About the Tea Party

Interesting.......2 of the things that made this country great is what you'd like to cut.

Railroads made the whole country accessible.

Eisenhower created the highway system that connects all of us together, which means that everyone can have non local food anytime they want it.

Are you sure you really want to cut them? I mean.........Amtrak is a great way to travel if you have the time, took me only 2 days to get from Memphis to Montana, cheaper than air travel and quicker than traveling via car.

I remember going on leave for a month once and going from Memphis to Chicago to Montana to Oregon, down through California (San Francisco) and then back up to Salt Lake City before going to Chicago and then back to Memphis.

Probably one of the better months of my life. Saw a lot of stuff and had kinky sex in the bathroom with a hot redhead.

Man alive! Why not subsidize wagon trains? They opened the West. AmTrak is a dandy device if the population has the relative desnsity of an anthill in the expanded area. In Minesoota or Montana, not so much.

Run AmTrak where it makes sense in the Boston-Washington corridor and shut it down elsewhere. You'll just have to have your love tryst in the back of a Greyhound and then re-live it on the internet.

The money for the "Highway Bill" is an annual free for all of graft and bribery of money sent to Washington and then doled back out to the states. Why not leave it in the states and let them fix their own highways? The States are who does it now anyway except they just launder the cash through Washington before using it to bribe those who can get them re-elected.

Your train ticket, by the by, paid about 1/10 of the cost of your little moboilized roll n the hay. Me and those reading this paid the oher 9/10 of it. Your welcome, but you could have paid money to for-profit private enterprise and made the same trip.

If the service is needed, people will pay to use it. If not, it's not. This is not a complex solution.

The rest of the world laughs at us with our non technology with those bullet trains. Are you a hick who never left your moma's home town? Its just a question and how you answer will clear up a lot of things.

The rest of the world is not us. If you live in the dense population areas, AmTrak has a chance. If you live in the areas between the Mississippi and the Rockies, it's a loser. It was a noble experiment that failed.

If you can't afford to fly and don't own a car, there are buses that can take you where you want to go. They are private enterprise and will get the job done.

Amtrak Subsidies | Downsizing the Federal Government

The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, or Amtrak, is the federal organization that operates passenger rail service in the United States. It was created by the Rail Passenger Service Act of 1970. Amtrak is structured as a corporation, but its board members are appointed by the president of the United States and virtually all its stock is owned by the federal government.1 Amtrak has about 19,000 employees, and its annual revenues were $2.4 billion in 2009.2

Amtrak has been providing second-rate train service for almost four decades, while consuming almost $40 billion in federal subsidies. The system has never earned a profit and most of its routes lose money. Amtrak's on-time record is very poor, and the system as a whole only accounts for 0.1 percent of America's passenger travel.3 Another problem is that Amtrak's infrastructure is in bad shape. Most of the blame for Amtrak's woes should be pinned on Congress, which insists on supporting an extensive, nationwide system of passenger rail that doesn't make economic sense.

The solution is to privatize and deregulate passenger rail. Varying degrees of private involvement in passenger rail have been pursued abroad, such as in Australia, Britain, Germany, Japan, and New Zealand. Privatization would allow Amtrak greater flexibility in its finances, in capital investment, and in the operation of its services—free from costly meddling by Congress.

I see the Tea party as the common man who has just now found his voice after many years of fat, lazy silence. Right now they are clownish and disorganized in their new reincarnation and need polish and direction but that IS the voice of the common man you are hearing, make no mistake about it. Later it will morph into what it will eventually be, for good or ill but don't be too quick to laugh, my friends. Far smaller factions of far less experienced members have changed the world.

I also see the 'fat, lazy' as just about all of us that have been cruising along for several generations letting the Government run itself while we reaped the benefits. But something has gone terribly wrong there in the last few decades, hasn't it? And it's not just Democrats, and it's not just Republicans and it's not just corporations and it's not just a shaky infrastructure, is it? It's all of us that have stood by while others that did not have our country's best interest at heart have been given full head to do as they wish, politicians from both parties that have passed laws without looking down the road at the possible complications and ramifications or doing so. And why? BECAUSE WE WEREN'T WATCHING.

