About the Speech

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I thought the Inaugural Speech was one of the best in recent times. I think GW did a pretty good job on delivering it too, though a bit overrehersed, but very adequate.

What struck me is the classical philosophy behind it. Lots of Natural Rights Philosophy, a bit of 'state of nature'. Reminders of the values of the Roman Republic. It's been awhile. Such a great lesson in the midst of teaching Constitution philosophy.

Kathianne said:
I thought the Inaugural Speech was one of the best in recent times. I think GW did a pretty good job on delivering it too, though a bit overrehersed, but very adequate.

What struck me is the classical philosophy behind it. Lots of Natural Rights Philosophy, a bit of 'state of nature'. Reminders of the values of the Roman Republic. It's been awhile. Such a great lesson in the midst of teaching Constitution philosophy.

I liked his very overt, in my opinion, appeal to the PEOPLE of Iran, etc. to take a stand for freedom and his promise that if they do, the US will support them. It almost sounded like he was telling them, "hey, if you start a revolution, we've got your back".

This is the section of the speech I was referring to. It was a damn good speech overall!

Today, America speaks anew to the peoples of the world:

All who live in tyranny and hopelessness can know: the United States will not ignore your oppression, or excuse your oppressors. When you stand for your liberty, we will stand with you.

freeandfun1 said:
This is the section of the speech I was referring to. It was a damn good speech overall!
Excellent Free. We caught that too! Kids right away were, "Hey when necessary we'll have a revolution. Remember Ms D., Jefferson said that." for some reason they think revolutions are cool. Guess it's a 7th grade thing.

Kathianne said:
Excellent Free. We caught that too! Kids right away were, "Hey when necessary we'll have a revolution. Remember Ms D., Jefferson said that." for some reason they think revolutions are cool. Guess it's a 7th grade thing.

Well, apparently you are doing an excellent job teaching them and they realize that sometimes revolutions are just and required.

freeandfun1 said:
Well, apparently you are doing an excellent job teaching them and they realize that sometimes revolutions are just and required.
Actually, one of the high school advisors was at my school today for placement advisement. Wanted to know what I was doing different than other schools in the area. Seems for the past 3 years, all of my students have entered or been moved to 'honors' social studies, even when reading grades weren't qualified. LOL, I am a taskmaster! How many 7th graders have to read philosophy? Granted I have to help with the 'understanding' but they feel 'so in on a secret.' There parents don't know this stuff. :cool:

I haven't been able to listen to the speech yet,I was at work,but Dick Morris just said on O'Reilly that it was the best speech since JFK and one the top 5 or 6 best inaugural(sp?) speeches of all time.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

It was a great speech! All about freedom. Not only for America but for the entire world -
and with God (!) stated as our source of freedom:
From the day of our Founding, we have proclaimed that every man and woman on this earth has rights, and dignity, and matchless value, because they bear the image of the Maker of Heaven and earth.

Bush stated his general outline for future foreign policy and addressed the current Iraq situation all at once:
We are led, by events and common sense, to one conclusion: The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands. The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world.

I can guess how the liberal media will trash it tomorrow:
1) They will more than likely attack Bush for his references to God and
2) I'm sure they will see it also as another "neocon" plan to dominate the world.

-
It was a very brave speech. The two phrases that impressed me the most were: as he spoke of advancing freedom and democracy he said, "America's vital interests and our deepest beliefs are now one." And vowing to confront tryanny he said, "no one is fit to be a master, and no one deserves to be a slave."
-

I was up on the flight deck during the speech (time difference is a beyotch!) but I read a transcript and thought it was excellent. I've heard some who saw it say it wasn't that great because of Bush's style, Yea, he's not the greatest speaker, but the words matter more than the way they were said.

Historic speech... I think America has realized its destiny, once and for all.

All I can say to the Iranian people is "Whatcha waiting for?"

Hi NATO. Hope you and the Hawk are doing fine.

Some of the first editorial reactions to the President’s address seemed torn between admiration and apprehension. For example, the Los Angeles Times in an editorial entitled “No Country Left Behind” said this:

“His second inaugural address was that of a large man indeed, eloquently weaving the big themes of his presidency and his life into a coherent philosophy and a bold vision of how he wants this country to spend the next four years.

Every president talks about America's sacred mission of promoting freedom, and Thursday's speech was peppered with caveats. But from the speech itself and the official spin around it, we are clearly supposed to understand that Bush means something new and more ambitious. And even — or especially — Bush's critics have learned to respect his determination to do what he says he'll do, however much it may contradict the advice of those critics, or reality.

It's a lovely thought that freedom invariably saps the will to plant a car bomb. But is it true? When freedom and democracy came to the Balkans, people were liberated to do atrocious things to other people in the name of nationalist enthusiasms. In the Middle East, there is always danger that a "regime change" — by election, rebellion or invasion — will produce a theocracy rather than a democracy.”

If Bush really means it and by diplomacy or force of arms America will aggressively press freedom and democracy into the darkest corners of the world, then the next four years will be very interesting. There are countries, such as Iran and North Korea, that will call our bet on freedom and democracy. Will we press forward? Bush says yes. We will see.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-inaugural21jan21,1,4959224.story?coll=la-news-comment-editorials
-

I loved it---made a direct correlation between freedom and progress and showed faith in man that when he is free to act, he will usually do good. He tactfully yet firmly spoke of the importance of spirituality and a basic plan that freedom is stronger and more uniting than tyranny. An excellant vision for America to follow at home and abroad. I'll even christen it the "Bush doctrine" if I made be so bold. :usa:

Kathianne said:
Actually, one of the high school advisors was at my school today for placement advisement. Wanted to know what I was doing different than other schools in the area. Seems for the past 3 years, all of my students have entered or been moved to 'honors' social studies, even when reading grades weren't qualified. LOL, I am a taskmaster! How many 7th graders have to read philosophy? Granted I have to help with the 'understanding' but they feel 'so in on a secret.' There parents don't know this stuff. :cool:

Kathianne ,
Why are all the real teachers in Middle school ? You sound like someone that teaches because you love it and get a feeling of great accomplishment in the helping of others . I remember and treasure the few teachers like that in my past .Like being a cop it must be hard to keep a great attitude about what you are doing with the things you see everyday around you.But you must know how important you are to all of your students , the impressions you make have the power to change lives and last a lifetime.Thank you for what you do , you should be very proud .
I have had some awful teachers in the past(mostly college profs)so I tend to generalize in my posts but I am certainly not speaking of you or other true teachers , you have my utmost respect . :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

sitarro said:
Kathianne ,
Why are all the real teachers in Middle school ? You sound like someone that teaches because you love it and get a feeling of great accomplishment in the helping of others . I remember and treasure the few teachers like that in my past .Like being a cop it must be hard to keep a great attitude about what you are doing with the things you see everyday around you.But you must know how important you are to all of your students , the impressions you make have the power to change lives and last a lifetime.Thank you for what you do , you should be very proud .
I have had some awful teachers in the past(mostly college profs)so I tend to generalize in my posts but I am certainly not speaking of you or other true teachers , you have my utmost respect . :clap1: :clap1: :clap1:
Thank you. I really enjoy the age group, but seriously want to teach in high school. When I finish the master's would like to do some adjunct night classes.

Forum List

Back