway? These people are just another Halliburton. A private company doing contract work for the government that has a lot of problems with corruption. Seems to me if the government were doing the things they contract ACORN to do themselves, none of this would have ever happened.
But...but....but...but....THEY did it toooooooooooooooooo!!!!! :rolleyes:

Well, they did it too, and they're not in jail. Yet you all seem set on sending ACORN folks to jail.

Personally I don't care if ACORN people go to jail or not, if they did the crime, send 'em to jail. I'm commenting on the lack of attention right-wing folks paid to a similar circumstance in the previous adminstration.

And, mind you, the jury is still out on ACORN'S guilt. Murdoch News outlets have been known to exaggerate, obfuscate, and outright lie in political situations.

This is what I want to happen. First all funding to ACORN and it's subsidiaries be stopped ASAP.

Gather the facts.

2012 when Obama is out, then a full investigation under the RICO act started.

Like a RICO investigation is currently running for Halliburton? Oh, no I guess that never happened...

Sigh.

So much misinformation.

you're right. they "partnered" with the govt. i'd call it a distinction without a difference, but it's moot now anyway.

http://www.politico.com/static/PPM130_censusacorn.html

Ahh, I see. I'd agree that there doesn't seem to be a difference to me...

"Partnered", "Contracted", it's a private company being paid by the government to do a job that would otherwise be done by the government itself, right?

Thus the comparison to Halliburton...
I could be wrong (the horror!) but by partnering with the Census I don't believe the community groups are receiving money.

Being contracted by the government means that you are hired to perform a service. As far as I can tell ACORN has never been hired by the government.

The only people that do are loyal FoxNews viewers.

I also know that ACORN is in the process of bringing a lawsuit against FoxNews for, among other things, slander, and doctoring of the videos they presented.

I don't know who I distrust more, lawyers representing ACORN or the right-wing sleaze machine. It's a toss-up.

But, who really cares anyway? These people are just another Halliburton. A private company doing contract work for the government that has a lot of problems with corruption. Seems to me if the government were doing the things they contract ACORN to do themselves, none of this would have ever happened.

Well Charlie Gibson doesn't know who Acorn is or what they have done and he was a major anchor on one of the new's channels that I am positive you and your friends watch on a daily basis, you debunk Fox, well if it were not for Fox the feds would have given them another 8 billion dollars out of the no stimulus stimulus bill with your tax dollars so that they could continue to defraud the government. I think that it's high time you switched channels.:lol::lol:

So, ACORN isn't even getting any funding from the Government?

Then what the hell is the big deal, politically, anyway? How is FoxNews tying it to Obama at all?

I have to admit, I haven't been paying alot of attention to the ACORN thing, other than what I've taken in through various short views of FoxNews, and through these boards...

Well Charlie Gibson doesn't know who Acorn is or what they have done and he was a major anchor on one of the new's channels that I am positive you and your friends watch on a daily basis, you debunk Fox, well if it were not for Fox the feds would have given them another 8 billion dollars out of the no stimulus stimulus bill with your tax dollars so that they could continue to defraud the government. I think that it's high time you switched channels.:lol::lol:

Now, I'm confused, didn't Ravi's article just say that they weren't paid contractors?

Then what the hell is the big deal, politically, anyway? How is FoxNews tying it to Obama at all?

I have to admit, I haven't been paying alot of attention to the ACORN thing, other than what I've taken in through various short views of FoxNews, and through these boards...
They can apply for grants that must be used in very narrow ways.

For instance, they've been given a grant in the past to remove lead paint from the houses of poor people.

There probably is some corruption in ACORN, as there is with any large group, but I don't think it is to the extent that the Republicans claim. It will be interesting to see if the unedited tapes are ever released.

As for Obama's ties to ACORN, I think it goes like this. Obama is president, ACORN exists, therefore Obama is ACORN.

The only people that do are loyal FoxNews viewers.

I also know that ACORN is in the process of bringing a lawsuit against FoxNews for, among other things, slander, and doctoring of the videos they presented.

I don't know who I distrust more, lawyers representing ACORN or the right-wing sleaze machine. It's a toss-up.

