Abraham Lincoln

Dalia

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2016
France
abraham-lincoln-min.jpg

"Abe the Honest", as he is generally nicknamed, was born on February 12, 1809 in Hardin County in the State of Kentucky. It was at this time that the United States began its expansion towards the West and it lives among the pioneers of Kentucky, in a tiny log cabin. His father is indeed a peasant settled on the edge of colonized lands, he loses his wife when Abe is only 9 years old.
Abe learns to cut wood and make fences but also shows a taste for reading which astonishes his father and his new wife since he goes very little to school.
He tries to escape the fate of the unfortunate peasant of the Frontier and begins to work in a shop in his village. He is very robust and has a reputation as a wrestler and a participant in the war against the Black Hawk Indians. He initially moved to New Salem, Illinois where he was appointed postmaster before moving to Springfield; He then began his law studies.
At the time, Lincoln was described as an awkward and timid young man, but he was also an ambitious man who did not hesitate to speak for the subjects he loved.
In 1842, he met his future wife Mary Todd; They have four children, only one of whom will reach adulthood
Lincoln was elected to the United States Congress but, disappointed by the approval of Congress of the war against Mexico, he eventually returned to Springfield. In 1858, he presented himself against Stephen Douglas for a position as Senator. In spite of his defeat, the eloquence with which he expressed himself enabled him to be chosen as the representative of the Republican party in the election of 1860. He thus formed a united and formed republican party to stop the development of slavery especially in The newly acquired States.
Despite his limited experience as a leader, he turns out to be a perfect military leader capable of inspiring courage. On January 1, 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, he proclaimed the Emancipation of all the blacks of America.
During the carnage at Gettysburg, he stressed the importance of remembering all his deaths so that "this nation, under the power of God, can experience a rebirth of freedom and that the people's government, by the people and for the People do not disappear from the surface of the Earth. "
In 1864 he was re-elected and in April 1865, General Lee, signed his capitulation before the Union at Appomattox. Lincoln is generous with the losers and encourages them to surrender their weapons to join the Union as quickly as possible. The proclamation of the abolition of slavery is passed by Congress for all the United States.
On Good Friday in the year 1865, the life of the hero of the nation ended tragically. He was assassinated at Ford's Theater in Washington by John Wilkes Booth. Seven million people attended the funeral procession to Illinois. With his death the will for a rapid national reconciliation collapses and his successors do not have the same generosity as him. It will take another century for Blacks to get the promised equality

-------------------------------------------------------

1854...Abraham Lincoln.

etcheson_fig01a.jpg

Ambrotype acquired in 2006 by the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library. From daguerreotype by Polycarp Von Schneidau, Chicago, Illinois, October 27, 1854. (Image enlarged; actual size 7.5 × 6.25 × 1.5 cm.)

Source : "A living, creeping lie": Abraham Lincoln on Popular Sovereignty
--------------------------------------------------------

ti_57-49b56a0.jpg

The portrait

The language of photography
If the main interest of the portraits executed by a painter is to penetrate beyond the face the soul and character of his models, the first aim of a photograph is to leave a faithful and exact document of the features of a no one.
But if the photographer possesses the qualities of an artist, he can reconcile resemblance with beauty by skillfully using the technical means at his disposal.
This very rare photo of Abraham Lincoln,

A. Hesler: portrait of A. Lincoln, executed in 1860

The great president of the United States is a proof of that. It possesses an incontestable documentary value because it dates from more than a century, but it is also remarkable by the psychological interpretation of the character. In a nutshell, this is an art photograph.
The model was taken three-quarters, which brings out the energetic and voluntary line of thin face. The clear background on which the image clearly stands out, the light projected from above, accentuate the expression of calm and firmness that is read in the limpid and straight gaze

---------------------------------------------------
Lincoln and his horse arrived at President Lincoln's Country House - in bronze form (form), in short. The 2500-pound sculpture, given power by the generosity of Robert H. Smith, commemorates Lincoln's bicentenary.

Lincoln and his family lived at the Country House for a quarter (quarter, quarter) of his presidency - it was the place where Lincoln traced (determined) Union wartime strategies ( Of the Syndicate), marched on the proclamation of emancipation and decided to include the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery in the Republican platform of 1864.

----------------------------------------------------------
http://quod.lib.umich.edu/j/jala/2629860.0029.203?rgn=main;view=fulltext

ti_57-49b56a0.jpg

Had the President of the United States foreseen his own death? Sometimes people have to be taken seriously that their dreams are realized. When Abraham Lincoln himself experienced premonition in 1865, he first met the skepticism of his collaborators.

images

Lincoln recounted his dream to one of his close friends, Ward Hill Lamon, who transcribed the president's remarks the same evening.
"About ten days ago, I went to bed very late ... Soon, I began to dream. I seemed to be surrounded by a deadly silence. Then I perceived sobbed sobs, as if many people were crying. I felt as if I were leaving my bed and going down the stairs.
Down below, the silence was disturbed by the same sobs full of compassion, but the afflicted remained invisible.
I went from room to room. I saw no one, but as I wandered, the same lugubrious complaints of distress reached me.
I was troubled and worried. Determined to discover the origin of these mysterious tears, I continued my journey until I reached the eastern room.

