According to progressives: "Gas prices' jump attests to upbeat economy"

Nick doesn't like free markets.

That's the current driver of the current prices. Competing markets..and speculation.

This has nothing to do with the free market retard..

Let me ask you this - and it is fairly simple..

Who makes more money..

Todd sells 500 gallons of gas a day for 2 dollars a gallon.

Billy sells 100 gallons of gas a day for 4 dollars a gallon.

Who makes more money??

Billy is only selling his gas for 4 dollars a gallon because NOT MANY PEOPLE ARE BUYING GAS - HENCE BILLY NEEDS TO RAISE HIS PRICE TO RECOUP..

I see. There is a product with a limited supply. There is a very strong demand for that product. But the price is supposed to go down? In a good economy where people have money? I take it that the name Adam Smith means nothing at all to you.

You idiots act like there is only one oil company and supply and demand doesn't exist.

Listen communist friend - the whole idea of capitalism is to beat out the other guy - hence lowering the prices for your product, hence in a good economy gas will be cheap as it can be..
Not necessarily, if all the oil is being put to use aka in industry, construction, and in transport then oil prices will be high due to the limited supply. Then again oil companies can be slow to change prices.

Oil prices have nothing to do with any of that..

The demand for oil has dropped (because people cant afford it) hence the price of oil has gone up...

If you're not buying gas the gas station will raise their prices so they can "stick it to" those who CAN afford to buy gas... See how that works.

In short since you're not buying gas the oil companies will fix that by charging you double.

Lordy, lordy. Nicky is dense beyond belief. With oil at over $100 a barrel, Todd will soon be bankrupt for selling for less than he is paying. You want to see the price of gasoline decline? When about 30% of the cars in the world are EVs, you will see the price begin to come down. Of course, the price of electricity will go up, because that product is now in demand. But a homeowner can make his own electricity, where we cannot make gasoline.

I love how the Left has every excuse under the sun for the White House's failed policies. Obama's policies are driving up the cost of gasoline and he's giddy about it!! He's thinking his 9.99 plan will make alternative energy look cheap in comparison.

It's deliberate and the left thinks this is a good thing. Damn those Republicans, we're gonna get their gas prices so high they will have to use something else to get them to their job searches.

See how smart we are, we've got this figured out. We're gonna hit the righties where it hurts most, in their pocket book.

Too bad they're not smart enough to realize it effects everyone, not just those darn Republicans. They rarely see the whole picture, they only see what they want to.

I am sure you sang this same song when it hit $4 under Bush?

Damn, Nicky, the demand has dropped here in the US due to more efficient vehicles. Worldwide, the demand is soaring because of the increased wealth in places like Asia and South America. It is a global market.

LOL. Obviously hasn't the faintest who Adam Smith is, let alone any idea of how an economy works.

If you have multiple sources for product A, and a large supply of product A, then suppliers of product A will compete for customers. If product A is in short supply, with not that many suppliers, then the customers will compete for product A. Doesn't matter if product A is carrots or gasoline, the rules are that same.

Good economies grow vast competition - hence product prices will be low.

Every guy is trying to beat the next guy in price which drives prices down dramatically..

If you sell a product for 4.99 I'll sell it for 4.39 and if you're smart you will sell it for 3.99 and the price war ensues...

Of course if people AREN'T SPENDING MONEY you will have to charge more given your financial position...

Damn, Nicky, the demand has dropped here in the US due to more efficient vehicles. Worldwide, the demand is soaring because of the increased wealth in places like Asia and South America. It is a global market.

The demand has dropped because people don't have the $$$$$ due to the lack of jobs......

What is your excuse now?? everyone owns a Chevy Volt???

Oh yeah that is exactly what you're implying...

Lordy, lordy. Nicky is dense beyond belief. With oil at over $100 a barrel, Todd will soon be bankrupt for selling for less than he is paying. You want to see the price of gasoline decline? When about 30% of the cars in the world are EVs, you will see the price begin to come down. Of course, the price of electricity will go up, because that product is now in demand. But a homeowner can make his own electricity, where we cannot make gasoline.

Are you insane??

Do you know what a profit margin is??

If guy "A" has a 1% profit margin but sells 1,000% x more than the guy with the 5% profit margin which guy takes in more gross income??

If I sell soap for .89 cents and the other guy sells the same soap for 1.29 which store are you going to if you want soap???

Who makes more money on soap the guy selling it for 1.29 or the guy selling the soap for .89 cents????

Last edited:
I love how the Left has every excuse under the sun for the White House's failed policies. Obama's policies are driving up the cost of gasoline and he's giddy about it!! He's thinking his 9.99 plan will make alternative energy look cheap in comparison.

It's deliberate and the left thinks this is a good thing. Damn those Republicans, we're gonna get their gas prices so high they will have to use something else to get them to their job searches.

See how smart we are, we've got this figured out. We're gonna hit the righties where it hurts most, in their pocket book.

Too bad they're not smart enough to realize it effects everyone, not just those darn Republicans. They rarely see the whole picture, they only see what they want to.

I am sure you sang this same song when it hit $4 under Bush?

Gas prices rising under Bush's reign wasn't a result of his failed policies. He didn't have an agenda to raise the price so high alternative energy looked good in comparison. Even your King Obama said rising gas prices were bad under Bush, but now you're defending the very administration that thinks this is a good thing.

How come when the left gets backed into a corner having to face the fact that the Chief Blamer has made this happen to suit his agenda they resort to Bush Bashing?? Why can't you stand up a take responsibility for your party's failures.

Sorry rising gas prices don't equate to an improving economy, especially when people can't afford the gas to get to a job interview because their unemployment has run out.

$4.00 a gallon is going to look pretty darn cheap come Memorial Day. ;)

Last edited:
OK, Nicky, we see your point. So just why don't you just keep driving until you find that station that is charging $2 a gallon. Good luck.

OK, Nicky, we see your point. So just why don't you just keep driving until you find that station that is charging $2 a gallon. Good luck.

Oh you see my points eh??

Good, now admit this Tribune piece is ridiculous propaganda and overall economic ignorance...

Do progressives really believe this nonsense??

Who the fuck you actually think you're fooling here??

Gasoline prices' jump attests to upbeat economy - Page 2 - chicagotribune.com

The arrogance of progressives is absolutely astounding..

When Bush was president and gas soared it was a sign of a bad economy but NOW high gas prices are a sign of a good economy???

Progressives belong in the loony bin..

I'm absolutely speechless over this piece (of shit)..

At times like these it's best to just smile and nod and wink.

Rising gas prices do boost the GDP numbers, hence the economy rises.
The moroons that think the GDP rising is always a good thing were saying the same thing while Bush was president.

Of course it boosts the GDP...

What is the difference between 2 gallons of gas at 2.00 or 1 at 4.00???

Umm people need X amount of gas to get to work and such and there is a limit in how much they can cut their gas consumption. And many cannot afford to buy newer more efficient vehicles.

I deal mostly in reality how about you?

When Bush was president and gas soared it was a sign of a bad economy but NOW high gas prices are a sign of a good economy???

Who ever said rising gas prices under Bush was a sign of a bad economy?

Higher gas prices, ceteris paribus, point to a higher demand for gas. Demand for gas is higher when the economy is stronger.

Maybe you should read the entire article instead of just the headline and you'll have something significant to say instead of just blathering.

It is speaking to the global economy and the resulting impact to the U.S.

Who ever said rising gas prices under Bush was a sign of a bad economy?[/QUOTE]

He did. {{{rolling eyes}}}

Forum List

Back