Well, now a small faction of people that remember when this country was great have gotten a platform and a voice. That is always scary to the leaches because they don't want to let go of their fat host. But the host has been drained almost dry and they'll fall off while the rest of us try to revive it.

That bunch of guys that dumped all the Tetley in the Boston Harbor were a disorganized bunch of rabble too. Never judge anything by it's first reincarnation. And never underestimate the common man when you stir him up. After all, the Boston Tea Partiers were just pissed off over a breakfast beverage.

I can dig it, cool post.

Let me guess some anti-teapartier already came in and said "they are all racist cause obama is black" LOL.

Not yet but the post's young you know.:eusa_whistle: I like your sig line. How appropriate for this day and time.

Exactly what rights have been taken away Foxfyre?

Because, if you're referring to the Patriot Act, that was done under Jr. Also, the creation of Homeland Security.

Just off the top of my head (and I wasn't even thinking about the Patriot Act and even if I was, I don't give a damn which President or what party is in charge) just some of the rights we have lost:

The right to use certain terms in public without fear of retaliation from government figures.
The right to use the lightbulbs we prefer.
The right to drive the kind of car we want to drive.
The right to regulate our local schools the way we want.
The right to not be subject to authoritarian government in matters of healthcare and various other assorted issues.
The right to refuse services to people who should not be entitled to them.
The right to smoke on my private property.
The right to put up a traditional religious display commemorating a holiday or a piece of historical religious art without being subject to threats of lawsuit.
The right to contribute only to those I think deserving of my contributions.
The right to opt out of government programs in favor of doing my own thing.
The right to equal protection under the law no matter what race or socioeconomic status to which I belong
The right to put traditional Christmas music in the school Christmas program.
The right to set and enforce the rules for my own kids.

I could go on and on. But as government becomes more and more our Mom, Dad, Nanny, and Savior from all of life's problems, the less freedom we will have or can be sure of. A government big enough to do everything we want it to do is big enough to take anything it wants from us.

Well said Fox!! I keep hearing about the 'party of no' so I made my own list.

Did it ever occur to you the CONSTITUTION is all about 'NO!'?
NO! You can't take our guns!
NO! You can't tell us not to protest!
NO! You can't regulate our free speech!
NO! You cannot invade our homes without a warrant and a damn good reason!
NO! You can't send us to prison without due process!
NO! You can't tell us when and where to worship the God of our choice!
Sometimes the party of YES! isn't all it's cracked up to be!
People ARE catching on though, Thank God!!

No, the problem with the economy right now is that they didn't let Jr.'s tax cuts expire. Wanna know why they were set up for 10 years? To see if they worked. Thus far, they haven't.

The tax cuts worked pretty well. The unemployment rate was around 5% when the Democrats were calling it the worst economy since the Great Depression. That was about 15 million jobs ago.

'member?

Then the credit fiasco broke loose thanks largely to the lax lending laws put in place by the idiot thieves in Congress in both parties and their willing accomplices in the White House and the Fed.

The 9/11 Recession was fairly short lived. This one is not. About 2 Trillion of Failed Stimulus plus QE later and we're still screwed.

Still another complex solution. So complex it could never work.

The Bush tax cuts and relaxation of some unnecessary regulation was exactly what the country needed in the wake of the 9/11 recession and it is a large reason for why that recession was relatively short lived. History has shown over and over that the right kind of tax relief can be a shot in the arm to the economy. But it has to be targeted at industry and the producers of jobs to have any long term effect. If it does not generate a robust economy providing new taxes to offset any short term loss to the treasury, the stimulus fails. The Bush tax cuts succeeded in generating new taxes to offset any losses.

Tax increases done at the wrong time or in the wrong way have a similar sure effect on slowing the economy. Bush41 did that with disastrous results.

Unfortunately tax cuts or increases do nothing to stem the appetite of Congress to spend every penny it gets plus a lot more.

The economic stimulus from a good tax or regulation reform is also limited in effect and will generate new economic activity for only so long. However, the new level of GDP, though it will retreat a bit, will generally settle out at a sustained higher level than it was before the stimulus.

Bush's tax reform netted some very good things.