In front of me stood a catafalque where a body dressed in black lay. All around, soldiers guarded the catafalque. There were also a crowd of people. Some sadly contemplated the corpse, whose face was covered. Others wept with compassion.

"Who died at the White House? I asked one of the soldiers. "The President," he replied. He was killed by an assassin. "
A few days later, on April 14, Lincoln fell under the bullets of John Wilkes Booth. His body was exposed to the White House in the eastern room.

April 14, 1865, President Lincoln was shot in the head by an actor named John Wilkes Booth, while Lincoln, his wife, and others sat in a private box at the Ford's Theater. Lincoln died the following morning.

Below are historical photographs depicting the assassination, the theater where it happened, and the aftermath including the Lincoln's funeral and the execution of the conspirators.

johnwilkesbooth.jpg

John Wilkes Booth, the man who shot Lincoln

assassinationoflincoln.jpg

The drawing above is a lithograph of the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln. From left to right: Henry Rathbone, Clara Harris, Mary Todd Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln, and John Wilkes Booth.

fordstheater.jpg

Ford's Theater

presidentialbox.jpg

Photograph of the presidential box at Ford's Theater, made two days after the assassination of President Lincoln. At the center of the box is the picture of George Washington which caught one of the spurs of John Wilkes Booth as he jumped to the stage after shooting Lincoln in the back of the head.

deathbed.jpg

Sketch of Abraham Lincoln's deathbed by Alfred R. Waud.April 14-15, 1865

indeath.jpg

Photograph of Lincoln in death, as he was being embalmed and prepared for his lying in state. Taken at the White House on April 16, 1865 by John B. Bachelder

John_Wilkes_Booth_wanted_poster-small.jpg

The Wanted Poster for John Wilkes Booth

funeraltrain.jpg

The steam locomotive that drew Lincoln's Funeral Train from Washington to Springfield

Cérémonies des funérailles du Président Abraham Lincoln

This remarkable photograph shows the funeral of Abraham Lincoln in New York in 1865, the funeral procession passing the Cornelius Roosevelt residence. The boys with the red-rimmed window observing the procession, are the future president Theodore Roosevelt aged 6 and his brother.

funeral-procession.jpg

Lincoln's Funeral Procession in New York City, 1865

execution.jpg

Booth's conspirators are executed. Execution of Mary Surratt, Lewis Powell, David Herold, and George Atzerodt, conspirators of Abraham Lincoln assassination, on July 7, 1865 at Fort McNair in Washington, D.C. 1 photographic print on stereo card : albumen, stereograph. Original captions: "Execution of the conspirators -- the drop"; from reverse side of submission notes: "The trap is sprung".

Abraham Lincoln Facts, Biography and Images - AboutAbrahamLincoln.com

January 1, 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, he proclaimed the Emancipation of all the blacks of America.

Actually the Emancipation Proclamation did not do that. I believe it declared to be free those blacks who were living in parts of the Confederacy that were at the time controlled by the Union. Which gave him more soldiers.

January 1, 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, he proclaimed the Emancipation of all the blacks of America.

Actually the Emancipation Proclamation did not do that. I believe it declared to be free those blacks who were living in parts of the Confederacy that were at the time controlled by the Union. Which gave him more soldiers.
Pogo good evening one of my French friends an expert about lincoln he knows everything about him, all that needs to know.
I make some thread about History some subject i know more ( French History) but i like the American History still if my english is not so good.

Pogo good evening one of my French friends an expert about lincoln he knows everything about him, all that needs to know.
I make some thread about History some subject i know more ( French History) but i like the American History still if my english is not so good.

And you put an excellent effort into it. Well done for that. :thup:

History is awesome. Such an eye-opener.

Our own schooling as I remember does not cover that distinction noted above. At least mine did not.

And you put an excellent effort into it. Well done for that. :thup:

History is awesome. Such an eye-opener.

Our own schooling as I remember does not cover that distinction noted above. At least mine did not.
Merci pour le compliment :)
History is a passion, some people are not interested yet history belongs to us, I mean it is our ancestors who left us some of the memories and who built the story:)

He was a totalitarian. Nuff said
Hello TNHarley
Thank you for your explanation, but it is the most popular of American Presidents, it is the first Republican.
200px-Republicanlogo.svg.png

Parti whig (1832-1854)
Parti républicain (1854-1865)
Parti de l'Union nationale (1864-1865)
Yeah. They also have FDR in the top 3 and he made internment camps for American citizens.
Its obvious they don't consider our rule of law. If they did, there wouldn't be much of a list.

