ACLU Has Really Lost It

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Sorry, seems to me this has been one of the most valid arguements regarding law enforcement prior to 9/11, their inability/unwillingness to share info. There are safeguards and sanctions for the misuse of the information and this should not be happening:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040803/ap_on_re_us/terror_database_1

ACLU Sues to Halt Mich. Police Database

Tue Aug 3, 3:39 PM ET

By JAMES PRICHARD, Associated Press Writer

DETROIT - The American Civil Liberties Union (news - web sites) and a former Michigan governor are suing to halt the Michigan State Police's participation in a multistate crime and terrorism database, saying the agency is illegally sharing information about individuals.

The lawsuit against the federally funded Multistate Anti-Terrorism Information Exchange — "Matrix" for short — was filed late Monday in Wayne County Circuit Court on behalf of the ACLU and three individuals, including former Republican Gov. William Milliken.

The suit cites Michigan's Interstate Law Enforcement Intelligence Organizations Act, which Milliken signed in 1980. The Legislature passed the law after learning that Michigan police, during the 1960s and 1970s, developed and maintained files on hundreds of residents who had committed no crimes but were involved in civil rights and anti-war movements of the time.

"I signed this act into law in order to protect the privacy of individual citizens and, at the same time, provide law enforcement agencies with the tools they need," said Milliken, who served from 1969 to 1983. "Nearly 25 years later, the technology has changed, but the privacy rights of Michigan citizens remain the same."

Do these people ever quit?! Well if we are ever hurt(or worse) in a terrorist attck,we can all feel better knowing that the people that were responsible always had their rights and were never profiled thanks to the good ol ACLU.

:cuckoo: :eek:

Why doesn't the government just bring one damn huge ball bustin' law suit down on the aclu for obstruction of justice?

Somebody's got to put these asswipes out of business, before they and their liberal backers destroy America completely.

krisy said:
Do these people ever quit?! Well if we are ever hurt(or worse) in a terrorist attck,we can all feel better knowing that the people that were responsible always had their rights and were never profiled thanks to the good ol ACLU.

:cuckoo: :eek:

Yeah, and that they were never subjected to the unendurable agony of seeing the Ten Commandments posted in public. The ACLU, as always has it's priorities right on target - bravely battling for what's in the best interests of America.

musicman said:
Yeah, and that they were never subjected to the unendurable agony of seeing the Ten Commandments posted in public. The ACLU, as always has it's priorities right on target - bravely battling for what's in the best interests of America.

How about we sue them for obstruction and as punishment make them watch the Ten Commandments all the way through.

How about we sue them for obstruction and as punishment make them watch the Ten Commandments all the way through.

:clap1:

Only, we have to be sure they don't turn away in horror, or close their eyes to the 'tyranny" of objective morality. Something like the hookup in, "A Clockwork Orange" comes to mind.

And The Passion of the Christ. It's a double feature. Oh, what the heck, we'll follow that up with the first season of "Touched By an Angel," and then show all those Hanna-Barbara cartoons of the kids who open the doors and travel back to biblical times.

Please don't read this post, it is full of hate and vitriol

The American Constant Litigators Union, the darling of the Leftist Upper East Side cocktail sipping, New York Times reading, penthouse living neo-communist numbskulls and the nemisis of Free People everywhere. (BTW -Where's Batman when you really need him?)

Why don't those stinking bums get real jobs (like being stand-ins for crash test dummies)? Oh yeah, I forgot, they're lawyers and they won't be happy unless they're suing someone. I wonder if the lawyers at the ACLU sue little old ladies just so they don't fall out of practice.

Why don't they sue organizations that really harm freedom? They could start by suing themselves then working their way down to less insidious organizations such as Islamic charities that are fronts for Al Queada or the KKK.

If they can't find something wrong with the world, they make something up and sue the first deep pockets person or organization they can pin the blame on.

What kind of moron supports those idiots anyway? Oh yeah, I forgot, Leftist Upper East Side cocktail sipping, New York Times reading, penthouse living neo-communist numbskulls.

It must really suck to be one of those sanctimonious parasitic worms.

(Hey, I told you not to read this post, what are you still doing here?)

I think the ACLU is right on this instance. Ben Franklin said those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither. Yes if they attacked us it would be unfortunate. However, as the men and women in our armed forces have shown throughout our entire history, freedom is worth dying for.

MJDuncan1982 said:
I think the ACLU is right on this instance. Ben Franklin said those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither. Yes if they attacked us it would be unfortunate. However, as the men and women in our armed forces have shown throughout our entire history, freedom is worth dying for.

How are you any less free if law enforcement agencies are allowed to share information about people?

Sharing the information is not where the problem arises for me. It is how that information is obtained and about whom. The post refers to the "illegal" sharing of information. I was speaking more generally about the case cited and if the information was obtained legally and without error than there shouldn't be any barrier to sharing it.

it amazes me how so many people can justify the restriction of liberty and freedom in the name of security when they aren't personally affected.

How is this any different than states sharing driver's license info, etc.? They already share TONS of information on all of us.

freeandfun1 said:
How is this any different than states sharing driver's license info, etc.? They already share TONS of information on all of us.

does any of that make it right? We should all be concerned about our personal information and how its being used. If we look at it as 'well they already do, so whats the big deal about some more' then we might as well swear fealty and become loyal subjects instead of the free and private american citizens we used to be.

DKSuddeth said:
does any of that make it right? We should all be concerned about our personal information and how its being used. If we look at it as 'well they already do, so whats the big deal about some more' then we might as well swear fealty and become loyal subjects instead of the free and private american citizens we used to be.

if you want a totally private life, move to the mountains. if you want to live among society, there are certain rules we all have to live by. I ain't worried about it. Just call me lazy.

freeandfun1 said:
if you want a totally private life, move to the mountains. if you want to live among society, there are certain rules we all have to live by. I ain't worried about it. Just call me lazy.

living by certain rules I can handle. letting the government, or any private company for that matter, build an informational database on me is something we should all be concerned about...don't you think?

DKSuddeth said:
living by certain rules I can handle. letting the government, or any private company for that matter, build an informational database on me is something we should all be concerned about...don't you think?

No. Why? Cuz experian, Trans Union, Equifax, etc. already have EXTENSIVE databases on us. Every time you do anything anymore, that information is put into a database. Do you realize the databases banks have on each of us? Auto dealers, county and city governments, etc?

Information is not private. Any time you partake in a public activity, or do business at a public facility, they have a right to gather information on you (as much as you give). Do you use those discount cards at Sam's Club, COSTCO, Albertson's, etc.? Hell, your local grocery store can probably tell me more about what you buy every month than you can.

freeandfun1 said:
No. Why? Cuz experian, Trans Union, Equifax, etc. already have EXTENSIVE databases on us. Every time you do anything anymore, that information is put into a database. Do you realize the databases banks have on each of us? Auto dealers, county and city governments, etc?

Information is not private. Any time you partake in a public activity, or do business at a public facility, they have a right to gather information on you (as much as you give). Do you use those discount cards at Sam's Club, COSTCO, Albertson's, etc.? Hell, your local grocery store can probably tell me more about what you buy every month than you can.

I wish that the kind of data bank, it doesn't have to go back further than late 80's, would be built by Homeland Security, with access available to all enforcement agencies, but require the reason for inquiry. That would seem to protect all of us, in a myriad of ways.

well, I guess this is the 'live in the now' deal. its already happening so just let it go. let me know when its too much for you.

Forum List

Back