Obama's tax and regulation policies so far have netted us a sustained period of a high misery index.

And, consistent with that thought, I was surprised to find that Jack Cafferty, a voice on the Left from CNN, said the following:

"FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

For those who thought the Tea Party was a passing fad, it might be time to reconsider:

For starters, it seems like the Tea Partiers may be among the only people in Washington who are serious about reining in government spending.

While Democrats and Republicans talk... and talk... and talk about cutting spending and reducing our skyrocketing deficits and $14 trillion national debt, some in the Tea Party have real solutions."
Cafferty File: Tell Jack how you really feel Blog Archive - Tea Party the answer to cutting govt. spending? « - CNN.com Blogs

Too bad that the dolt just below the OP can't see beyond party designation.

Real solutions or simple solutions to complex issues? I see the latter; real solutions require complex and critical thinking to anticipate what are the intended and what may be the unintended consequences of an action.

As Reagan said, kind of, the choices are not complex, they're just hard. In business, if you want to achieve a goal, you make a budget and then execute a plan to achieve the budget and thereby, your goal.

In anything concerning money, the goal is to finish ahead of where you currently are. Right now, we're in the shitter. Our goal should be to get out of before it gets flushed.

The apparent plan of the current administration is to get deeper into it. Bad plan.

The government is nothing more or less than a money management group. They do a piss poor job. The job they do seems to be getting worse with every passing day.

We have a pretty predictable amount of money coming in. We need to pace the spending to the earning. This is not a complex solution, but it is a hard one.

Liberals do not have the guts to make the choices that need to be made. Republicans and Democrats are all Liberals.

Until we get a Conservative government in place, we are screwed.

At least a balanced Government. It's hard taking back entitlements and we are going to hear a lot of flak over it but we are just going to have to let that roll off our backs. Somebody has to cut the apron string and run back to the bunker while the slings and arrows rain down upon our head. In 50 years welfare hasn't done a bit of good for anybody, especially those of us footing the bill.

If I managed my acct's the way the Government has I'd be in jail right now.

So I say from now on: 'We'll help the helpless but we don't give a shit about the clueless anymore.'
DM

Last edited:
You have the source for that AH? Because except for a few points, it just doesn't look like anything I've seen put before a Tea Party group.

The Contract from America that is endorsed by a lot of Tea Party groups looks like this:

The Contract from America . . . <SNIP>

My post is from a list of ideas suggested up to January 24, 2010 leading up to the 2010 election. It was an abstract list and not the final one. I used it because it was comprehensive at the time and although it had not been refined down to the final result, it showed what Tea Partiers were thinking of which never did include a lot of what they are criticized for like calling for drug testing. There was a very low count that called for drug testing of political appointees or government workers perhaps.

From the Link:

Contract From America Nearing Phase 2
“Right now, we are in the process of narrowing down all the ideas submitted, and we want you to be part of the process. Please go to The Liberty Lab, and help us by taking the survey. This survey is the next step in a process that will help us identify 20 of the most important issues that resonate with the grassroots community. Following your help finalizing the list, an online vote will be held in February and March, with the final list of 10-12 ideas being unveiled at the April 15th rallies as the Contract from America.”

Tea Party Patriots Home

You have the source for that AH? Because except for a few points, it just doesn't look like anything I've seen put before a Tea Party group.

The Contract from America that is endorsed by a lot of Tea Party groups looks like this:

My post is from a list of ideas suggested up to January 24, 2010 leading up to the 2010 election. It was an abstract list and not the final one. I used it because it was comprehensive at the time and although it had not been refined down to the final result, it showed what Tea Partiers were thinking of which never did include a lot of what they are criticized for like calling for drug testing. There was a very low count that called for drug testing of political appointees or government workers perhaps.

From the Link:

“Right now, we are in the process of narrowing down all the ideas submitted, and we want you to be part of the process. Please go to The Liberty Lab, and help us by taking the survey. This survey is the next step in a process that will help us identify 20 of the most important issues that resonate with the grassroots community. Following your help finalizing the list, an online vote will be held in February and March, with the final list of 10-12 ideas being unveiled at the April 15th rallies as the Contract from America.”