The stovepipe hats kill me.

I wear an ordinary boonie hat and that works perfectly for any kind of sun or weather.

There is an historical prison on the Florida Keys island of Dry Tortugas where Dr. Mudd (who treated J.W. Booth's broken leg) was sent as a prisoner.

Mudd spent 4 years imprisoned there until Pres Andrew Johnson pardoned him. Johnson was a Southerner.

Samuel Mudd - Wikipedia

I scuba dived around that island a few years ago. There are lots of lobsters which are big and fat and taste really good.

I wear an ordinary boonie hat and that works perfectly for any kind of sun or weather.
Abraham Lincoln had charm with his stovepipe hat
hat2.jpg

and what to say about Napoleon bicorne hat .
170px-Ernest_Meissonier-Campagne_de_France_cropped.jpg

His very popular men's hat may have boosted their popularity.
It's true no other statesman President, King did not wear a hat if I'm wrong.
At least on the French side ... Louis X1V it was the wig and others also no original hat as for Abraham and Napoleon.

There is an historical prison on the Florida Keys island of Dry Tortugas where Dr. Mudd (who treated J.W. Booth's broken leg) was sent as a prisoner.

Mudd spent 4 years imprisoned there until Pres Andrew Johnson pardoned him. Johnson was a Southerner.

Samuel Mudd - Wikipedia

I scuba dived around that island a few years ago. There are lots of lobsters which are big and fat and taste really good.

Hard to believe a doctor was imprisoned for doing his job :wtf:

Different world then.

Abraham Lincoln had charm with his stovepipe hat View attachment 114014

At least on the French side ... Louis X1V it was the wig and others also no original hat as for Abraham and Napoleon.

Lincoln was fond of using his hat as a briefcase. He stored all manner of notes and documents in it and never lost a one. What he did lose was the bag carrying his First Inaugural Address on the train to Washington. An aide left it in a hotel room en route, but it was recovered in time. Bet he wished he had stuck to using his hat.

Abraham Lincoln had charm with his stovepipe hat View attachment 114014

Lincoln was fond of using his hat as a briefcase. He stored all manner of notes and documents in it and never lost a one. What he did lose was the bag carrying his First Inaugural Address on the train to Washington. An aide left it in a hotel room en route, but it was recovered in time. Bet he wished he had stuck to using his hat.
He wore it the night he was assassinated.

Nowadays, we have trouble envisioning Lincoln without his top hat, but how he began wearing it remains unclear. Early in his political career, historians tell us, Lincoln probably chose the hat as a gimmick. In those days he was rarely seen without his stovepipe, the traditional seven- or even eight-inch-high hat that gentlemen had been wearing since early in the century. True, Lincoln’s version was often battered a bit, as if hard worn, an affectation perhaps intended to suit his frontier image. The reformer Carl Schurz later recalled his first meeting with Lincoln, in a railroad car in the 1850s, on the way to one of the future president’s debates with Stephen Douglas. Schurz described Lincoln’s tailcoat as shabby and his top hat as crumpled, giving him what one historian has called a look “of unassuming simplicity.” So ubiquitous is the image of the battered stovepipe that the playwright John Drinkwater, in his popular Abraham Lincoln (1918), has Mrs.Lincoln saying, shortly after her husband is nominated for president, “I’ve tried for years to make him buy a new hat.”

When Lincoln gave his famous speech at the Cooper Institute in New York in February of 1860, some observers were quoted as saying that his hat looked bashed in. But this is unlikely. As the biographer Harold Holzer points out, Lincoln, the very day of his speech, bought a new top hat from Knox Great Hat and Cap at 212 Broadway. His suit fit poorly, his boots hurt his feet, but when he gave his speech in his stovepipe, says Holzer, “at least he would look taller than any man in the city.”

Lincoln’s top hats were not always of the same design. At his first inauguration in 1860, he wore the lower silk plush hat that had by that time come into fashion. By the start of his second term in 1864, he was again wearing a stovepipe, following (or perhaps ushering) a style that would continue for a good decade or more after his assassination.

Lincoln’s stovepipe made him an easy mark for caricaturists, and many drawings have survived in which the hat is the viewer’s means for identifying him. But the cartoonists are not the only ones who found it easy to spot the 16th president in his hat.
Abraham Lincoln’s Top Hat: The Inside Story | History | Smithsonian

Hello TNHarley
Thank you for your explanation, but it is the most popular of American Presidents, it is the first Republican.

Parti whig (1832-1854)
Yeah. They also have FDR in the top 3 and he made internment camps for American citizens.
Its obvious they don't consider our rule of law. If they did, there wouldn't be much of a list.

Odd isn't it that our greatest Presidents also exercised some of the greatest abuses of the Constitution?

