About that.....

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
Some posters harp on individual responsibility, making good choices, being accountable for them and always obeying the law. All things that I’ve heard before. So let’s consider:

Individuals with wealth in our country made the choice to sell mortgages to individuals they knew did not qualify for them, bundled them all, sold them and made millions while American families (many of them minority), lost their homes.

Individuals with wealth in our country made the choice to close up their factories and make their products overseas, thus putting thousands of Americans out of work (including many minority folks in inner cities).

Individuals with wealth in our country made the choice to hire part-time workers in their retail stores at minimum wage, thus ensuring that they don’t have to pay holiday or vacation pay or provide health insurance, so that many Americans who work for them depend on food stamps and Medicaid for their survival.

Individuals with wealth in our country jump through tax loopholes and end paying less of a percentage than many working Americans who struggle to put food on their table.

Individuals with wealth in our country hide much of their money in off-shore accounts to avoid paying taxes while many Americans end up in debt to the IRS.

Individuals with wealth in our country can pay for private doctors and private rooms in prestigious hospitals, while many Americans can’t afford basic healthcare and often declare bankruptcy because of massive medical bills.

I think it’s easy to tell folks in desperate situations and difficult circumstances just what they should or should not do. (especially white folks telling black folks what they should or should not do.) But honestly, when folks at the bottom of the ladder are constantly stepped on by those moving up the ladder, I think it’s easy to see how folks just give up on life and give in to desperation and desperate acts. How are the ones up top held accountable? How are they punished for their crimes against decency and humanity? How many of them go to prison and for how long?

Many of our individual bad decisions affect us in a negative way, but many corporate decisions affect millions of lives in a negative way. How about we get on THEIR case?

Individuals with wealth in our country made the choice to sell mortgages to individuals they knew did not qualify for them, bundled them all, sold them and made millions

Lots of those mortgages were held by "individuals with wealth" as well as banks and mutual funds owned by "individuals with wealth" who lost billions of dollars on them.

Some posters harp on individual responsibility, making good choices, being accountable for them and always obeying the law. All things that I’ve heard before. So let’s consider:

Individuals with wealth in our country made the choice to sell mortgages to individuals they knew did not qualify for them, bundled them all, sold them and made millions while American families (many of them minority), lost their homes.

Individuals with wealth in our country made the choice to close up their factories and make their products overseas, thus putting thousands of Americans out of work (including many minority folks in inner cities).

Individuals with wealth in our country made the choice to hire part-time workers in their retail stores at minimum wage, thus ensuring that they don’t have to pay holiday or vacation pay or provide health insurance, so that many Americans who work for them depend on food stamps and Medicaid for their survival.

Individuals with wealth in our country jump through tax loopholes and end paying less of a percentage than many working Americans who struggle to put food on their table.

Individuals with wealth in our country hide much of their money in off-shore accounts to avoid paying taxes while many Americans end up in debt to the IRS.

Individuals with wealth in our country can pay for private doctors and private rooms in prestigious hospitals, while many Americans can’t afford basic healthcare and often declare bankruptcy because of massive medical bills.

I think it’s easy to tell folks in desperate situations and difficult circumstances just what they should or should not do. (especially white folks telling black folks what they should or should not do.) But honestly, when folks at the bottom of the ladder are constantly stepped on by those moving up the ladder, I think it’s easy to see how folks just give up on life and give in to desperation and desperate acts. How are the ones up top held accountable? How are they punished for their crimes against decency and humanity? How many of them go to prison and for how long?

Many of our individual bad decisions affect us in a negative way, but many corporate decisions affect millions of lives in a negative way. How about we get on THEIR case?

:boohoo:

:boohoo:

Yes I would probably "hit that". I am one ahead in case I miss your next post.

But honestly, when folks at the bottom of the ladder are constantly stepped on by those moving up the ladder, I think it’s easy to see how folks just give up on life and give in to desperation and desperate acts.

Do you have some for examples?

How are the ones up top held accountable? How are they punished for their crimes against decency and humanity? How many of them go to prison and for how long?

