Achievement Gap in Schools - Highlighting the Obvious

Parents who support education generally have childen that do well whether the school itself is bad.

Yeah.. I agree. Usually, children with higher support from families and friends do good in class. Sometimes, the school is not an issue for them.

More money isn't the answer.

There is no quick fix.

The problem is the disolving family. This supportive unit for kids is disappearing faster than steak at a starving men's buffet.

Many kids are now raising themselves and doing a damned poor job...

How will more money help this?

Scholarships Go Disproportionately To White Students | ThinkProgress
^White students get 75% of all college scholarships despite only making up 62% of college students.

Funding Gap States shortchange poor, minority students of education dollars | Education Trust
^Nationwide in 2004 on average poorer schools received 1,300 less per student then richer schools, and this has grown since 2004.

Kids' protest highlights rich-poor schools gap in Illinois - CSMonitor.com
^In some parts of the country such as Illinois poor schools receive 70% less money per capita then rich schools.

High-scoring, low-income students no more likely to complete college than low-scoring, rich students | Economic Policy Institute
^2.5times more students of rich parents with high test score complete college then poor counterparts, the number of middle range test scores is around 8 times more

How come the children of conservatives drop out at such a high rate? Pregnancy? Drinking? Because their parents say "education is for snobs"?

More important than the drop out rate is that students who do graduate aren't educated enough to compete in a global economic system. The emphasis in public schools is on social issues, homosexuality, diversity, multiculturalism. Core subjects are being ignored because of class time limitations. The environment is not one of learning, but of passing. Easy subjects are discussed (not taught). There is grade inflation and social promotion. The graduating students will never be able to compete with students from around the world who really know something. Complicating this is that students want even EASIER subjects and resent actual education as discriminatory.

More important than the drop out rate is that students who do graduate aren't educated enough to compete in a global economic system. The emphasis in public schools is on social issues, homosexuality, diversity, multiculturalism. Core subjects are being ignored because of class time limitations. The environment is not one of learning, but of passing. Easy subjects are discussed (not taught). There is grade inflation and social promotion. The graduating students will never be able to compete with students from around the world who really know something. Complicating this is that students want even EASIER subjects and resent actual education as discriminatory.

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

Sure, a little time is wasted on having the LGBT group give a little 45 minute presentation during "Multiculture Day," but for the most part, Math and Language Arts are taught.

But your point is: Is anything LEARNED?

We have been measuring "learning" for decades, and, without citing the overwhelming evidence, I'll go out on a limb and say that human capacity for learning hasn't changed one iota during the last 100,000 years, much less the past 50, despite whatever new teaching programs are implemented.

Sure, a little time is wasted on having the LGBT group give a little 45 minute presentation during "Multiculture Day," but for the most part, Math and Language Arts are taught.

We have been measuring "learning" for decades, and, without citing the overwhelming evidence, I'll go out on a limb and say that human capacity for learning hasn't changed one iota during the last 100,000 years, much less the past 50, despite whatever new teaching programs are implemented.

College graduates can barely read and can't do basic arithmetic without a calculator. The educational system is such a failure that some schools have given up trying to teach students to write. Block printing is good enough. It has to be. Too few can write their own names.

Making your way up the scholastic food chain, after you get past the social degrees in the History of the Chicano movement and Transgender discrimination studies, and move to post graduate science, math and design degrees the classes are dominated by Asians, Indians and a sprinkling of whites. There are fewer and fewer blacks and hispanics every year. If there are few admitted, even fewer graduate.

This comes down to money. Parents who want their children to succeed and achieve start early paying for private school or at the least, a supplemental school that will teach what public schools have long ago stopped teaching. Parents that make room in the budget for supplemental education will have children that can go on. Parents that don't get ill prepared graduates.

Worse, and perhaps worst of all, the students who do graduate with fluff diplomas and degrees are trying to enter the workforce with the same sense of entitlement that got them those diplomas and degrees in the first place.

College graduates can barely read and can't do basic arithmetic without a calculator. The educational system is such a failure that some schools have given up trying to teach students to write. Block printing is good enough. It has to be. Too few can write their own names.

Making your way up the scholastic food chain, after you get past the social degrees in the History of the Chicano movement and Transgender discrimination studies, and move to post graduate science, math and design degrees the classes are dominated by Asians, Indians and a sprinkling of whites. There are fewer and fewer blacks and hispanics every year. If there are few admitted, even fewer graduate.

This comes down to money. Parents who want their children to succeed and achieve start early paying for private school or at the least, a supplemental school that will teach what public schools have long ago stopped teaching. Parents that make room in the budget for supplemental education will have children that can go on. Parents that don't get ill prepared graduates.

Worse, and perhaps worst of all, the students who do graduate with fluff diplomas and degrees are trying to enter the workforce with the same sense of entitlement that got them those diplomas and degrees in the first place.

Parents that care will have better prepared children.

Parents that depend on the government to care will not.

The last thing in the world schools and teachers want is more parental invovlement. Oh, chaperoning dances because teachers won't is okay and selling candy to all your co-workers is okay but actually involvement, my god, who do those parents think they are.

Parents have to chaperone the dances. Too many teachers are screwing the students.

