Achievement Gap in Schools - Highlighting the Obvious

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Three miles separate Crest Memorial School in Wildwood Crest from Glenwood Avenue Elementary School in neighboring Wildwood, but the makeup of the two schools, and their state test scores, are very different.

More than 90 percent of the fourth-graders passed the state language arts test at Crest Memorial in 2011, while only 30 percent of the Wildwood students passed, according to annual state test results released by the state Department of Education on Wednesday. In math, 45 percent of fourth-graders passed in Wildwood; 96 percent passed at Crest Memorial.

“There is no debate that there is a direct correlation between socio-economics and academic performance,” Anderson said

That so-called achievement gap between more-affluent students and their low-income and minority counterparts is at the heart of state efforts to improve academic performance, acting Education Commissioner Chris Cerf said Wednesday.

Students' test scores divided by achievement gap in New Jersey - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Breaking News

Well Mr. Anderson, believe it or not, there is plenty of debate on that correlation.

Righties claim that the biggest factors are teachers, tenure, and accountability.
Lefties claim poor kids in poor schools just need more money.
The teachers claim they need more parental involvement.

The irony is that Wildwood gets more money than any school in the community. The teachers START over $50K with a bachelor's degree.

Schools are simply a microcosm of the larger community. Parents who support education generally have good schools and vice versa.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that no amount of testing, firing, or money will make Wildwood's test scores go up. Those parents need jobs. Period.

Last edited:
Parents who support education generally have childen that do well whether the school itself is bad.

Yep. So we either accept that or try to change it. But any discussion of school reform is BS, without acknowledging that "inconvenient truth".

Our educational system has been sabotaged, Progressives need those poor inner city results and would rather burn the system down than accept true reform

It's doubtful any kind of reform would help. There is no kind of reform that could be taken that would make parents want their children to do well. Or make the students want to improve.

It's doubtful any kind of reform would help. There is no kind of reform that could be taken that would make parents want their children to do well. Or make the students want to improve.

students get a large portion of their intelligence from their parents genetically. the same goes for many personal characteristics. the original environmental and cultural effects also are dependant on parents.

if the parents do not show the intelligence and character to give their children a strong start in life, why do we think their children will do any better than their parents? the reality is that children grow up to resemble their parents in many ways. sure there is variation but overall it stands up pretty well. smart parents produce smart children, smart parents are more successful and are more able to surround their children with an environment and culture that passes along the characteristics that produce success. vicious or virtuous circle, depending on what side you are on.

intelligence is a predictor for just about every social trait and the small effects in every decision you make everyday adds up over a lifetime to a large bonus for being smart.

Parents who support education generally have childen that do well whether the school itself is bad.

Very true. But too many parents do not value the public education system or are simply not able to help.

I.E. One middle school in our district is in an area where 80% of the parents are functionally illiterate.

Very true. But too many parents do not value the public education system or are simply not able to help.

I.E. One middle school in our district is in an area where 80% of the parents are functionally illiterate.

...because they went to the same public school when they were younger and are loyal, dependable Democrat Party voters

I've often wondered from which school you graduated.

students get a large portion of their intelligence from their parents genetically. the same goes for many personal characteristics. the original environmental and cultural effects also are dependant on parents.

if the parents do not show the intelligence and character to give their children a strong start in life, why do we think their children will do any better than their parents? the reality is that children grow up to resemble their parents in many ways. sure there is variation but overall it stands up pretty well. smart parents produce smart children, smart parents are more successful and are more able to surround their children with an environment and culture that passes along the characteristics that produce success. vicious or virtuous circle, depending on what side you are on.

intelligence is a predictor for just about every social trait and the small effects in every decision you make everyday adds up over a lifetime to a large bonus for being smart.

You hit the nail (no one wants to admit it exists) directly on the head.

Three miles separate Crest Memorial School in Wildwood Crest from Glenwood Avenue Elementary School in neighboring Wildwood, but the makeup of the two schools, and their state test scores, are very different.

