About those Recruiting PMs you might have gotten...

There's a lowlife pathetic creep that causing USMB Moderation a lot of headaches. Maybe you can help..

Some of you may have been solicited by any number of socks this person has used to sign into USMB and we've already perm banned about 5 of his accounts for trying to pouch our members. We're NOT REAL worried, since his new "board" is as pathetic as he is.. But it's taking up too much mod time..

If you've gotten a solicitation to join his "junior league" message board, perhaps if you like USMB and don't want this current great group of mods to lose their break room poker time -- MAYBE you could go over there and let your "troll flags fly"...

Nothing TOO obvious of course... :abgg2q.jpg: The object would be to pester him just ENOUGH so that you get banned eventually and come home a hero... :113: Let's us know if you accomplish the mission.. We'll consider a proper medal of honor for you...

Don't ask me the name of this site.. We're not gonna tell you if you DON'T HAVE a PM from this dingbat with the link. . And PLEASE don't mention USMB or other message boards while you're over there being snarky... If you do find some USMB member dumb enough to have settled in there -- DO PM and tell her/him/thee/Zee that we KNOW they are there.. And we forgive them for being gullible and stupid... :badgrin:

We'd appreciate the help.... And look forward to the campaign stories that you can tell your grandkids...

:coffee:

Why don't you shut off PM's until they reach FIRST 50 posts? That should stop most of it right away, since he would have to spend a lot of time here....., and less over there.

That's pretty smart.. Thanks.. We do have post minimums for links and attachments and access to a personal photo gallery.. I imagine that Xenforo allows for restricting the "newbie" class on PMs as well...

Thanks, I'll contact the Admins...

It should since the few FREE forum software I have run allows for FULL restriction on PM's like myBB has this:

In Admin board:

Account Setting of a chosen member

Messaging & Notification
Receive emails from administrators
Hide email address from other members
Receive private messages from other users ( I can stop it by unchecking the box)
Only receive private messages from buddy list (this setting has no effect unless there is at least one buddy on the list)
Alert with notice when new private message is received
Notify by email when new private message is received
Receive PM notifications for new buddy requests
Automatically accept buddy requests (if the above checkbox is ticked, a PM is sent informing of the new buddy connection)

OR,

you can just create a new user group that restrict PM's totally, like this:

Edit User group (insert name for the group)

Users and Permissions

Private Messaging
Can use private messaging?
Can send private messages?
Can send private messages even if recipients have them disabled?
Can track sent private messages?
Can deny message receipt notifications?

==================

Can say NO to all of them.

I have seen similar with SMF and phpBB3, when I used those forum software in the past. When I was administrator on a vBULLETIN board, they also had that restriction, and even in IP board too, when I was a Moderator there.

thanks.. Yeah -- all "new users" are in a separate group and all or most of their privileges can be selected.. They "graduate" from that group at the same minimum post count which has changed so many times, I'm not real sure what it is today...

I did ask them to look into it..

They all claim to be non-partisan and if you accuse them of leaning one way or another, they come unglued, get rid of you and eventually a year or two later their board collapses. This latest board probably won't last a year and people from here will be there recruiting to get people to come to USM when they figure out the other board caters to a couple of trolls and it ends up being an all conservative or all liberal board.

We actually ARE non-partisan because the rules do not in way allow moderation to judge opinion or legal content. That's why we have bigots, racists, anarchists, partisan dupes and trolls.. The rules are designed for -- and all we want -- is for folks to respect the topic of each individual thread.. Warnings are for posts WITHOUT specific content, pure 100% flaming or violation of some of lines that can't be crossed.. The last category is very few lines and ones that MOST everyone should agree on threats, stalking, family dissing, accusations of pedo or beasty, etc....

The mod staff is universally APPALLED at the state of politics.. Both sides are spirally into gibberish, hypocrisy and irrelevance to fixing anything that SHOULD be happening in the swamp... We're literally just plugging the holes and doing it quite mechanically...

They all claim to be non-partisan and if you accuse them of leaning one way or another, they come unglued, get rid of you and eventually a year or two later their board collapses. This latest board probably won't last a year and people from here will be there recruiting to get people to come to USM when they figure out the other board caters to a couple of trolls and it ends up being an all conservative or all liberal board.

We actually ARE non-partisan because the rules do not in way allow moderation to judge opinion or legal content. That's why we have bigots, racists, anarchists, partisan dupes and trolls.. The rules are designed for -- and all we want -- is for folks to respect the topic of each individual thread.. Warnings are for posts WITHOUT specific content, pure 100% flaming or violation of some of lines that can't be crossed.. The last category is very few lines and ones that MOST everyone should agree on threats, stalking, family dissing, accusations of pedo or beasty, etc....

The mod staff is universally APPALLED at the state of politics.. Both sides are spirally into gibberish, hypocrisy and irrelevance to fixing anything that SHOULD be happening in the swamp... We're literally just plugging the holes and doing it quite mechanically...

I am not singling out this board. OTOH, sometimes you read a grain of truth in criticisms. Like I said, some guys are professional trolls on these boards. When you see them troll someone and they lead it into a conversation that goes south because a poster with less board savvy takes the bait, it gives one pause to think.

I'm like a lot of people. I can look in and say, if it were me I'd eliminate the professional trolls instead of the mark. But, I'm not in your position and my opinion is like an asshole. Everybody you know has one.

Although I wasn't recruited to come here, I was recruited to join into the flame zone.

:cool:

My thought is, if you are unhappy posting here, go somewhere else. I do on occasion. Just don't expect another broad to be better, because it won't be. Oh maybe at first, but later you will see the advantages of being here. I think this place could be much better, but it is not mine to change.

My thought is, if you are unhappy posting here, go somewhere else. I do on occasion. Just don't expect another broad to be better, because it won't be. Oh maybe at first, but later you will see the advantages of being here. I think this place could be much better, but it is not mine to change.
Gewfball!!! It's always better when you're around. :muahaha:

Gewfball!!! It's always better when you're around. :muahaha:

Yes, almost convinced myself to post more, but no.

Forum List

Back