Achievement Gap in Schools - Highlighting the Obvious

That's high school. Most elementary teachers only have about 25.

But we now have our grade books on line, which can let students and parents know what their grades are and what is missing. It makes me nuts when certain kids ask me every day "What's my grade?" I say "Check Power School" and I guess that seems too much like homework. I only know of one student this year that uses it.

For parents to say they are completely in the dark because Johnny never brings home progress reports or report cards, is utter B.S. Communication must flow both ways. Just like learning. :eusa_whistle:

If a HS teacher carrying a full student load (roughtly 120 -150 kids) gave 10 minutes a week to contacting the families of their wards they'd spend an additional 20 -24 hours a week in JUST that process.

Now when I was teaching I taught 25 classes a week @ 50 minutes = 21 hours weekly

In addition we has PRISON GUARD duty 2 periods a day = 6.33 hours weekly

Preparation time, grading tests, papers, etc? a minimum of 20 hours weekly. (that's about 10 minutes PER WEEK per kid)

Let's assume that full time teachers work 38 weeks a year.

38 weeks X 70hrs per week =2,660 hours a year.

I know that many of you who have never taught think teaching is a skate job.

I invite you all to give a try and get back to us with your report at the end of your first year.

So true. I spoke with a math teacher who had a parent ask for a call every time her darling didn't hand in HW. He told her "You have 1 kid. I have 120. He has HW every night. How about if YOU call ME when he doesn't do it?"

I spoke with a mom the other day who was most appreciative of my call. I said that it looked like he was failing all his classes and she said she could not understand why she hadn't heard from his other teachers. I said "He got his progress report yesterday" And she said "I haven't seen a PR or report card all year" It's May. Whose fault is that?

Forum List

Back