About Time! Government Interference I CAN agree with!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Big Fitz, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    How researchers can shut down your mobile phone while you're driving | Mail Online

Most people here know my hate for gubmint interfering with freedom, but this is actually a very good thing.

As a professional driver I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE cellphone using idiots behind the wheel of their car traveling down the road. This system is a Godsend if it works as planned and is on use of technology aided government interference I do agree with.

When you even SPEAK with a cell, your driving capability is equal to that as being legally drunk. Texting, even worse. I have witnessed two accidents in the space of weeks both easily related to cellphone use over driving.

Since people cannot control themselves and safely operate vehicles by giving them pretty much their entire attention, I'd see this as a good and reasonable use of the technology.

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,684
    I hate it too Fitz. Nothing worse than an idiot tailgater yapping on her cell phone.

But it's really overstepping the gov'ts authority to shut down your cell phone when they deem it unsafe. In this case the gov't should fuck off.

Ticket for "Cell or Text while Driving"? Sure.
    Cops shut down your phone? No.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    well its become a quality of life issue for me who experiences about 1 close call a week due to work.

4. Photonic

Photonic Ad astra!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +247
    How about the many new cars with bluetooth? Or even the old cars with the upgrade?

We should push for better and cheaper access to such things, instead of government regulation.

5. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    all i care about is stopping idiot amateur drivers who think they can text/chat/talk/browse and drive at the same time. Tests show it's the same as driving drunk or worse. You want to do that, pull over.

They've proven to be unable to do it on their own. What sucks is that I was really hoping that the populace WOULD catch on that it is more dangerous than they idly think it isn't so we wouldn't have to consider such things. But if this is the only way possible to stop people from nearly killing me once a week while I work, I'm kinda for it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Using a mobile phone while driving is illegal in the UK. 3 points on your license. And still, morons use them. These people are idiots.

7. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    yeah like dui drivers. hence, this tech ends the need for enforcement of those laws because it wont work

8. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Ditto, too far. As already mentioned, bluetooth and other such devices are safe. It is as distracting as having a passenger in the car. All people should not be subjected to having their phones shut off because there are idiots who won't buy the 10 dollar bluetooth device.

That is not to mention how easy a system like this would be to bypass...

9. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Should vehicle manufacturers be required to install breathalyzers in all vehicles?

10. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    You've a point there, but since cell phone usage is so much more common while driving, maybe it should be treated like a car breathalyzer. You get one installed after you get dinged for a ticket. Needless to say, I have run into so many drivers weaving on the road, inattentive, going slow, going too fast, near misses, blah blah blah yacketty schmacketty because I saw them talking or texting behind the wheel, I'm disgusted with the inability of society to hang up and realize that 95% of the calls you receive while driving can wait till you're in Park.