ACLU Will Sue to Block Alabama

Under the extreme law, Alabama public schools will require children to provide proof of citizenship when enrolling in kindergarten and grade school

And why is this a problem?

and require police to demand “papers” from people they stop whom they suspect are not authorized to be in the U.S.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

In other words, a driver's license? Sounds like that's what we do now.

I hope ALL states do the same thing! There's been a FEDERAL law for the same thing, but our leaders just don't seem to care and won't enforce it. I don't see how they can file a lawsuit for this when it's actually a Federal law and should be followed anyway!

I hope ALL states do the same thing! There's been a FEDERAL law for the same thing, but our leaders just don't seem to care and won't enforce it. I don't see how they can file a lawsuit for this when it's actually a Federal law and should be followed anyway!

It's not a "Federal law", it's a "Federal Power" that's been given to Congress. Congress has the power over immigration, NOT THE STATES.

Add in..that illegal immigration has been going DOWN under President Obama.

It's not a "Federal law", it's a "Federal Power" that's been given to Congress. Congress has the power over immigration, NOT THE STATES.

Add in..that illegal immigration has been going DOWN under President Obama.

You're right about Congress, they have the full authority...but it is a law:

Immigration | LII / Legal Information Institute

Your right to equal protection under the law - protection against unlawful discrimination......ACLU Website

Now if you are an American living in a "sanctuary city", your right to equal protection to federal, state, and local laws are being violated with the help of the ACLU.

Under the extreme law, Alabama public schools will require children to provide proof of citizenship when enrolling in kindergarten and grade school

well i agree , at least as far as enrollment goes. in fact it's highly redundant in light of all the processing in place already.

and require police to demand “papers” from people they stop whom they suspect are not authorized to be in the U.S.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

In other words, a driver's license? Sounds like that's what we do now.

well, on the surface it doesn't sound like a big deal at all Bro, but let's say you're out for a walk on as nice day, which because you forgot your ID turns it into an overnight in one of the many lucrative detention facilities looking for biz

these are the pitfalls of deputizing dopes you see......

'Since 1929 illegal entry into the United States is a federal crime, up to six months in prison for the first offense and 20 years for the second offense. Hiring illegal immigrants carries a maximum penalty under federal statute of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.'

first off, giving some of these misfortunates room& board + 3 squares a day isn't exactly a detriment from where they're comming from

2nd, the illegals are beconed in on the heels of HB-1 , you want to really put the keebosh to immigration ? make employers pay unemp, SS, etc on HB-I's, and watch how fast both problems take care of themselves...

~S~

Wonder why it is that there are so many people who are afraid to rid the country of illegal alien criminals and always pop up to try and block any attempt to make life difficult for them? When you have roaches in your house, if you don't get them out, there will always be more.

Please tell us what it is about the bill you don't like. I know you've read it over completely and have an understanding of it because I know you'd never mouth off about things you don't know bout.

Just as with as with Arizona’s ‘1070,’ the Alabama law is un-Constitutional as it preempts Federal authority:
Today, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in favor of Bolton’s preliminary injunction on several major provisions of SB-1070. In their stinging legal critiques, 9th Circuit Judges Richard Paez and John Noonan wrote that each of the provisions blocked by Bolton are outright “unconstitutional” and that SB-1070 is preempted by federal law and foreign policy:

By imposing mandatory obligations on state and local officers, Arizona interferes with the federal government’s authority to implement its priorities and strategies in law enforcement, turning Arizona officers into state-directed DHS agents. [...]

[T]he record unmistakably demonstrates that S.B. 1070 has had a deleterious effect on the United States’ foreign relations, which weighs in favor of preemption. [...]

Finally, the threat of 50 states layering their own immigration enforcement rules on top of the INA [Immigration and Nationality Act] also weighs in favor of preemption.

U.S. Appeals Court Rules Against Arizona’s Immigration Law | ThinkProgress

Moreover:

The fact is the solution MUST be a federal one and this has long been resolved by the mandate of the Constitution and the precedence of Supreme Court Cases. In INS v. Chada, 462 U.S. 941 (1983) the court said that the “plenary authority of Congress over aliens under Art. I, § 8, cl. 4, is not open to question…” The Chada Court cites Buckley v. Valeo, 424 U.S. 1 (1976) which states: “Congress has plenary authority in all cases in which it has substantive legislative jurisdiction, McCulloch v. Maryland, 4 Wheat. 316 (1819), so long as the exercise of that authority does not offend some other constitutional restriction."

The McCulloch Court also solidified that the Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land. The Constitution NOT the State Law of Arizona on this issue that affects ALL the borders of the United States and not just Arizona’s.

Democracia-Ahora: SB 1070 Merging the Gap between Proponents and Opponents

Given this abundance of case law, and the more strident nature of the Alabama statue, any court will have no choice as to strike it down. The issue has noting to do with immigration, illegal or otherwise; it has to do with the Constitutional principle of the supremacy of Federal law and the prohibition of the states to interfere with that law.

It’s un-Constitutional and illegal:

The Court reasoned that illegal aliens and their children, though not citizens of the United States or Texas, are people "in any ordinary sense of the term" and, therefore, are afforded Fourteenth Amendment protections. Since the state law severely disadvantaged the children of illegal aliens, by denying them the right to an education, and because Texas could not prove that the regulation was needed to serve a "compelling state interest," the Court struck down the law.

Plyler v. Doe | The Oyez Project at IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law

ACLU Will Sue to Block Alabama Immigration Bill
EFE/Al Día, News Report,
Jun 06, 2011

The ACLU issued a press release Saturday announcing that it plans to sue the state of Alabama over its new immigration bill modeled after Arizona’s SB 1070.

New America Media: Arizona Watch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACLU Sues Over GA Anti-Immigrant Law Hispanically Speaking News
Jun 03, 2011

A coalition of civil rights groups filed a class action lawsuit challenging Georgia’s discriminatory anti-immigrant law passed last month and inspired by Arizona’s notorious SB 1070.

New America Media: Arizona Watch

There are some interesting editorials on Arizona Watch.

" just because you advocate terrorism does not mean you cant come to amerika " ted kennedy quoted before 9/11 the tape was played on fox news 14 june 2002

we deserve everything we r getting !

Petition to Defund and Expose ACLU
URGENT CALL TO ACTION
The ACLU: a wolf in sheep's clothing
Protect our religious and moral heritage...

Petition to Defund and Expose ACLU

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject:
DEFUND THE ACLU!
To:
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher
Sen. Dianne Feinstein
Sen. Barbara Boxer

May 17, 2011

For many years,we have been treated like second class,non-citizens. Illegal aliens,non-citizens,criminals,are treated better than Christian citizens! Christian Attorney organizations,are supported by citizen donations. The ACLU is given MILLIONS of taxpayers' dollars' to fight against the rights of taxpaying,Americans! Why is this abusive,discriminatory behavior approved of and supported by our federal government and policy makers?!

Congress.org - Letter to Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-California): DEFUND THE ACLU!

GOOD.
i'm sorry, but you're dumb as hell. the aclu does not receive federal money.

jesus, some people just can't be bothered to learn the facts - they just fill the gaps with truthiness.

Forum List

Back