If the total number of teacher student sex scandals were treated the same way the priest abuse scandal was treated, the teacher abuse and cover ups, would eclipse the Catholic Church scandal into trivia.

College graduates can barely read and can't do basic arithmetic without a calculator.

Actually, this has a lot to do with the Universities requiring less and less math to graduate, coupled with the rise of online classes, aka, degree mills.

We still do give failing grades at the college level to students who can't do mathematics. The problem is that most kids will take a maximum of 2 math courses at the college level and if they continue to fail those classes, they'll bail and take it at a community college or from an online institution.

I get really frustrated at the students that can't seem to do basic mathematics, fail College Algebra semester after semester, but somehow mysteriously get an "A" once they go off to a community college or take an online course. Then they come back to take their second course still unable to do even the most basic mathematics. Then they head off to the same route to mysteriously pass that second mathematics course. :mad:

Last edited:
College graduates can barely read and can't do basic arithmetic without a calculator.

Actually, this has a lot to do with the Universities requiring less and less math to graduate, coupled with the rise of online classes, aka, degree mills.

We still do give failing grades at the college level to students who can't do mathematics. The problem is that most kids will take a maximum of 2 math courses at the college level and if they continue to fail those classes, they'll bail and take it at a community college or from an online institution.

I get really frustrated at the students that can't seem to do basic mathematics, fail College Algebra semester after semester, but somehow mysteriously get an "A" once they go off to a community college or take an online course. Then they come back to take their second course still unable to do even the most basic mathematics. Then they head off to the same route to mysteriously pass that second mathematics course. :mad:

Happily, we can import Indians and other Orientals to add and subtract for us.

The last thing in the world schools and teachers want is more parental invovlement. Oh, chaperoning dances because teachers won't is okay and selling candy to all your co-workers is okay but actually involvement, my god, who do those parents think they are.

Baloney. Good teachers accept responsibility and accountability for what goes on in the classroom. They cannot - and will not - accept responsibility for attendance and homework. And guess what? Kids that show up every day and put in a couple hours of studying outside of school do well in school. Do you need a citation for that? :doubt:

I have contacted several parents this year and forwarded lists of missing assignments. They have been very, very grateful and have seen that the work got done. School/family partnerships can be extremely effective.

ROTLF let me guess you haven't set foot in a school your whole liufe

Although genetics and parental involvement are near the top of predictors for successful school "outcomes," the biggest single impediment to improvement is the presence of teachers' unions.

A school administration that was free to evaluate teachers on the basis of success, get rid of poor performers, and explore alternative schedules, teaching methodologies, learning models, and so forth could make tremendous improvements over time. But all of these are thwarted by the teachers' unions and their ability to fight every possible change that does not improve the compensation or life of the bargaining unit members (e.g., lower class sizes). Everything that involves more effort, more time, or innovation from the teachers is prevented.

Killing the unions is not the total solution or the only solution, but it is what some might call, "low hanging fruit" - an easy way to achieve a lot of success. A high school education 50 years ago - before the advent of teachers unions - was an actual accomplishment. Employers knew that if a kid had a diploma he could read, write, do basic math, and speak English (if you insisted on it). Now, a high school diploma proves nothing but that you are over 18 years old.

Parents who support education generally have childen that do well whether the school itself is bad.

Very true. But too many parents do not value the public education system or are simply not able to help.

I.E. One middle school in our district is in an area where 80% of the parents are functionally illiterate.

...because they went to the same public school when they were younger and are loyal, dependable Democrat Party voters

If you are trying to convince everyone you are a fool, you are successful...

Baloney. Good teachers accept responsibility and accountability for what goes on in the classroom. They cannot - and will not - accept responsibility for attendance and homework. And guess what? Kids that show up every day and put in a couple hours of studying outside of school do well in school. Do you need a citation for that? :doubt:

I have contacted several parents this year and forwarded lists of missing assignments. They have been very, very grateful and have seen that the work got done. School/family partnerships can be extremely effective.

I agree with Patrickt: Schools give a lot of lip service to comunity involvement, and Chanel is correct: GOOD TEACHERS will keep parents informed.

HOWEVER: GOOD teachers really don't want what I refer to as "Parental Hypochondriacs," or those parents who must have a meeting each and every time little Johnny feels hurt because he thought he deserves a 98 on a writing assignment in which he received a 95.

The fact is that most parents are concerned about their kids, but most teachers are not (i.e. there are few "good" teachers).

What do you think the ratio is of calls a teacher receives to the calls a teacher makes?

Why don't you do some research on this instead of spouting ignorance like Old Faithful?

I agree with Patrickt: Schools give a lot of lip service to comunity involvement, and Chanel is correct: GOOD TEACHERS will keep parents informed.

HOWEVER: GOOD teachers really don't want what I refer to as "Parental Hypochondriacs," or those parents who must have a meeting each and every time little Johnny feels hurt because he thought he deserves a 98 on a writing assignment in which he received a 95.

The fact is that most parents are concerned about their kids, but most teachers are not (i.e. there are few "good" teachers).

In the situation you describe, it would be virtually impossible to meet with parents over such trivial matters. Most teachers (except those in self-contained classrooms) see around 160 kids per day in class.
There are not enough minutes in a day to cover all that.

Forum List

Back