If you can't recognize both a President's accomplishments- and failures- then you are not looking at history honestly.

Hello TNHarley

Parti whig (1832-1854)

Odd isn't it that our greatest Presidents also exercised some of the greatest abuses of the Constitution?

If you can't recognize both a President's accomplishments- and failures- then you are not looking at history honestly.
There are correct ways of handling situations. Abusing your power isn't one of them.
Subjectivity shouldn't dictate nations. We call people that do totalitarians.

A couple things to add to this thread.

It is actually "Honest Abe" not "Abe the honest," which I am guessing is just a translation thing.

John Wilkes Booth's brother actually saved Lincoln's son Robert when Robert fell on a train track in New Jersey.

A couple things to add to this thread.

It is actually "Honest Abe" not "Abe the honest," which I am guessing is just a translation thing.

I am guessing is just a translation thing.

true for me it take me time and vérification to post the best i can.

John Wilkes Booth's brother actually saved Lincoln's son Robert when Robert fell on a train track in New Jersey

The exact date of the encounter is unknown, although Robert consistently recalled it as having occurred in 1863 or 1864.
The incident occurred while a group of passengers were late at night purchasing their sleeping car places from the conductor who stood on the station platform at the entrance of the car. The platform was about the height of the car floor, and there was of course a narrow space between the platform and the car body. There was some crowding, and I happened to be pressed by it against the car body while waiting my turn. In this situation the train began to move, and by the motion I was twisted off my feet, and had dropped somewhat, with feet downward, into the open space, and was personally helpless, when my coat collar was vigorously seized and I was quickly pulled up and out to a secure footing on the platform. Upon turning to thank my rescuer I saw it was Edwin Booth, whose face was of course well known to me, and I expressed my gratitude to him, and in doing so, called him by name.

edwinbooth.jpg

Edwin Booth, older brother of John Wilkes Booth and son of actor Junius Brutus Booth, was considered one of the great American Shakespearean actors of the 19th century. (Library of Congress)

roberttoddlincoln2.jpg

Robert Todd Lincoln, the first child born to President Abraham Lincoln and Mary Todd Lincoln, spent most of the war years at Harvard College but joined General-in-Chief Ulysses S. Grant’s staff early in 1865. (Library of Congress)

Months after the incident, in 1865, Booth received a letter from a friend, Colonel Adam Badeau, then serving as an officer on Grant’s staff. Lincoln had related the story of the rescue to Badeau while they were stationed at City Point, Va., and Badeau supposedly offered Booth his compliments for having performed such a deed.

Dalia.I dont know near as much of the the situation of Lincolns assassin john wilkes booth as i would like to so i was wondering,does your friend know a lot about his assassination? i can pretty much tell you I am an enyclpedia when it comes to the JFK assassination but lincolns i dont know near as much about as i wish i did.

however once i was watching unsolved mysterios and something they said on there i thought was really funny was about the lincoln assassination because it was so crazy it was comical.it was very similair to the oswald situation.we know that the man they said was oswald could not have been the birth lee harvey oswald gunned down because there were way too many descrepancys in his height and weight as well as certain berthmarks he had that were not on the man in the basement.

well it was the same thing they were saying on that show i remember once,they were saying that booth came to the doctor and the doctor that examined him said,the man i examined did not have this birthmark that john wilkes booth did,john wilkes booth was such and such tall,this guy is not that tall,he did not have any of these that john wilkes booth has but this is defientely john wilkes booth,:biggrin:

pretty comical dont you agree?:biggrin: please ask your friend if he is aware of any of that thanks.

Dalia.I dont know near as much of the the situation of Lincolns assassin john wilkes booth as i would like to so i was wondering,does your friend know a lot about his assassination? i can pretty much tell you I am an enyclpedia when it comes to the JFK assassination but lincolns i dont know near as much about as i wish i did.

however once i was watching unsolved mysterios and something they said on there i thought was really funny was about the lincoln assassination because it was so crazy it was comical.it was very similair to the oswald situation.we know that the man they said was oswald could not have been the birth lee harvey oswald gunned down because there were way too many descrepancys in his height and weight as well as certain berthmarks he had that were not on the man in the basement.

well it was the same thing they were saying on that show i remember once,they were saying that booth came to the doctor and the doctor that examined him said,the man i examined did not have this birthmark that john wilkes booth did,john wilkes booth was such and such tall,this guy is not that tall,he did not have any of these that john wilkes booth has but this is defientely john wilkes booth,:biggrin:

pretty comical dont you agree?:biggrin: please ask your friend if he is aware of any of that thanks.
Hello LA RAM FAN, i did not know about this storie eather, it would be a murder conspiracy like JFK but why lie about the Lincoln Assassin?

i could ask him but maybe someone else here at the forum know about this storie ?

New Topics

Forum List

Back