I'm going to need some actual laws that are broken. It's usually helpful when those same people aren't writing the law.

Any time your ready.

Here is a thought though.........do you mind if those folks that act out of desperation and break a law get to go to jail? Many of those crimes are against people that are also in precarious financial situations yet manage not to break laws out of desperation.

It's always astounded me that the same voices that howl the loudest about overreach by the considerable power that is the government (and legitimately so) -- suddenly do a complete 180 when the overreach comes from the considerable power that is Corporatia.

Screaming double standard.

Very interesting outlook. Folks at the bottom of the ladder are constantly "stepped on" by those moving up the ladder? So some folks formerly occupying those bottom rungs find a way to upward mobility through, perhaps, hard work, getting educated, showing initiative, entrepreneurship, maybe catching a break here or there or whatever are simply doing what anyone on those bottom rungs could do. But by doing so they're stepping on others who don't make efforts to better themselves? That's loony leftydom in a nutshell IMO.

Delores, there is no talking sense to these right wing loons. When you are stupid enough to believe that poor people want to be poor and are not trying to do better you have a fool. And there apparently no reasoning with fools. Look at these responses all of them but 1 by pogo are idiotic absolute denials of reality. If everyone could make it to the top, we'd all be at the top. That's impossible. There are going to be poor people, those who need help and it's not going tp be for lack of trying. So when you can tell me anyone who as a child dreamed of growing up poor and broke, let me know.

Delores, there is no talking sense to these right wing loons. When you are stupid enough to believe that poor people want to be poor and are not trying to do better you have a fool. And there apparently no reasoning with fools. Look at these responses all of them but 1 by pogo are idiotic absolute denials of reality. If everyone could make it to the top, we'd all be at the top. That's impossible. There are going to be poor people, those who need help and it's not going tp be for lack of trying. So when you can tell me anyone who as a child dreamed of growing up poor and broke, let me know.
Hi. Just posted this as a response elsewhere, but wanted to be sure you see it.
Good for you – you had a goal – but not everyone does – not everyone is encouraged to.Good for you – you had a dream you believed was achievable – some folks have given up on their dream because they see no possible way of making it a reality.Good for you – you saw a future for yourself – some folks do not – they see hopeless.

Some of us seem to think that since I did it, so can “they.” But not everyone can. If everyone had the same opportunities, drive, vision and helping hands that many have, I don’t think we would have any “less fortunates.”

Perhaps that’s the reason the ruling class keeps throwing boulders onto the road of life that many travel. Perhaps they have to keep a distance between them and everyone else. After all, if everyone rose up and made it, who would pick up their trash, babysit their children, cook their food, drive their cars or mow their lawns?

Would they enjoy the “good life” as much if everyone shared in it? Or is there something about the status and power that come with wealth that makes them feel superior? Makes them feel untouchable? Makes them feel justified in ever widening the gap between them and everyone else?

It’s really all about economic fairness or lack thereof. I believe racism is a major factor in the making and passing of laws that benefit those at the top of the ladder. I believe racism is at the core of a system that teaches and preaches that greed is good, capitalism is god, and understanding and compassion are bad.

Hi. Just posted this as a response elsewhere, but wanted to be sure you see it.
Good for you – you had a goal – but not everyone does – not everyone is encouraged to.Good for you – you had a dream you believed was achievable – some folks have given up on their dream because they see no possible way of making it a reality.Good for you – you saw a future for yourself – some folks do not – they see hopeless.

Some of us seem to think that since I did it, so can “they.” But not everyone can. If everyone had the same opportunities, drive, vision and helping hands that many have, I don’t think we would have any “less fortunates.”

Perhaps that’s the reason the ruling class keeps throwing boulders onto the road of life that many travel. Perhaps they have to keep a distance between them and everyone else. After all, if everyone rose up and made it, who would pick up their trash, babysit their children, cook their food, drive their cars or mow their lawns?

Would they enjoy the “good life” as much if everyone shared in it? Or is there something about the status and power that come with wealth that makes them feel superior? Makes them feel untouchable? Makes them feel justified in ever widening the gap between them and everyone else?

