About US Submarine Force

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/49561.htm

By ALBERT H. KONETZNI JR.

July 5, 2005 -- EDITOR'S NOTE: Vice Adm. (ret.) Albert H. Konetzni Jr. testifies today before the Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC), the panel reviewing proposed military base closings. He served as Deputy Commander and Chief of Staff, U.S. Fleet Forces Command, 2001-'04, and Commander, Submarine Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet, 1998-'01.

AMERICAN military history records many instances of poor readiness or non-availability of war-fighting equipment when conflicts broke out. (More on that below.)

In that light, consider these facts:

* American submarines perform many missions — but serve as the premier anti-submarine weapons platform in the U.S. Navy inventory today.

* There are 400 submarines in the world today; about half are friendly.

China has a larger submarine force than the United States.

* China is building at least five new nuclear fast attack submarines — and two new ballistic-missile nuclear submarines todaym greatly enhancing Chinese capabilities.

* Nineteen submarines were launched last year worldwide — nine of them in China.

* And the United States has launched just four submarines in the last five years...

Sometimes it really sucks being the good guys and watching the bad guys build up, knowing at some point they will strike you.

But then again I just know they are building those subs out of peace, love, and understanding.

Yeah, well ....while China considers us Public Enemy #!, we still honor them with a 'favored nation" status trade-wise. We'll ignore them like we do everyone else until they blow up something of ours.

As far as submarines adn the people who man them go, my hat's off to anyone who has the stones to ride around in a tin cigar hundreds of feet under the ocean. I've seen and been in some hairy stuff before, but I break out in a sweat just thinking about getting into one of those things.

GunnyL said:
Yeah, well ....while China considers us Public Enemy #!, we still honor them with a 'favored nation" status trade-wise. We'll ignore them like we do everyone else until they blow up something of ours.

As far as submarines adn the people who man them go, my hat's off to anyone who has the stones to ride around in a tin cigar hundreds of feet under the ocean. I've seen and been in some hairy stuff before, but I break out in a sweat just thinking about getting into one of those things.

But they got gooooood chow. Much better than the LST or LKA or LPD. Never rode a carrier, heard they had good chow as well.

About stones......... yeah. What he said.

pegwinn said:
But they got gooooood chow. Much better than the LST or LKA or LPD. Never rode a carrier, heard they had good chow as well.

About stones......... yeah. What he said.

I rode LPDs and LHDs. Forunately, I missed the LST's. :mm:

You think that carrier's big until you try to get your three miles in topside, or you're stuck on it in a combat box indefinitely.

But if those get hit the surface is DOWN, not 600 feet UP!

Forum List

Back