More than 90 percent of the fourth-graders passed the state language arts test at Crest Memorial in 2011, while only 30 percent of the Wildwood students passed, according to annual state test results released by the state Department of Education on Wednesday. In math, 45 percent of fourth-graders passed in Wildwood; 96 percent passed at Crest Memorial.

“There is no debate that there is a direct correlation between socio-economics and academic performance,” Anderson said

That so-called achievement gap between more-affluent students and their low-income and minority counterparts is at the heart of state efforts to improve academic performance, acting Education Commissioner Chris Cerf said Wednesday.

Students' test scores divided by achievement gap in New Jersey - pressofAtlanticCity.com: Breaking News

Well Mr. Anderson, believe it or not, there is plenty of debate on that correlation.

Righties claim that the biggest factors are teachers, tenure, and accountability.
Lefties claim poor kids in poor schools just need more money.

The irony is that Wildwood gets more money than any school in the community. The teachers START over $50K with a bachelor's degree.

Schools are simply a microcosm of the larger community. Parents who support education generally have good schools and vice versa.

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that no amount of testing, firing, or money will make Wildwood's test scores go up. Those parents need jobs. Period.

I would think that parents without jobs would have more available time to be actively engaged in thier childrens education.
Heck, I was a single parent working 45 to 65 hours a week and I always made sure I was involved in my childrens education because it was (and is) important.
Active parental involvement isn't about jobs or money, it's more about parents that care enough to participate.

Oops. Didn't finish. Being somewhat familiar with the area, my guess is that many of the parents could not finish a 4th grade assignment. The teachers are encouraged to make phone calls about important announcements because the parents can't read letters and notes. Sad, but true.

You hit the nail (no one wants to admit it exists) directly on the head.

The Bell Curve is reviled b/c it confirms the obvious.

Murray stated that the intention was to prove that there is a meritocracy in this society.

Lefties claim poor kids in poor schools just need more money.:eusa_liar:

They do?

Gotta link?

Didn't think so.

:lol:

The person quoted in the OP about 'the difference being socioeconomic status' is right. However the assumption that the amount of money spent beyond a certain level will change things is not necessarily the answer.

Above someone pointed out that teachers in low performing schools want 'parental involvement,' that may not be what is assumed.

Parents earning enough to be in good schools, regardless of race, etc., generally have certain mores in common: Good work habits, self-discipline, applying what they know to solve problems, take responsibility for themselves and their families, are aware of what their children need to succeed in school.

All except the last are pretty self-evident. Kids do not need their parents to check their homework for correct answers; they need to ensure it is completed, at least through third grade when the child should be responsible for their work

Kids do not need to have parents that can read, they do need parents that encourage them to do so. The books can be from the library, a used book store, Goodwill, doesn't matter.

They need parents that make sure they get to school on time, tell them to mind their teachers and pay attention. They need parents that ask them what the learned today, not 'did you learn anything today?': In math, reading, language arts, the 'arts', gym, the playground, the lunch room, etc. If the response is, "I don't know," then the parent can reply, "Well I better go see Mr/Ms Jones and find out what you should be remembering..." They'll get an answer. If the parent is illiterate, that's what they should be doing. Most though can take a look at the homework and see if the child really is aware of what's going on in class.

Kids need parents that give them responsibilities and consequences when they fail to complete them and praise them when they do.

For a few centuries now, kids have been born to parents that are illiterate, that managed to attain an education, often self-taught. Grant you that seems nigh impossible today, but humans haven't become less intelligent.

Children from poor families who subsist largely on public benefits don't need an education. They will grow up and apply for their own benefits like their parents and grandparents before them. They simply have no need of an education.

Children from poor families who subsist largely on public benefits don't need an education. They will grow up and apply for their own benefits like their parents and grandparents before them. They simply have no need of an education.

Harsh

But not without a kernel of reality

Forum List

Back