It’s really all about economic fairness or lack thereof. I believe racism is a major factor in the making and passing of laws that benefit those at the top of the ladder. I believe racism is at the core of a system that teaches and preaches that greed is good, capitalism is god, and understanding and compassion are bad.

You are 100 percent right.

Much respect Delores. Namaste.

But honestly, when folks at the bottom of the ladder are constantly stepped on by those moving up the ladder, I think it’s easy to see how folks just give up on life and give in to desperation and desperate acts.

The very fact that black people have had to fight for the right to vote means that they were considered low man on the totem pole whose opinions were not wanted, thus leaving them to be governed by those they had no say in electing. The saying goes that blacks are "last to be hired and first to be fired." Again low man on the totem pole.
How are the ones up top held accountable? How are they punished for their crimes against decency and humanity? How many of them go to prison and for how long?

I'm going to need some actual laws that are broken. It's usually helpful when those same people aren't writing the law.
Ah, that's the thing. Because laws are written with certain people in mind, things certain people do are not considered against the law. If a drug dealer gets caught selling drugs he goes to jail. If a pharmaceutical company sells drugs that cause death, they get taken to court and pay a large fine. I've heard DEA whistle blowers say that the drug companies know for a fact that some of the drugs they produce will cause people to die, but the DEA approves it because before any deaths actually happen, they will have already made their millions. Cigarettes, while legal, are known to cause cancer, which kills people. Yet, cigarette makers do not go to jail, because it happens slowly over time, not immediately. A less dramatic death, less able to be sensationalized by the media and condemned.
Any time your ready.
My church has just joined a group called POWER, a Philly organization which is fighting for economic justice, equal education and justice in the legal system.
Here is a thought though.........do you mind if those folks that act out of desperation and break a law get to go to jail? Many of those crimes are against people that are also in precarious financial situations yet manage not to break laws out of desperation.
Sometimes the folks that "act out of desperation" and break the law, are taken to prison immediately and kept there while awaiting trial because they can't afford bail. Then, when tried, they are often given longer sentences for similar crimes committed by folks in wealthy, white areas. That's what I mind. I remember when a young white couple killed their infant, they were sent home to await trial. I had a feeling that a black couple accused of doing the same thing would not have been sent home. And yes,crimes are often committed close to home and effect immediate neighbors. I've seen a pot of boiling water with a lid on it. It can eventually blow. That's why I believe more community services, drug rehabs and educational centers are needed, not more prisons. My husband just told me that someone has been checking stats for inner city schools to see how many drop-outs there are likely to be in the near future so they know how many private prisons to build. I think that's scary.

The very fact that black people have had to fight for the right to vote means that they were considered low man on the totem pole whose opinions were not wanted, thus leaving them to be governed by those they had no say in electing. The saying goes that blacks are "last to be hired and first to be fired." Again low man on the totem pole.

Ah, that's the thing. Because laws are written with certain people in mind, things certain people do are not considered against the law. If a drug dealer gets caught selling drugs he goes to jail. If a pharmaceutical company sells drugs that cause death, they get taken to court and pay a large fine. I've heard DEA whistle blowers say that the drug companies know for a fact that some of the drugs they produce will cause people to die, but the DEA approves it because before any deaths actually happen, they will have already made their millions. Cigarettes, while legal, are known to cause cancer, which kills people. Yet, cigarette makers do not go to jail, because it happens slowly over time, not immediately. A less dramatic death, less able to be sensationalized by the media and condemned.
Any time your ready.
My church has just joined a group called POWER, a Philly organization which is fighting for economic justice, equal education and justice in the legal system.
Sometimes the folks that "act out of desperation" and break the law, are taken to prison immediately and kept there while awaiting trial because they can't afford bail. Then, when tried, they are often given longer sentences for similar crimes committed by folks in wealthy, white areas. That's what I mind. I remember when a young white couple killed their infant, they were sent home to await trial. I had a feeling that a black couple accused of doing the same thing would not have been sent home. And yes,crimes are often committed close to home and effect immediate neighbors. I've seen a pot of boiling water with a lid on it. It can eventually blow. That's why I believe more community services, drug rehabs and educational centers are needed, not more prisons. My husband just told me that someone has been checking stats for inner city schools to see how many drop-outs there are likely to be in the near future so they know how many private prisons to build. I think that's scary.

