Abstinence only works?!?!?

FA_Q2

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2009
Washington State
First - credit to Missourian for posting this link.

Second, let me start with a disclaimer that, though I fall pretty far to the right on many issues, I have never believed in abstinence programs and thought them rather foolish. Who believe that people actually follow an abstinence program anyway? I have seen many members laugh at anyone for even suggesting it and ridiculing them as the programs are completely ineffective. This study, on CNN health - certainly not a RW echo chamber so don't attack the source, says otherwise:
Study: Abstinence program most effective at delaying sex among youths - CNN

Personally, I think it may be due to the limited scope (age most likely) the study take but it may be a point that we need a merging of BOTH abstinence only programs at a young age and sexual education courses later (like high school age).

Your thoughts?

yes telling kids the beifits of waiting until they are older to enguage in sex is a good idea.

I have no problem with telling them this , I told my own child this.

Its when they want it to be the only thing you teach them about sex that it is wrong

Educate them about sex and also tell them WHY its best to wait and why its best to limit your partners.

yes telling kids the beifits of waiting until they are older to enguage in sex is a good idea.

Its when they want it to be the only thing you teach them about sex that it is wrong

Educate them about sex and also tell them WHY its best to wait and why its best to limit your partners.

Damn TM that is the best post I have ever seen from you.

Reps your way.

Second, let me start with a disclaimer that, though I fall pretty far to the right on many issues, I have never believed in abstinence programs and thought them rather foolish. Who believe that people actually follow an abstinence program anyway? I have seen many members laugh at anyone for even suggesting it and ridiculing them as the programs are completely ineffective. This study, on CNN health - certainly not a RW echo chamber so don't attack the source, says otherwise:

Personally, I think it may be due to the limited scope (age most likely) the study take but it may be a point that we need a merging of BOTH abstinence only programs at a young age and sexual education courses later (like high school age).

Your thoughts?

"In “A Study of History,” by Arnold J. Toynbee, in the chapter called ‘Schism in the Soul, “Toynbee observed that one of the consistent symptoms of a disintegrating civilization is that elites begin to imitate the bottom of society. Toynbee says the growth phase of civilization is led by a creative minority who have a strong, self-confident sense of style, virtue and purpose. The uncreative majority follows along through attempts to imitate the creative minority. In disintegrating civilizations, the creative minority (elites) are no longer confident and setting the example. They "lapse into truancy" (reject the obligations of citizenship) and "surrender to a sense of promiscuity" (succumb to vulgarization of manners, the arts and language). Until a few decades ago, the groups we used to call "low-class" or "trash", are now called the underclass. The upper-class, instead of challenging trashy behavior, often imitates and placates it.

a. … four-letter words were unknown in public discourse and among the elites and were used sparingly even in private discourse. Today, vulgar language knows no class, sex, age or place. As late as 1960, sleeping with one's boyfriend was mostly a lower-class thing. It was deemed sluttish and something to be kept secret; today it's open and assumed to be normal…. In some instances, unwed mothers proudly hold baby showers celebrating their illegitimate offspring. Homosexual marriages were unheard of; today, in some jurisdictions, homosexual marriages have legal sanction. Of course, to be judgmental about the new codes of conduct is to risk being labeled a prude and possibly a racist, sexist or a homophobe.”
America's New Role Models

There was a time when said programs were unnecessary.....

I you might find Charles Murray's "Coming Apart" an epiphany.

Your thoughts?

"In “A Study of History,” by Arnold J. Toynbee, in the chapter called ‘Schism in the Soul, “Toynbee observed that one of the consistent symptoms of a disintegrating civilization is that elites begin to imitate the bottom of society. Toynbee says the growth phase of civilization is led by a creative minority who have a strong, self-confident sense of style, virtue and purpose. The uncreative majority follows along through attempts to imitate the creative minority. In disintegrating civilizations, the creative minority (elites) are no longer confident and setting the example. They "lapse into truancy" (reject the obligations of citizenship) and "surrender to a sense of promiscuity" (succumb to vulgarization of manners, the arts and language). Until a few decades ago, the groups we used to call "low-class" or "trash", are now called the underclass. The upper-class, instead of challenging trashy behavior, often imitates and placates it.

a. … four-letter words were unknown in public discourse and among the elites and were used sparingly even in private discourse. Today, vulgar language knows no class, sex, age or place. As late as 1960, sleeping with one's boyfriend was mostly a lower-class thing. It was deemed sluttish and something to be kept secret; today it's open and assumed to be normal…. In some instances, unwed mothers proudly hold baby showers celebrating their illegitimate offspring. Homosexual marriages were unheard of; today, in some jurisdictions, homosexual marriages have legal sanction. Of course, to be judgmental about the new codes of conduct is to risk being labeled a prude and possibly a racist, sexist or a homophobe.”

The bottom line result. Half of all births in the US are to single parent households.

If anyone has the courage to look further down the road, The obstacles become too numerous to negotiate.

yeah sex education....like there's so much to learn...let's spend billions.

Abstinence will only work if the teenager buys in, otherwise its useless.

and, you know, you hope for the best and you hope they make good choices. but in the same breath as any parent says "you shouldn't..." they should also say "but if you do.....".

it's called being realistic and not burying your head in the sand.

more important, imo, to teach them to be responsible and safe when they have sex than to pretend they won't have sex if you take away their condoms.

Your thoughts?

The bottom line result. Half of all births in the US are to single parent households.

If anyone has the courage to look further down the road, The obstacles become too numerous to negotiate.

1. One change in societal attitude has been the “ecumenical niceness”…don’t fight, share toys, take turns….and never, ever be judgmental. As a result, the upper cultural class, which has stabilized by returning to more traditional ways, survives, yet these individuals will not criticize the behaviors which are destroying the lower cultural class.
a. “For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us/for-women-under-30-most-births-occur-outside-marriage.html

Notice the following....educated folks don't behave that way:
b. “One group still largely resists the trend: college graduates, who overwhelmingly marry before having children. That is turning family structure into a new class divide, …” Ibid.

c. The elites must preach what they practice.

2. So, the folks in this thread who still endorse what was once called 'lower-class behavior' are failing to realize that the elites do not behave that way....they merely fear being judgmental, criticizing bad behavior.

They should grow a pair.

yeah sex education....like there's so much to learn...let's spend billions.

I think maybe no one ever taught you all there is to learn about sex.

There is mountains of sceince about sex.

Your hand and a towel is not all there is.

Anyone who thinks abstinence only works is a naive fool

It does work.
abstinace ONLY doesnt

Read the link. Students received abstinence only, abstinence AND sexual education and the last group received just sexual education. The ones that received ONLY abstinence classes had the lowest rate of sexual activity. The study shows that abstinence ONLY is actually MORE effective than both.

So, no - your statement is false according to the study.

I am interested in the stats for the next 5 years, unfortunately not covered in the study.

Forum List

Back