About that recent server shift....

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
I recall recently, like a couple of weeks ago (?) that the site was down for a spell to shift to another server and while that was happening there was some history that hadn't yet been migrated. I wonder if that process is still going on or if there was a finite amount moved (say one year or whatever) and older stuff was not.

If I try to look up an older thread that I know exists I can find the thread via Google but it displays the thread without my account being online. If I try to sign in on that page, nothing happens, it doesn't sign in. All the pages of the long thread are there intact, it just won't sign me in. Am I seeing the old server when I do that?

Or is there some other reason I wouldn't be signed in on a thread I navigated to from outside the site?

One example is here. Again if I post this link it does go to the thread, but won't sign me in for it.
(Note this thread doesn't show up searching on the site's search box, but then hardly anything ever does)

If you are simply referring to the search function at the top, I haven’t had any problems recently.
If you are referring to older messages, I recently found if you click on your content, then the last page of content, scroll to bottom, click search for older messages (took a couple of times clicking it) they will show up. After they do, if that group isn’t old enough for you, then once again click last page of that group, and search for older messages again. Even older messages will then pop up.

If you are simply referring to the search function at the top, I haven’t had any problems recently.
If you are referring to older messages, I recently found if you click on your content, then the last page of content, scroll to bottom, click search for older messages (took a couple of times clicking it) they will show up. After they do, if that group isn’t old enough for you, then once again click last page of that group, and search for older messages again. Even older messages will then pop up.

That's looking for your own posts. And I remember you had the question at the time about the older posts not being there --- did they ever show up?

In this case I'm looking for a particular thread (not one I started) and I can find it, it does still exist, but when I do find it it shows up as not-signed-in and won't let me sign in. That's the question here.

The search function at the top is pretty much useless, but it always has been. When looking for a particular thread I know exists I always use Google, and it's always brought the thread up normally (signed in). Now it brings it up but not-signed-in.

I'm wondering --- this is just a theory --- whether what I'm looking at is the old thread on the old server and that's why I can't sign in. And if so, does the site have plans to bridge to that older material.

It's possible I could find the same thread by searching my own posts in that thread but it would take all day to keep clicking back that far.

ADDENDUM: It's near-impossible to search back far enough to see how far one's post history goes but the list of "threads I started" is much shorter so I just checked that out, and my list of threads I started terminates at July of 2014, so there's definitely older content missing there at the least.

Last edited:
Yes, search for ones own messages are now straightened out, from what I can tell.

Are you clicking titles only in your search? I had a similar situation happen when I did, but not having to sign in, it just didn’t pop up. By not clicking titles only and a word I could remember from the title as a general search and assigning a date range, it popped up.

Don’t have any idea why it is showing you must sign in, yet can’t for it. I haven’t encountered that.

Will be interesting to hear an answer here.

That's looking for your own posts. And I remember you had the question at the time about the older posts not being there --- did they ever show up?

In this case I'm looking for a particular thread (not one I started) and I can find it, it does still exist, but when I do find it it shows up as not-signed-in and won't let me sign in. That's the question here.

I'm wondering --- this is just a theory --- whether what I'm looking at is the old thread on the old server and that's why I can't sign in. And if so, does the site have plans to bridge to that older material.

It's possible I could find the same thread by searching my own posts in that thread but it would take all day to keep clicking back that far.

Last edited:
Now see what you did by responding upside down? Screwed up the whole quote.

I keep TELLING YOU... :death:

Yes I'm clicking "titles only". Just now I tried "titles only", words of the title AND the OP's name, with "search this forum only" unchecked, and it doesn't find the thread. But again I don't think that's significant because that search bar rarely finds anything. That's why I gave it up for Google years ago.

Nope. Not working. I already started a topic about his problem. Any posts made prior to the server switchover do not show up in a search.

I do not see a "search for older messages" either.

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

The forum search is seriously broken.

Strange, they are there for me. And search for older posts shows up on last page of search results, at the bottom for me.
Nope. Not working. I already started a topic about his problem. Any posts made prior to the server switchover do not show up in a search.

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Strange, they are there for me. And search for older posts shows up on last page of search results, at the bottom for me.

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Not for me.