What you say is needed is spot on. But a certain portion of white America who has not lived one one second black, never been close to anyone black or in real serious conversations with anyone black seem to think they have all the right answers,

Very interesting outlook. Folks at the bottom of the ladder are constantly "stepped on" by those moving up the ladder? So some folks formerly occupying those bottom rungs find a way to upward mobility through, perhaps, hard work, getting educated, showing initiative, entrepreneurship, maybe catching a break here or there or whatever are simply doing what anyone on those bottom rungs could do. But by doing so they're stepping on others who don't make efforts to better themselves? That's loony leftydom in a nutshell IMO.
I don't think it can honestly be said that folks make no effort at all to better themselves. I know many who have struggled tremendously, but it seems that they take one step up and one step back down. It also seems to me that sometimes they aren't even allowed near the ladder in the first place. I've heard of studies that show some employers explicitly denying interviews to folks whose names look "black" on the resume or who sound "black" on the phone.

I have a friend who was told by school counselors that her black son would not be put into the academic, college-bound class because it would be too hard for him - they would put him in the vocational class. His previous school records belied what they said, but they would not change their minds. - so she changed schools. (so many unnecessary hurdles)

As this thread demonstrates, our liberal contingent is spared the agony off having to make any decisions. No worries over responsibilities. No concern about breaking any law.

After all, The Democrat Party takes care of all that for them!

That's bizarre. People come here barely speaking the language and do well. They didn't whine about not having a fair shake, they worked hard and made progress. Your racism and victimhood keeps people like you down.

As this thread demonstrates, our liberal contingent is spared the agony off having to make any decisions. No worries over responsibilities. No concern about breaking any law.

After all, The Democrat Party takes care of all that for them!
I don't quite get why these discussions always bend toward political party affiliation. People are individuals with their own thoughts and ideas, not always aligned with the party line. Maybe it's just easy to blame the "other" party for everything. Sure wish we could get past that and just be people.

That's bizarre. People come here barely speaking the language and do well. They didn't whine about not having a fair shake, they worked hard and made progress. Your racism and victimhood keeps people like you down.
Yes, folks chose to come here barely speaking the language. Some folks were brought here against there will and had their language taken away from them. They worked hard all right, in rice and cotton fields, without pay and with daily terror. Long term psychological implications have to be considered. Not as an excuse, but as an explanation of what has been passed down through the generations. Others who came here willingly did not have to struggle with the same dynamics and fight to be even recognized as human beings, then fight for the right to live, then for the right to vote, then for the right to be considered equal.

Yes, folks chose to come here barely speaking the language. Some folks were brought here against there will and had their language taken away from them. They worked hard all right, in rice and cotton fields, without pay and with daily terror. Long term psychological implications have to be considered. Not as an excuse, but as an explanation of what has been passed down through the generations. Others who came here willingly did not have to struggle with the same dynamics and fight to be even recognized as human beings, then fight for the right to live, then for the right to vote, then for the right to be considered equal.
Slavery ended long ago. Many Chinese had it no better, maybe worse. The difference is they are very family and work oriented.

Slavery ended long ago. Many Chinese had it no better, maybe worse. The difference is they are very family and work oriented.
And many, many of the black folks I know are family and work oriented. It's just that the only ones who ever get noticed are the ones who fit into our stereotypes and "prove the case" against blacks as a people. We need to learn to stop throwing a whole race of people into one pot.

And many, many of the black folks I know are family and work oriented. It's just that the only ones who ever get noticed are the ones who fit into our stereotypes and "prove the case" against blacks as a people. We need to learn to stop throwing a whole race of people into one pot.
Yes, many blacks are family and work oriented, didn't mean to imply otherwise. They succeed where others fail. It ain't about skin, it's about ethics.

Forum List

Back