Ac/dc ?

Where do you rank AC/DC ?

In what terms? Skill level? Mediocre. Actual singing ability? Not much. Variety? Little to none. Songs/lyrics? Above average

Success? They combined the above with some good marketing and sold to a genre of noise metal junkies and have made a fortune on it and the 80s metal crowd that hated alternative/new wave STILL love it.

Can't argue with success. I can take about 2-maybe-3 songs and I've had enough.

• Banned
A few years back VH1 ranked them the 4th best hard rock band of all time.

VH1 top 10:

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Black Sabbath
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. AC / DC
5. Metallica
6. Nirvana
7. Van Halen
8. The Who
9. Guns n Roses
10. Kiss

Awww, why all the AC/DC hate? Well, I guess, yeah, the variety, they've released tons of albums, tons of them sound similar, a bunch of them kinda bad, but at their best they were just absolutely ass-rocking. Dirty Deeds, Highway to Hell, Back in Black, For Those About To Rock, especially the middle two basically all the songs are awesome.

As for the VH1 list, Nirvana and Guns N Roses don't fit on that level, but otherwise pretty good picks, I'd suppose.

• Banned
One observation about AC/DC that stands out to me is their popularity among rednecks. No other hard rock band comes even close, at least none I can recall. In my experience, country music loving shit kickers seem to have crossed the country/rock line and made AC/DC one of their own. Payback for Lynyrd Skynyrd I suppose. :D

Back in Black is a truly great album.

I always liked The Razor's Edge too.

Back in Black is a truly great album.

I always liked The Razor's Edge too.

Who didn't have Back in Black in college?

Now my 13 yo daughter has claimed that album (yes, album) as hers.

(along with many other of my albums, which is cool. better than that pop crap they are trying to pass off as music to the kids today!)

The intro to Hells Bells just sets the tone of the whole damn record.

Have you seen any youtube videos of the ORIGINAL ACDC vocals?

[youtube]dTE41qIgtY4[/youtube]

I loved AC/DC when I was young. And I still do, actually, though I find their lyrics a bit repulsive. Not half as repulsive as rap, though.

But, alas, my AC/DC partying days are over and done with, so although I bump it in the car when I'm alone, I no longer blast it in the house, subject my children to it, or invite people over to listen to it at high, high volume.

And 80s. And 90s.

They appealed to me. 3-chord rock and roll, mostly about drinking and sex. A recipe for money.

One observation about AC/DC that stands out to me is their popularity among rednecks. No other hard rock band comes even close, at least none I can recall. In my experience, country music loving shit kickers seem to have crossed the country/rock line and made AC/DC one of their own. Payback for Lynyrd Skynyrd I suppose. :D

LMAO. So sayeth the man from Boston. I can't even imagine what a "country music loving shitkicker" is according to you. Probably something out of the 1950s that you'd be hard-pressed to actually find.

At least half the country music fans I have seen or know were rockers in the 70's and 80s and just gravitated back to their roots as they got older. They listen to both, and it's hard sometimes to tell the rockers from the "kickers" sometimes.

AC/DC songs get played usually toward or at the end of the night. They play rap crap too. And Texas Country Music (yes, we even have our own genre of music) is basically heavy metal country.

You kidding? Sounds like a bunch of electrocuted cats!

perhaps.. but im also a fan of cookie monster vocals death metal bands and Tom Waits who, lets face it, sounds just like the monster under your bed.

Forum List

Back