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

When I search on the word "Obama" and my username, I get 120 results.

I can guarantee you I have mentioned Obama more than 120 times in the 83,000+ posts I have made on this forum.

Something is seriously broken.

I recall recently, like a couple of weeks ago (?) that the site was down for a spell to shift to another server and while that was happening there was some history that hadn't yet been migrated. I wonder if that process is still going on or if there was a finite amount moved (say one year or whatever) and older stuff was not.

If I try to look up an older thread that I know exists I can find the thread via Google but it displays the thread without my account being online. If I try to sign in on that page, nothing happens, it doesn't sign in. All the pages of the long thread are there intact, it just won't sign me in. Am I seeing the old server when I do that?

Or is there some other reason I wouldn't be signed in on a thread I navigated to from outside the site?

One example is here. Again if I post this link it does go to the thread, but won't sign me in for it.
(Note this thread doesn't show up searching on the site's search box, but then hardly anything ever does)
Get a life Pogs.

The search:

obama-search-1.jpg

The results:

obama-search-2.jpg

Ok, I should have been more specific, it is when I click on a persons name, click messages to pull up messages, not on general search.

D30D0441-1282-42BB-A2C2-FAEC081BFD45.png

Yes, the regular search function sucks.

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Not for me.

Nada. Zip. Zilch.

All well and good but this thread wasn't supposed to be about whether the site search function works. It's already well known that it doesn't. It's about why Google-searching a page finds the page but signed out.

And I notice that if I try to sign in ON that page, it doesn't take and it STILL tells me I'm not signed in. So the page I land on after a search is a dead end.

Normally I never ever sign out. There's just no reason to. My passwords are stored so even if I have to reopen a tab to get here it lands me on my Watched Threads page automatically. But on a searched page I can't even sign in manually.

Still no comment from the Administration.

flacaltenn

The mods are out right now, if you leave your name and number they will find a convenient time to ridicule you later.

Search indexing is ALWAYS in progress. We have ALL content going back to the founding.. Along with several mod and admin "libraries" and forums going back to when Gunny ruled USMB with a shotgun and a bottle of Jack. LOL...

I did hear that indexing was gonna be relegated to background activity and that it was gonna take awhile to get back to where we were. So be patient..

It hurts moderation as well.. My guess is -- the indexing had to start from scratch. And with 12 years of this crap being retained, you cannot eat of server cycles to make the indexing a priority..

As far as finding threads thru google -- that works OK... But you DON'T NEED to relog in.. If you did the Google in a separate tab -- you are ALREADY CRUISING the thread. I just did your link... Google to my knowledge is NOT hosting that thread --- USMB is.. Google is only taking you to that thread -- on our server...

Just make sure you're LOGGED into USMB before you Google anything..

Search indexing is ALWAYS in progress. We have ALL content going back to the founding.. Along with several mod and admin "libraries" and forums going back to when Gunny ruled USMB with a shotgun and a bottle of Jack. LOL...

I did hear that indexing was gonna be relegated to background activity and that it was gonna take awhile to get back to where we were. So be patient..

It hurts moderation as well.. My guess is -- the indexing had to start from scratch. And with 12 years of this crap being retained, you cannot eat of server cycles to make the indexing a priority..

As far as finding threads thru google -- that works OK... But you DON'T NEED to relog in.. If you did the Google in a separate tab -- you are ALREADY CRUISING the thread. I just did your link... Google to my knowledge is NOT hosting that thread --- USMB is.. Google is only taking you to that thread -- on our server...

Just make sure you're LOGGED into USMB before you Google anything..

Yes I'm already logged in here (in a different tab) when I Google a thread, and when Google finds it it presents me the right page but not logged in, and if I try TO log in from that page, it doesn't work. It was not my speculation that Google was hosting the page, it was rather that I was arriving at a page hosted on the old server, which would (?) explain why I couldn't log in to it.

I can link that Google-found page in a thread here (signed in) but if I then click on my own link I get the same thing --- "not logged in".

I also noticed, as did depotoo , that not all of my content exists if I search back for my own threads. Presumably that means they too (the older threads) are sitting on the old server and have yet to migrate.

Any of this make sense?

Forum List

Back