Abstinence only works?!?!?

I just don't think it has to be so public, in every commercial, every tv show, espeically those shows aimed at teens. No one wants to deny anyone anything, just do it in private, where it should be.

Agreed but people are scrambling to make money so advertisers are not going to pass up an opportunity simply because who might be viewing. But this has been hammered into our heads from birth. Let's take my previous example about servers at sports bars. Sports bars cater to men and men like sports, beer, and hot women. Well where do we get that? Simple. As little boys we would sit down and watch the football game with Dad (our idol of what a man should be) and as we bonded with Dad we noticed Dad was drinking a beer. And of course on TV we saw beer commercials. Then we saw the cheerleaders on TV and Dad would say "WOOOO HOOOO look at the rack on that blonde!!!!" And so after doing this over and over, as kids we begin to equate manliness with competition (football), beer, big tits, hot girls, etc.

Well when we grow up we do the exact same thing with our sons and the cycle continues. There's all sorts of things we do like this; I am just using one example. But the point is that men like these things because it's been pounded into our brains from birth that we should like these things. And women have their things they do just like men do. So this is what I mean when I say changing that culture would require a complete overhaul of how we go about life in general. It's possible but you are talking about a monumental task.

I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think it's done us any good as a society though. The more 'free' we are about an 'anything goes in public' society, the worse off we are imo... There should be standards of decency and civility, if we keep eroding those standards, it will all be downhill.

I just don't think it has to be so public, in every commercial, every tv show, espeically those shows aimed at teens. No one wants to deny anyone anything, just do it in private, where it should be.

Agreed but people are scrambling to make money so advertisers are not going to pass up an opportunity simply because who might be viewing. But this has been hammered into our heads from birth. Let's take my previous example about servers at sports bars. Sports bars cater to men and men like sports, beer, and hot women. Well where do we get that? Simple. As little boys we would sit down and watch the football game with Dad (our idol of what a man should be) and as we bonded with Dad we noticed Dad was drinking a beer. And of course on TV we saw beer commercials. Then we saw the cheerleaders on TV and Dad would say "WOOOO HOOOO look at the rack on that blonde!!!!" And so after doing this over and over, as kids we begin to equate manliness with competition (football), beer, big tits, hot girls, etc.

Well when we grow up we do the exact same thing with our sons and the cycle continues. There's all sorts of things we do like this; I am just using one example. But the point is that men like these things because it's been pounded into our brains from birth that we should like these things. And women have their things they do just like men do. So this is what I mean when I say changing that culture would require a complete overhaul of how we go about life in general. It's possible but you are talking about a monumental task.

I don't know, I started liking big tits and asses all by myself as a boy, not because anyone encouraged me to. We could do like the Muslim countries where all pre-martial sex is outlawed and nobody even talks about sex, but thats just going too far.

I agree with what you are saying, but I don't think it's done us any good as a society though. The more 'free' we are about an 'anything goes in public' society, the worse off we are imo... There should be standards of decency and civility, if we keep eroding those standards, it will all be downhill.

I understand your point of view. I think there ARE standards of decency and civility but like with all societies those standards change over time. Consider the Roman orgy. Prior to Rome embracing Christianity it was a pretty commonplace and shrug your shoulders thing. Afterwards, they still occurred of course but not nearly as much.

One of the great things about the United States is that government gives us a great deal of freedom to determine our own moral standards (as opposed to the Muslim nations that HG references for example). So with us our standards fluctuate more frequently and we go through phases of social liberalism followed by phases of social conservatism and back because we always have the choice as a society to do something different.

So in theory we could abandon all this sex culture stuff tomorrow simply by waking up and as a society choosing something different. The problem is that, of course in reality, it doesn't work that way. Since we also have that freedom as individuals it must be chosen freely. People cannot be coerced into it or what will happen is that they will rebel and choose the opposite for no other reason than to establish their individual freedoms.

I would say at this point that our society as a whole has very little interest in actually making that change away from a sexual culture.

I understand your point of view. I think there ARE standards of decency and civility but like with all societies those standards change over time. Consider the Roman orgy. Prior to Rome embracing Christianity it was a pretty commonplace and shrug your shoulders thing. Afterwards, they still occurred of course but not nearly as much.

One of the great things about the United States is that government gives us a great deal of freedom to determine our own moral standards (as opposed to the Muslim nations that HG references for example). So with us our standards fluctuate more frequently and we go through phases of social liberalism followed by phases of social conservatism and back because we always have the choice as a society to do something different.

So in theory we could abandon all this sex culture stuff tomorrow simply by waking up and as a society choosing something different. The problem is that, of course in reality, it doesn't work that way. Since we also have that freedom as individuals it must be chosen freely. People cannot be coerced into it or what will happen is that they will rebel and choose the opposite for no other reason than to establish their individual freedoms.

I would say at this point that our society as a whole has very little interest in actually making that change away from a sexual culture.

Most of the industrialized world looks at us as prudes

Only Muslims consider us decadent

Forum List

Back