Tea Party Patriots Home

Well it's interesting but I hope it doesn't catch on. Despite its more ignorant and hateful critics, so far the Tea Party has done a good job staying above the partisan and controversial issues and focusing on basic policy that will restore fiscal integrity and sanity along with our basic freedoms and Constitutional intent. Once that is accomplished, then individuals can voice what social policy and process they would like to see in place, but chances are, most Tea Partiers won't be looking to the federal government to deal with that.

From the Link:

&#8220;Right now, we are in the process of narrowing down all the ideas submitted, and we want you to be part of the process. Please go to The Liberty Lab, and help us by taking the survey. This survey is the next step in a process that will help us identify 20 of the most important issues that resonate with the grassroots community. Following your help finalizing the list, an online vote will be held in February and March, with the final list of 10-12 ideas being unveiled at the April 15th rallies as the Contract from America.&#8221;

Tea Party Patriots Home

Well it's interesting but I hope it doesn't catch on. Despite its more ignorant and hateful critics, so far the Tea Party has done a good job staying above the partisan and controversial issues and focusing on basic policy that will restore fiscal integrity and sanity along with our basic freedoms and Constitutional intent. Once that is accomplished, then individuals can voice what social policy and process they would like to see in place, but chances are, most Tea Partiers won't be looking to the federal government to deal with that.

It wasn't ever an issue; I followed it out in the links and it had very very few votes, never coming close to making the cut.

The big question to me about the TP is whether they get too involved in social issues to the point where their primary focus on debt and deficits and the role of gov't is diminished. Are they going to get wrapped around the axle on stuff like Planned Parenthood and NPR, cuz then their political force begins to wane.

I am so glad these people stood up and started speaking their mind. Otherwise we'd have one group of progressives following another and spending money like crazy until the stuff hits the fan. Yeah, they ain't polished or politically savvy, but they have changed the focus of debate in this country on what the gov't can or should do and how to pay for it. And that's a good thing no matter who you are or what you believe.

I cannot see the downside of people actually taking an interest in their government no matter what they call themselves. It's about time we started watching these nimrods that have been running roughshod over this country for decades, allowed to do as they wish without consulting anybody but their money men.
Like I said, they are clumsy and clownish at this point (the tea partiers) and I doubt 20 years from now they willl be able to look back on their roots and see a clear path to where they are at that time. Lots of twists and turns, power struggles and power grabs ahead for these people but I just find it comforting to know there are still people out there that want to stop the madness a little bit.

As for fearing the future, as one guy mentioned, who wouldn't fear a future like the one most of us see in front of us?

Its a start,its a hoot to watch people complain,and then when there is a group that is really trying to make changes,they get demonized by the same group of complainers

It would be a great world if not for the people.

The big question to me about the TP is whether they get too involved in social issues to the point where their primary focus on debt and deficits and the role of gov't is diminished. Are they going to get wrapped around the axle on stuff like Planned Parenthood and NPR, cuz then their political force begins to wane.

I am so glad these people stood up and started speaking their mind. Otherwise we'd have one group of progressives following another and spending money like crazy until the stuff hits the fan. Yeah, they ain't polished or politically savvy, but they have changed the focus of debate in this country on what the gov't can or should do and how to pay for it. And that's a good thing no matter who you are or what you believe.

I cannot see the downside of people actually taking an interest in their government no matter what they call themselves. It's about time we started watching these nimrods that have been running roughshod over this country for decades, allowed to do as they wish without consulting anybody but their money men.
Like I said, they are clumsy and clownish at this point (the tea partiers) and I doubt 20 years from now they willl be able to look back on their roots and see a clear path to where they are at that time. Lots of twists and turns, power struggles and power grabs ahead for these people but I just find it comforting to know there are still people out there that want to stop the madness a little bit.

As for fearing the future, as one guy mentioned, who wouldn't fear a future like the one most of us see in front of us?

Its a start,its a hoot to watch people complain,and then when there is a group that is really trying to make changes,they get demonized by the same group of complainers

It would be a great world if not for the people.