That's not true, either. The federal government awards grants to community groups every year. The groups must compete for the grants. ACORN had no more hope of receiving a grant than any other group.

Don't you guys ever get tired of the lies or self-deception?

A very useful site: Congressional Votes Database - Washington Post. I'd bookmark it.

No votes [D]: Roland Burris, Bob Casey, Dick Durbin, Kirsten Gillibrand, Patrick Leahy, Sheldon Whitehouse

Not voting [D]: Robert Byrd, Barbara Mikulski

No vote Independent: Bernard Sanders

No votes [R]: none

Not voting [R]: Richard Burr, Tom Coburn, Lindsey Graham, Judd Gregg, Kay Bailey Hutchison, John McCain, David Vitter

The rest voted yes.

Isn't it interesting that of those "not voting," with the exception of Lindsey Graham and Kaye Bailey Hutchison who is running for governor of Texas, they are ALL up for reelection in 2010 and with the exception of Gregg all those remaining four are from red states where they need the black vote.

Hell, even I have the bawls to admit that Acorn got what it deserved, yet those guys can't let anything get in the way of the all-important vote? But wait--isn't that also Acorn's agenda?

There are questions of corruption at acorn so that is why I approve of all previously approved taxpayer funding to them being temporarily stopped. There should be an investigation and if no wrongdoing is found then ACORN should be allowed to compete for the funds agian.

That was all I meant in the OP, but i love the passion you guys have had and the discussion offshoots. I'm going to post a little more here and see where it takes you.

The House version of the stimulus bill does indeed include about $1 billion in funding for the Community Development Block Grants (CDBG) program and another $4.2 billion ($2.2 billion in the Senate’s version) in funding for the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP). Neither program is new.

Both programs hand out grants only on a competitive basis. ACORN – and any other nonprofit entity would be eligible to compete for NSP funds (as it already does for CDBG funds).

Just some facts to bring into the debate.

Last edited:

For instance, they've been given a grant in the past to remove lead paint from the houses of poor people.

There probably is some corruption in ACORN, as there is with any large group, but I don't think it is to the extent that the Republicans claim. It will be interesting to see if the unedited tapes are ever released.

As for Obama's ties to ACORN, I think it goes like this. Obama is president, ACORN exists, therefore Obama is ACORN.

You are The Perfect Party Member Citizen Ravi. Never let reality effect Your Loyalty to Fearless Leader. Fearless Leader has No History with ACORN. Keep drinking, Kool-Aid good now.

That's the thing, though, PP, are the questions real?

Or are they just heavily edited nonsense like the tape of poor Terri Shaivo?

I don't think the lack of funding will hurt ACORN, but it may very well hurt those that benefit from the grants. And that's just a shame.

If these tapes have even the hint of being gamed I sincerely hope those that made the tapes spend a long time in prison.

They are the ones that seem to be afraid to release the unedited tapes.

Do you have evidence that unedited tapes were not released?
We don't need evidence that they weren't released. All one has to do is suspect they weren't released and that allows us to conclude that there is a conspiracy. *thinking Pentagon 9/11 conspiracy claptrap right now*

:popcorn:

Gosh, I sure wish everyone got this excited when it was discovered that all the viedotapes of CIA agents doing their torture thing had been destroyed. (And I shall await Maurauder's "strawman" rant... Except this time, he would be right.) Just thought I'd throw that out there as being a little more disconcerting than what the tapes of Acorn employees revealed.

You are The Perfect Party Member Citizen Ravi. Never let reality effect Your Loyalty to Fearless Leader. Fearless Leader has No History with ACORN. Keep drinking, Kool-Aid good now.
:lol: I was a registered Republican until last year.

I'm not defending them. I'm suspicious of a right wing group making a heavily edited video to go after a group the Republicans hate more than terrorists.

What is wrong with seeing the unedited footage?

nothing. you will when it all goes to court,, unless the defense lawyer files a motion to prevent it.
Yes, they will have to release it then. Too bad Congress has jumped on the bandwagon of convicting without all the evidence being presented. But hardly surprising.

It was a case of enough is enough. Acorn had been warned and decided they didn't need to clean up their act. It's too bad, because I think organizations like that serve a useful purpose if they don't overreach.

New Topics

Forum List

Back