About that recent server shift....

I can link that Google-found page in a thread here (signed in) but if I then click on my own link I get the same thing --- "not logged in".

Not happening that way for me.. I'm free to cruise USMB from your link and still have my Mod stuff with me.. My guess is -- you MIGHT have Google opened in another "process".. And not just in an extra tab or page... If you're logged in -- you should be able to have 15 or 20 tabs or pages open and STILL be logged in to USMB when you click on link to us..

Try right-clicking on the USMB tab for which you're logged in and choose "duplicate" . Go to that new tab and do the Google thingy there. Are you on portable device? Mobile?

OH !!! Maybe you're going to Google in the same tab and your login here is "timing out" because you've left USMB !!!

Always open a new tab for other searches so you don't close down your connection to USMB.. When I'm doing mod stuff -- I've got 8 or 10 tabs open to search Bing or view thread links and to other USMB pages...

I can link that Google-found page in a thread here (signed in) but if I then click on my own link I get the same thing --- "not logged in".

Not happening that way for me.. I'm free to cruise USMB from your link and still have my Mod stuff with me.. My guess is -- you MIGHT have Google opened in another "process".. And not just in an extra tab or page... If you're logged in -- you should be able to have 15 or 20 tabs or pages open and STILL be logged in to USMB when you click on link to us..

I am. That's how it normally works, yes.

Try right-clicking on the USMB tab for which you're logged in and choose "duplicate" . Go to that new tab and do the Google thingy there. Are you on portable device? Mobile?

Never noticed "duplicate" before but I tried it and got the same page again, logged in per usual. So then I used that tab to open Google, did a search for an old thread, found a result, opened the page I was expecting, and got the same thing --- "not logged in". When I tried to log in it first didn't react, then it opened a page to "sign up" as if it doesn't know who I am.

This is on laptop.

Shall I conclude that my theory that these pages are still hosted on the old server but not the new one, is unfounded?

Never noticed "duplicate" before but I tried it and got the same page again, logged in per usual. So then I used that tab to open Google, did a search for an old thread, found a result, opened the page I was expecting, and got the same thing --- "not logged in". When I tried to log in it first didn't react, then it opened a page to "sign up" as if it doesn't know who I am.

This is on laptop.

Shall I conclude that my theory that these pages are still hosted on the old server but not the new one, is unfounded?

Nope.. The old server is probably in a box for sale on Ebay... It's something more fundamental going on in "the cockpit"....

This is on laptop.

Nope.. The old server is probably in a box for sale on Ebay... It's something more fundamental going on in "the cockpit"....

Point of clarification --- when you say "nope" does that mean "yup" --- my theory IS unfounded?

This is on laptop.

Point of clarification --- when you say "nope" does that mean "yup" --- my theory IS unfounded?

Nope to you seeing the ghost of the "old server".. To my knowledge, the only other server associated with USMB was (maybe still is) --- a back-up of USMB under the "old software" before we went to Xenforo....Probably no longer even on line, tho moderation used to use it for old mod notes and member info...

This is on laptop.

Nope to you seeing the ghost of the "old server".. To my knowledge, the only other server associated with USMB was (maybe still is) --- a back-up of USMB under the "old software" before we went to Xenforo....Probably no longer even on line, tho moderation used to use it for old mod notes and member info...

OK so I can dispense with that theory. Thought maybe I was seeing not the old software (I could that from what it looks like) but the most recent server from which this one was migrated and maybe looking at threads too old to have made the migration yet. Although they're not that old, maybe a year and a half in the ones I searched.

So I have no idea.

Maybe I'll try it from another computer.

This is on laptop.

OK so I can dispense with that theory. Thought maybe I was seeing not the old software (I could that from what it looks like) but the most recent server from which this one was migrated and maybe looking at threads too old to have made the migration yet. Although they're not that old, maybe a year and a half in the ones I searched.

So I have no idea.

Make sure the search is going in a DIFFERENT tab from the one you're using to view USMB while logged in..

This is on laptop.

So I have no idea.

Make sure the search is going in a DIFFERENT tab from the one you're using to view USMB while logged in..

Yeah it always has been. Usually I'm looking for the older page to get a link for the thread I'm on, so I don't want to dump the latter.

So I have no idea.

Yeah it always has been. Usually I'm looking for the older page to get a link for the thread I'm on, so I don't want to dump the latter.

Tabs are easier to switch between than whole pages.. But whatever works for you....

OK, so I went to the old laptop and tried it, and I got different results. After signing in to USMB in one tab I Googled through another tab to an older page and it came up with me signed in instead of out. It looks normal.

I'm going to have to conclude it's a browser issue.

Since the browser is Brave, I'm gonna have to call in the troops --- Ringel05

Or, anybody else with an idea. Brave is Chrome-based from what I understand.

OK, so I went to the old laptop and tried it, and I got different results. After signing in to USMB in one tab I Googled through another tab to an older page and it came up with me signed in instead of out. It looks normal.

That's normal.

That's normal.

It's normal for Brave to block access even when it's already got me already signed in on another tab and has a stored password?

That's normal.

It's normal for Brave to block access even when it's already got me already signed in on another tab and has a stored password?
Oh, I miss read it. Don't know, I only tried brave for a while (a while back) and really haven't used it since so I really have no idea.

Forum List

Back