ACLU Sues Newark

the suit goes away and costs nothing if the city opens up the process...

just saying if it costs them money it's not the aclu that'll be the cause of it

OK, so can I assume if another group, say the Rainbow Coalition, were to give a zillion dollars to the Los Angeles public schools people wouldn't be up in arms demanding to know how the money would be spent and happy to accept the help of the ACLU in seeking transparency...........? :eusa_whistle:

I would make a large waiver the teachers union is involved wanting a piece of the pie.
If for nothing else to scream loudly how they are for the children in needing bigger salaries.

I think you nailed it. The teachers are bicthing because they are being asked to contribute more to their health insurance and pension. The teachers union will do whatever it can to cause problems.

Isn't that exactly what is going on in this suit? I don't know who the plaintiff(s) is/are, but I would be willing to bet they might be a few parents of students at one of the Newark schools.

Is the ACLU asking about all the money spent in the Newark school system?
And why wait until now?
This is the only money that is being hidden.

Then show me a link that details all the money spent in the Newark School system.

fair enough.

Here's the thing. ACLU would have a point if it were tax money. It's not, it was a donation to be used for schools, and by suing, they are taking money from the state for no other reason than they want to know.

this has zilch to do with civil liberties.

Agreed that it's a stupid suit. However, I'm not sure where you get that they are getting financial gain out of this. Sounds to me from the article you posted that all they are suing for is information about the process and where the money is going. Did I miss something else?

court time cost money, prepping for court cost money and time.

what's the civil liberty that's being abused?

did anyone even ask if there was a completed plan? cuz I haven't heard of one.

I do not disagree with anything you just said. I still don't see the financial gain for the ACLU here.

OK, so can I assume if another group, say the Rainbow Coalition, were to give a zillion dollars to the Los Angeles public schools people wouldn't be up in arms demanding to know how the money would be spent and happy to accept the help of the ACLU in seeking transparency...........? :eusa_whistle:

I would make a large waiver the teachers union is involved wanting a piece of the pie.
If for nothing else to scream loudly how they are for the children in needing bigger salaries.

I think you nailed it. The teachers are bicthing because they are being asked to contribute more to their health insurance and pension. The teachers union will do whatever it can to cause problems.

Thanks, That should have read wager. This definitely smells wheres mine.

Agreed that it's a stupid suit. However, I'm not sure where you get that they are getting financial gain out of this. Sounds to me from the article you posted that all they are suing for is information about the process and where the money is going. Did I miss something else?

I do not disagree with anything you just said. I still don't see the financial gain for the ACLU here.

They are probably getting money from the Teachers Union. Here is an interesting fact, the teachers Union is a private organization so they don't have to disclose how they spend there money. The ACLU never asked for their records. But now they are asking how a prizvate citizens money is being spent.

Well, there is only one way to know where the money gets spent and that is exactly why parents are seeking to LEGALLY FORCE TRANSPARENCY which presumably would EXPOSE and PREVENT any such ABUSE.

Last edited:

Well, there is only one way to know where the money gets spent and that is exactly why they are seeking to LEGALLY FORCE TRANSPARENCY which presumably would EXPOSE and PREVENT any such ABUSE.

Abuse of money in the school system in NJ? Say it aint so. Hah, where have you people been. I have no problem with how this money is used since I wasn't screwed over in order to get it. If you people are so concrened about waste demand the ACLU go after the private money that is being flushed away without any accountability.

Well, there is only one way to know where the money gets spent and that is exactly why parents are seeking to LEGALLY FORCE TRANSPARENCY which presumably would EXPOSE and PREVENT any such ABUSE.

School districts are required by law to report expenses. Not plans.

They are probably getting money from the Teachers Union. Here is an interesting fact, the teachers Union is a private organization so they don't have to disclose how they spend there money. The ACLU never asked for their records. But now they are asking how a prizvate citizens money is being spent.

Ah... but technically, they are asking the public institution (school) how the money will be spent... not the private citizen.

It's a dumb suit. They should simply have requested the information from the school. If the school refused to proved the information, they should have made a public stink about it. If that didn't work, then I can see a suit for disclosure. However, that should have been the last resort, not the first thought.

If the teacher's union gave money to the school district the parents would have the same right to know how the school district spent the money.

The stupid is thick on this thread.

Ah... but technically, they are asking the public institution (school) how the money will be spent... not the private citizen.

It's a dumb suit. They should simply have requested the information from the school. If the school refused to proved the information, they should have made a public stink about it. If that didn't work, then I can see a suit for disclosure. However, that should have been the last resort, not the first thought.

:lol: That is exactly what happened... The ACLU is not "suing" for money or damages, they are merely filing a legal motion, filing suit, or "suing", on behalf of the parents in order to force transparency.

That's exactly what happened. The parents have been asking the school district for the information for an entire year.

:lol: That is exactly what happened... The ACLU is not "suing" for money or damages, they are merely filing a legal motion, filing suit, or "suing", on behalf of the parents in order to force transparency.

right... but it looks like that was their first choice, not last option. That's my main issue here. I could be wrong. They might have done it the way I laid out. As I don't have any real information other than what has been reported, I have to go with that.

You folks might want to forget about this knee-jerk, "anything the ACLU does is suspect" crap. It works the other way around - anything the ACLU does is probably spot on.

You mean like fighting to ensure that the members of NAMBLA are secure in their right to distribute info about the best way for grown men to lure little boys & avoid detection/prosecution?

the ACLU usually has it wrong...

Let's see - the ACLU is fighting to ensure that members of NAMBLA are secure in their right to distribute information about the best way for grown men to lure little boys and avoid detection/prosectuion. Is this what you think?

I don't have time right now to address this well-worn, Right Wing talking point. When I have the time, I will. In the meantime, do some checking on your own to see exactly what it was that the ACLU was fighting for in that case. In the meantime, chew on this from the ACLU Web site:

In representing NAMBLA today, our Massachusetts affiliate does not advocate sexual relationships between adults and children.

What the ACLU does advocate is robust freedom of speech for everyone. The lawsuit involved here, were it to succeed, would strike at the heart of freedom of speech. The case is based on a shocking murder. But the lawsuit says the crime is the responsibility not of those who committed the murder, but of someone who posted vile material on the Internet. The principle is as simple as it is central to true freedom of speech: those who do wrong are responsible for what they do; those who speak about it are not.

It is easy to defend freedom of speech when the message is something many people find at least reasonable. But the defense of freedom of speech is most critical when the message is one most people find repulsive. That was true when the Nazis marched in Skokie. It remains true today.

BTW, I recognize this thread is not about the ACLU and NAMBLA - I am not the one who introduced NAMBLA into the mix. That has been discussed on this board to death. I merely felt compelled to respond this one time.

Last edited:
Ok First off - all educational decisions - from curriculum to discipline to sports - is regulated by the state. Second - every personnel decision must be in compliance with union contracts and approved by a locally elected Bd of Ed. . If Zuckerberg wants to spend 100 million on technology, that would be proper. If he wants to hire a couple hundred people, with the taxpayers on the hook for health bennies and pension, that would not be appropriate. As TT said, 100 mil is a LOT of money. Where will it go? That's a very important question and it deserves an answer. Zuckerberg would have been better off giving the money to a private school. No questions asked.

Forum List

Back