Absolutely Retarded

Gotta pray for the fundies. Your story reminded me of this:

Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.

But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

Nye was in town to participate in McLennan Community College's Distinguished Lecture Series. He gave two lectures on such unfunny and adult topics as global warming, Mars exploration, and energy consumption.

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

...what?

There has got to be more to that story.

That's what my wife said....but there's not much in the article. I'm sure there will be more about it eventually.

I just thought it was pretty retarded...(from what was stated in the article that is)

Ah, it was in Florida. Big surprise.

LAND-O-LAKES, FL -- A substitute teacher in Florida is out of a job this week. He's accused of teaching his students... wizardry. Teacher Jim Piculas made a toothpick disappear and then re-appear in front of a classroom in Land-O-Lakes.

The school took it seriously though. The Pasco County school district told him he would have to go.

"I get a call the middle of the day from head of supervisor of substitute teachers. 'Jim we have a huge issue. You can't take any more assignments. You need to come in right away.' I said 'well, Pat, can you explain this to me?'"

"You've been accused of wizardry!"

"Wizardry?"

The school district claims Piculas had some other issues too like not following lesson plans. Piculas says he's worried he won't be able to get future teaching jobs.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/strange/news-article.aspx?storyid=108587

This is like a story straight from the writings of Cotton Mather!! The next thing this school district will do is crush this man (accused of wizardry) with rocks! If he's really a wizard, he'll live. If not, God rest his soul....:redface:

Gotta pray for the fundies. Your story reminded me of this:

It's a shame the press isn't so willing to print all the idiotic things environmentalists and abortionists have participated in.

There are stupid people the world over. Unfortunately, with a biased press, you only get to hear about the ones they don't agree with.

It's a shame the press isn't so willing to print all the idiotic things environmentalists and abortionists have participated in.

There are stupid people the world over. Unfortunately, with a biased press, you only get to hear about the ones they don't agree with.

I've read plenty about the wacko minority in the environmental movement, and there is no coverup there. There is distortion in the right wing media, which tries to portray the fringe as representative of all environmentalists.

Where are the wackos in the abortion debate, other than the clinic bombers and doctor killers among the ironically pro-life?

Forum List

Back