ACLU says lethal injection violates First Amendment

George Carlin recently played the Silver Legacy here in Reno. They played a couple clips of his shows in the radio advertisement. He said, "doesn't it make you wonder why they swipe the person's arm off with alcohol before they stick the needle in to administer a LETHAL INJECITON"? :rotflmao:

Abbey Normal said:
Eww. I am not sure I want to know what happens with a "clogging" mechanism.

When done right, isn't it supposed to be virtually painless?
I believe that the guillotine was developed to be a more humane alternative to hanging. It is quick, but I think it would be hard to verify "painlessness." I would assume that there was pain involved. I have read of reports of severed heads blinking. They call these "muscle spasms," but if nerves can still react to "residual energy," it makes sense to me that they could react to and feel pain.

About the "clogging"... My history teacher in high school told stories about how (I think during the French Revolution) there were so many people being executed, that by the end of the day, it would take 2 or three chops to completely remove the head.

GunnyL said:
What is it you don't agree with?

I am against the death penalty. But if it exists I agree with you that it should not be implemented unless there is a "smoking gun" and absolutely no possibility for error regarding the guilt of the executed. We don't have that here in America, and probably even more corrupt in the other countries which have the death penalty. Of course this has been said before, but we are the only "civilized" country that holds on to the death penalty.

Nuc...Of course this has been said before, but we are the only "civilized" country that holds on to the death penalty.

Is there any part of you that thinks it's insane to call any civilization civilized that thinks it's perfectly okay to kill an innocent helpless unborn baby right up till delivery, but go to great lengths to save a known killers life????? Much of Europe apparently does, and many in this country..Explain to me again how that is in any way civilized?????

Nuc said:
I am against the death penalty. But if it exists I agree with you that it should not be implemented unless there is a "smoking gun" and absolutely no possibility for error regarding the guilt of the executed. We don't have that here in America, and probably even more corrupt in the other countries which have the death penalty. Of course this has been said before, but we are the only "civilized" country that holds on to the death penalty.

I support the death penalty, but I agree with you on when and how it should be used. I think it pretty much comes out that way. People aren't guilty unless they are found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, then it's determined if the death penalty should be applied. That's why Ted Bundy was put to death, Scott Peterson is sitting in prison, and O.J. Simpson is playing golf.

If the death penalty is applied, I say bring back the old days. I'm really not concerned if Ted Bundy felt pain when he died, and I don't care if the man that kidnapped and murdered Jessica Lunsford is put to death in a humane way. Snap his damn neck, and let people know that it's the ultimate punishment.

Bonnie said:
Is there any part of you that thinks it's insane to call any civilization civilized that thinks it's perfectly okay to kill an innocent helpless unborn baby right up till delivery, but go to great lengths to save a known killers life????? Much of Europe apparently does, and many in this country..Explain to me again how that is in any way civilized?????

Note I parenthesized "civilized". Maybe we should say "relatively civilized" country as in more civilized than, say, Papua New Guinea or Somalia.

Anyway we are the only modern industrialized country that holds on to the death penalty.

Nuc said:
Note I parenthesized "civilized". Maybe we should say "relatively civilized" country as in more civilized than, say, Papua New Guinea or Somalia.

Anyway we are the only modern industrialized country that holds on to the death penalty.

I can agree with that description...

Nuc said:

You ducked Bonnie's question.

Butt Rider said:
You ducked Bonnie's question.

Who are you, the semantics police? She asked me if I thought America was civilized and I answered, "relatively civilized". What is it about that you don't understand?

Nuc said:
Who are you, the semantics police? She asked me if I thought America was civilized and I answered, "relatively civilized". What is it about that you don't understand?

You ducked her question, and I caught you, and that makes you mad.

She asked you why you're against the death penalty for adults, but FOR the death penalty for the unborn.

Answer that, and you won't be ducking.

Forum List

Back