Academy of Motion Pictures to meet over allegations against Weinstein; Ouster from Academy coming?

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Academy of Motion Pictures to meet over allegations against Weinstein

(Reuters) - The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which organizes the Oscars, said on Wednesday that it would hold a special meeting on Saturday to discuss allegations against producer Harvey Weinstein.

“The Academy finds the conduct described in the allegations against Harvey Weinstein to be repugnant, abhorrent, and antithetical to the high standards of the Academy and the creative community it represents,” the Academy said in a statement.

“The Board of Governors will be holding a special meeting on Saturday, October 14, to discuss the allegations against Weinstein and any actions warranted by the Academy.”

Weinstein’s spokeswoman Sallie Hofmeister did not immediately return a request for comment on the Academy’s statement.

The statement follows allegations that Weinstein sexually harassed or assaulted a number of women over the past three decades.

Weinstein has denied having non-consensual sex with anyone.

Earlier on Wednesday, Weinstein was suspended from the British film academy BAFTA.

“In light of recent very serious allegations, BAFTA has informed Harvey Weinstein that his membership has been suspended, effective immediately,” the academy said in a statement...

If they do kick him out of the Academy, they're complete hypocrites if they don't also kick out Roman Polanski and, possibly, Ben Affleck.

Academy of Motion Pictures to meet over allegations against Weinstein; Ouster from Academy coming?

I don't know, but insofar as I'm not among the ~8.5K members of the Academy, which is a private professional organization -- it's more a club than anything else -- I don't care what it does regarding its members. One does not need to be a member of the Academy to work in the motion picture industry; indeed, most people working in that industry are not members of the Academy.

There are no specific requirements for membership other than that one be invited to join the Academy. One cannot apply for membership in the academy, which is what makes it a club and it makes it different from other professional organizations such as the ABA, the AICPA, the AMA, and others. In any case, most professional organizations and clubs have behavioral standards (some well defined and some nebulous) and disciplinary procedures the enforce in response to violations of those standards. Whether and how those organizations exercise their oversight actions is up to them; it's their business, and not anyone else's.

I don't know, but insofar as I'm not among the ~8.5K members of the Academy, which is a private professional organization -- it's more a club than anything else -- I don't care what it does regarding its members. One does not need to be a member of the Academy to work in the motion picture industry; indeed, most people working in that industry are not members of the Academy.

There are no specific requirements for membership other than that one be invited to join the Academy. One cannot apply for membership in the academy, which is what makes it a club and it makes it different from other professional organizations such as the ABA, the AICPA, the AMA, and others. In any case, most professional organizations and clubs have behavioral standards (some well defined and some nebulous) and disciplinary procedures the enforce in response to violations of those standards. Whether and how those organizations exercise their oversight actions is up to them; it's their business, and not anyone else's.

Yeah, I don't know the rules about the the Academy other than you have to invited, but I can imagine the stressed out behind-the-scenes talks going on about how horrible this is making these Hollywood scumbags look in the press.

Don't tune in to next Academy Awards. Don't buy tickets to see their movies. Don't watch their tv shows. The only way they will learn to be human beings is to hit them in the pocket book.

All Weinstein did was finance the movies , so you all have supported his income for years, so you helped the problem to exist....Oh that's right you guys didn't know what was going on, yet you pass judgement on folks in the same boat...Damn, doesn't your finger get tired of being a pointing tool?

All Weinstein did was finance the movies , so you all have supported his income for years, so you helped the problem to exist....Oh that's right you guys didn't know what was going on, yet you pass judgement on folks in the same boat...Damn, doesn't your finger get tired of being a pointing tool?

Oh fuck off. You're comparing the average movie-going public to those who work in the industry.

22814409_1777231839247619_644165418059734053_n.jpg

Forum List

Back