You said a mouthful.:clap2:

I'm new here so I'm sorry if I'm off base or not replying properly to a post (this is my first post) but here goes @Truthseeker it looks like you posted 4/14/2011. How long has your head been stuck in the sand? (or where ever) There are over 20 million people who now support the Tea Party. That is only after 2 years of existence. Talk about uninformed. It is scary to think you might actually vote.

@wry catcher, Tell me how good that critical thinking turned out when the Democrats in congress decided everyone and his brother should own a house? Unintended consequences were well thought out? The simple solution back then would have been Make sure they can afford it. Make sure banks remain well capitalized. Make sure the Moodys of the world rated debt properly. I'll take that "Simple Solution" over the career politicians "Critical Thinking" Thank you very much.

That bunch of guys that dumped all the Tetley in the Boston Harbor were a disorganized bunch of rabble too.

No, they weren't. They were highly organized and diciplined, too.

But I agree that the TP could morph into something real.

I don't think it will, because its funding is so obviously controlled by the money bags of one party, but it might happen.

AFter all the Krupt family never thought that the National Socialists would ever get the chain, either, but it did, and then the Krupts ended up taking orders from the nobody Corporal for Austria.

@Cuyo, Are you still trying to marginalize the Tea Party? LOL. We are the old silent majority who were stupid enough to actually trust the elected officials to do what was best for the people and the Nation. Shame on us.

AB... the "Bush tax cuts" if repealed equal $50 Billion. $1,400 Billion deficit spending in the hole. That is about 15% of the over spending. Not very effective. This $50 billion will be removed from the investment community and cost $50 billion in job creating potential. Or if the wealthy spent it instead of investing it to create jobs, the goods and services they spend it on would create more jobs. Giving it to the government would be ok if it pays off the debt. But it won't. FIRST STOP GOVERNMENT OVERSPENDING only then should we consider any more taxes to pay off the debt. More taxes that only are used for government over spending only harms the economy and hurts job growth. The same way future job growth will be hurt by more taxes to pay off all the debt once over spending is stopped. However, OVER SPENDING MUST BE STOPPED FITST. Or all is lost.

Last edited:
That bunch of guys that dumped all the Tetley in the Boston Harbor were a disorganized bunch of rabble too.

No, they weren't. They were highly organized and diciplined, too.

But I agree that the TP could morph into something real.

I don't think it will, because its funding is so obviously controlled by the money bags of one party, but it might happen.

AFter all the Krupt family never thought that the National Socialists would ever get the chain, either, but it did, and then the Krupts ended up taking orders from the nobody Corporal for Austria.
Ed, I get requests for money from the T-party (of which I am a registered member) and I give. Maybe we should examine those donations. I find that the Democrat party gets few but large contributions in any race where one can find data. The Republican party
the opposite: many but smaller. My three donations have been $25 in each case.

That is real grass roots participation; the D-party,,, well, not so much.

Last edited:
The Socialists and Communists actually have the Progressives and Liberals working toward total government control. WOW!

On the far left there is total government control as in a Dictator or Communism, called Tyranny. On the far right there is no government called Anarchy. The Founding Fathers created the Constitution in the middle. Not too much government, not too little government. For the left to call a return to the Constitution a far right movement, shows just how far left they really are.

“When all government, domestic [states] and foreign [federal], shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated.”
Thomas Jefferson – 1821

I see the Tea party as the common man who has just now found his voice after many years of fat, lazy silence. Right now they are clownish and disorganized in their new reincarnation and need polish and direction but that IS the voice of the common man you are hearing, make no mistake about it. Later it will morph into what it will eventually be, for good or ill but don't be too quick to laugh, my friends. Far smaller factions of far less experienced members have changed the world.

also see the 'fat, lazy' as just about all of us that have been cruising along for several generations letting the Government run itself while we reaped the benefits. But something has gone terribly wrong there in the last few decades, hasn't it? And it's not just Democrats, and it's not just Republicans and it's not just corporations and it's not just a shaky infrastructure, is it? It's all of us that have stood by while others that did not have our country's best interest at heart have been given full head to do as they wish, politicians from both parties that have passed laws without looking down the road at the possible complications and ramifications or doing so. And why? BECAUSE WE WEREN'T WATCHING.

