Abu Musab Al-zarqawi Killed In Iraq

jasendorf said:
I'm going to have to agree with President Bush on what Zarqawi's death really means to the war:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/middle_east/jan-june06/zarqawi_06-08.html

This is great that he's gone... but it isn't quite time to break out the punch bowl. Raising some false expectations that troops can start coming home now will only damage an already waning public support.

An Iraqi Perspective. They seem to disagree to some extent with Jasen:

http://www.nightcapsyndication.com/content/view/143/2/

Zarqawi’s Death: A Report from Baghdad

Written by Tim Worstall
Thursday, 08 June 2006

From "A Staff Reporter"

Exclusive to Nightcap Syndication from our correspondent in Baghdad.

The scene around Baghdad today is quite familiar. Iraqis are huddled around televisions , listening to radios and, of course, firing celebratory volleys of automatic gunfire into the air. This morning there is a little something extra in the air, hope.

Mid-morning local time the news broke, Abu Musab al Zarqawi has been killed. The celebrations on the street and the cheers at the press conference announcing this news may seem odd to some in the comfortable confines of the west. While a BBC reporter today referred to al Zarqawi as a “controversial leader of the resistance” the reaction among most Iraqis lacks such nuance, they are glad for one simple reason, al Zarqawi is dead.

The reactions among Iraqis to the death of al Zarqawi is quite different than that to the similar demise of Uday and Qusay. The deaths of the brothers Hussein was met with a jumble of emotions among Iraqis in 2003: some saw them as leaders while most saw them as the homicidal maniacs they were. The reaction to the death of al Zarqawi is far more visceral, akin to ridding one’s house of a menacing rat.

A reserved Sunni intellectual who is quite particular in the language he uses summed up the feeling surrounding al Zarqawi’s death: “Goddamn that motherfucker for what he has done to Iraq.”

The hope is that a leaderless Al Qaeda in Iraq will provoke panic among its adherents and force them above ground in a bid to show their continued relevance. In doing so they will expose themselves to Iraqi and Coalition security forces at which point it is hoped they too will join their former leader.

The death of al Zarqawi will unfortunately not end the violence in Iraq. People will still worry about their children going and coming from school as well as look over their shoulder while shopping in the market. However, the death of this particular thug can not be underestimated. Like all terrorists he relied upon fear and his invincibility to cow people into submission. At each turn in the process of a democratic Iraq the people have said ‘no’ to al Zarqawi and his henchmen. Lining up by the millions to vote in three elections during 2005 showed the entire world that Iraqis want peace and freedom, not the negative nihilism offered up by Al Qaeda in Iraq.

A Shia friend may have said it best, “Zarqawi would not listen to ballots, today there is no mistaking that he listened to the bombs.”

Observers will note three elements which are combining to make today’s feeling of hope different from the numerous other times here in Iraq; the death of al Zarqawi, the confirmation of new Ministers of Defence and Interior, and the strong possibility of a political breakthrough with the Sunni insurgency are combining. Are the stars aligning properly this time? Will the exhausted people of Iraq finally receive the peace they rightfully deserve? Time will tell if this is a mere step in the right direction or a big leap forward in the pursuit of peace and freedom in Iraq.

Inshallah.

CSM said:
Hard to tell what the impact of this is going to be but it sure is NOT bad news. I have no doubt that some of the propaganda will portray him as martyr and hero....

It is the Hydra-principle.

For terrorists names are unimportant. The same hope of beating the resistence by some aims, namely killing Saddam's sons and capturing Saddam, did not happen.

Overall a good news, but unfortuantely nothing will become good on ground out of this news.

jasendorf said:
I'm going to have to agree with President Bush on what Zarqawi's death really means to the war:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/middle_east/jan-june06/zarqawi_06-08.html

This is great that he's gone... but it isn't quite time to break out the punch bowl. Raising some false expectations that troops can start coming home now will only damage an already waning public support.

I thought we were just supposed to go after leaders like bin Laden and on this dead pig and then everything was going to end ?:rolleyes:

What’s going on with the media? I haven’t heard anything yet about how many “civilians” were killed/murdered in the strike on Al-zarqawi. I’m sure it’s coming.

Mr. P said:
What’s going on with the media? I haven’t heard anything yet about how many “civilians” were killed/murdered in the strike on Al-zarqawi. I’m sure it’s coming.
You have to give the MSM, libs, UN and Dems time to make up the story. Those fairy tells aren't cooked up over night ya know. There are "credible" witnesses to find, unnamed source to quote and one or two memos to fake.

CSM said:
You have to give the MSM, libs, UN and Dems time to make up the story. Those fairy tells aren't cooked up over night ya know. There are "credible" witnesses to find, unnamed source to quote and one or two memos to fake.

I'm sure we could have killed him anytime we wanted---we just we waiting for a time when we could deflect the recent "bad news". Wag the dog. :sausage:

dilloduck said:
I'm sure we could have killed him anytime we wanted---we just we waiting for a time when we could deflect the recent "bad news". Wag the dog. :sausage:

You said it... not me ;)

CSM said:
That and Katie Communist Courie isn’t on the today show anymore to start the volley off early. I can just hear her asking " So, General...How many civilians were killed?".

dilloduck said:
Oh yeah sure, and we have OBL too and are just waiting for the 08 Presidential race to kick off to announce it...sounds like a great plan to me!

CSM said:
Oh yeah sure, and we have OBL too and are just waiting for the 08 Presidential race to kick off to announce it...sounds like a great plan to me!

The GOP had OBL to use in the last election too but I guess they didnt need to kill anyone to win that one.:poke:

1-800-FLOWERS will be getting alot of orders from liberals today.

Will John "I served in Viet Nam" Kerry head up the delagation to the funeral?

The FUCKERASSHAT from Time Magazine asked the MG "Were there any other VICTIMS (of the bombing)?"

WHAT a Fuckshitstickassfucker....

(sigh)

dmp said:
The FUCKERASSHAT from Time Magazine asked the MG "Were there any other VICTIMS (of the bombing)?"

WHAT a Fuckshitstickassfucker....

(sigh)

Nope...no victims, just targets.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
red states rule said:
It would be so easy if civilians would get the $%@& out of the way of our military
I have no doubt that some of those "civilians" are not civilians at all. Not saying that civilians are not being killed because they are; however, with the terrorists hiding among the population, it is hard to say who is a civilian and who is not.

Better to kill the reported woman and 'kid' WITH Zarqawi than to have them grow up to kill 'us'.

Want non-combantants to stop dying? Tell Terrorists to stop hiding with their families.

If I lived next door to where he was you can bet your sweet a$$ I would have slipped away as soon as I saw him enter the house next door!

Forum List

Back