Well, now, a small faction of people that remember when this country was great have gotten a platform and a voice. That is always scary to the leaches because they don't want to let go of their fat host. But the host has been drained almost dry and they'll fall off while the rest of us try to revive it.

That bunch of guys that dumped all the Tetley in the Boston Harbor were a disorganized bunch of rabble too. Never judge anything by it's first reincarnation. And never underestimate the common man when you stir him up. After all, the Boston Tea Partiers were just pissed off over a breakfast beverage.

And, consistent with that thought, I was surprised to find that Jack Cafferty, a voice on the Left from CNN, said the following:

"FROM CNN's Jack Cafferty:

For those who thought the Tea Party was a passing fad, it might be time to reconsider:

For starters, it seems like the Tea Partiers may be among the only people in Washington who are serious about reining in government spending.

While Democrats and Republicans talk... and talk... and talk about cutting spending and reducing our skyrocketing deficits and $14 trillion national debt, some in the Tea Party have real solutions."
Cafferty File: Tell Jack how you really feel Blog Archive - Tea Party the answer to cutting govt. spending? « - CNN.com Blogs

Too bad that the dolt just below the OP can't see beyond party designation.

Jack Cafferty will not be gainfully employed by CNN if he keeps talking like that.

I also see the 'fat, lazy' as just about all of us that have been cruising along for several generations letting the Government run itself while we reaped the benefits. But something has gone terribly wrong there in the last few decades, hasn't it? And it's not just Democrats, and it's not just Republicans and it's not just corporations and it's not just a shaky infrastructure, is it? It's all of us that have stood by while others that did not have our country's best interest at heart have been given full head to do as they wish, politicians from both parties that have passed laws without looking down the road at the possible complications and ramifications or doing so. And why? BECAUSE WE WEREN'T WATCHING.

Well, now a small faction of people that remember when this country was great have gotten a platform and a voice. That is always scary to the leaches because they don't want to let go of their fat host. But the host has been drained almost dry and they'll fall off while the rest of us try to revive it.

As far as I can tell, a large part of the Tea Party is Baby Boomers who were never very active politically while they were raising their families. They put politics on the back burner while they attended to more pressing issues and let others determine the direction the country would follow.

But now that’s changed because their families are grown, their bills are paid, and are they are retiring.

So they have the numbers, time, and money to point this country in any direction they want. And I think they are going to do just that because they know that there’s not too much anyone can do about it.

To dust-off a phrase from the sixties, they are the Silent Majority (and they have decided to be silent no more).

Oh, and, by the way, the key word in that phrase is “majority.”

The Grassroots Movement, commonly referred to as the Tea Party, is the "silent majority" who trusted their career politicians to do what was best for the People and the Nation. They woke us up. We will no longer be silent.

We are now paying attention and will hold them accountable. The career politicians' agenda of reelection and growing political power, is not the people's agenda. We are actually studying the candidates to find those that, like our Founding Fathers, actually want to do what is best for the people and the nation. We WILL hold them accountable. If you thought 2010 was a landslide, wait for 2012.

The Anti-nuke power plant movement of 20 years ago was a grassroots movement. They had no leaders to "cut the head off of the snake" for the movement to die. They did not go away until their issue was successfully dealt with.
A grassroots movement has no leaders. They are a bottom up organization. Bottom up? Where have I heard that before? Oh Ya. That Constitution thing that gives those at the bottom all the power thru the vote.

The Tea Party has no leaders. Those that the media interviews to build ratings and sell ads are only Tea Party supporters like me. Why don't they interview me? Go figure.

The grassroots movement, commonly referred to as the Tea Party, made of of many likeminded groups such as Freedom Works, Tea Party Patriots, 9-12 Project, Campaign for Liberty, Tea Party Express, and many many more are all basically supporting lower taxes, less government and free markets. A return to the Constitution.

On the far left there is total government control as in a Dictatorship, or Communism called Tyranny. On the far right there is no government called Anarchy. Our Founding Fathers created the Constitution in the middli. Not too much government. Not too little. For the liberals to call a return to the constitution a far right movement just shows how far left they really are.

“When all government, domestic [states] and foreign [federal], shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated.”
Thomas Jefferson – 1821

Forum List

Back