About Romney

Other than Romneycare, what are his biggest hurdles with conservatives?

He was once pro choice and appears to be a "flag in the wind" on the issues at times.

For me personally I don't care that he was once pro choice and I live under romneycare but would still vote for him.

I prefer newt or cain but would vote for romney.

now can a conservative mormon carry the south?

I think he'd lose Missouri, which McCain barely won. Folks in Missouri still remember Joseph Smith's whacky antics in the 1930 that got the govenor to sign an extermination order. (I know my mom did.)

I think he'd lose Arkansas, where they still love Mike Huckabee.

Anyone who 'loves' Huckabee is an idiot.

They had the same scare stories about Kennedy. Didn't work then, won't work now.

Romney isn't fit to carry Huckabee's shoes.

Okay, I've debunked the JFK thing before, I will not reduce it to simple enough for you.

1960- 50 million Catholics. 2012- only 6 million Mormons.

Oh, yeah, and Kennedy almost lost.

His flip flopping could be an issue....he sways like the best palm tree in a hurricane...for abortion rights, against abortion rights etc....

He is who you want him to be............... for the moment.

Except he hasn't really flipped flopped. He changed his position. Once. Flip flopping requires changing back and forth frequently depending on political reasons.

That was Kerry's problem in 2004. The man had a new position on the same subject every 10 minutes.

His flip flopping could be an issue....he sways like the best palm tree in a hurricane...for abortion rights, against abortion rights etc....

Except he hasn't really flipped flopped. He changed his position. Once. Flip flopping requires changing back and forth frequently depending on political reasons.

That was Kerry's problem in 2004. The man had a new position on the same subject every 10 minutes.

Yes! Romney is known by all as a man of conviction. You got him pegged.

Yes! Romney is known by all as a man of conviction. You got him pegged.

I really wish that, for once, you really read what I said and not make up bullcrap.

he's known to be a flip flopper avatar, and yes...on the Kerry level.... i just did a google on it and there is tons of stuff on it....

this from the ap:

During his Senate race against Edward M. Kennedy, Romney said that regardless of his own personal beliefs, "abortion should be safe and legal in this country." Running for governor, he said he personally opposed abortion but would "protect the right of a woman to choose under the law of the country and the laws of the commonwealth." Then as a presidential candidate, he described himself as "pro-life" and said the Supreme Court should overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade case that legalized abortion.

On gay rights, Romney wrote a letter during his Senate race promising a gay Republican group he would be a stronger advocate for gays and their rights than Kennedy. As a presidential candidate, he emphasized his opposition to gay marriage and civil unions. Today, he defends marriage between a man and a woman as "critical for the well-being of a civilization" and decries same-sex weddings.

In his first two campaigns, Romney emphasized his support of gun-control measures. In 1994, he said: "I don't line up with the NRA." But in the midst of his White House campaign he called himself "life-long hunter" and defender of Second Amendment rights to own guns. It wasn't long before it was disclosed that he had only recently become a card-carrying National Rifle Association member.

for more info: Romney rivals may go after him for flip-flops - Boston.com

Other than RomneyCare? That's like asking "Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?" RomneyCare essentially throws away the Republicans best argument against Obama.

But I'll play along.

1) Mormonism for the Evangelicals and at least one Conservative Atheist.

2) The fact he talks out of both sides of his mouth on gay rights, taxes, and abortion. (Frankly, I'm more pragmatic on these issues, but it shows his lack of integrity that he's just saying what he thinks to get elected.)

3) For Conservatives who aren't wealthy, the fact he made his fortune shipping jobs to China. Some would call that economic treason.

But it isn't just the idealogy or the sleazy executives or the whackadoodle religion.

Overall, it's the fact that he'd just be an awful candidate. He was an awful candidate in 2008. He was an awful candidate against Ted Kennedy in 1994. He barely won in 2002 against a non-entity, and was polling so badly in 2006 he didn't even bother running for re-election.

As I have often said, and Romney "cultists" like to avoid, is that the only way that the Republican wins is if he gets everyone who voted for McCain to vote for him and then peels away about five million people who voted for Obama last time.

I just don't see how Romney does that. Romney isn't fit to carry McCain's medal case. I know a lot of people who voted for McCain who won't vote for Romney. I don't know anyone who voted for Obama who will.

His race baiting of Hispanics may have given him a boost against Perry, but Hispanics are going to remember it next November, and he won't get the 39% of the Hispanic vote McCain got in 2008.

That's more of an issue with independents.

But all good points.

he's known to be a flip flopper avatar, and yes...on the Kerry level.... i just did a google on it and there is tons of stuff on it....

this from the ap:

During his Senate race against Edward M. Kennedy, Romney said that regardless of his own personal beliefs, "abortion should be safe and legal in this country." Running for governor, he said he personally opposed abortion but would "protect the right of a woman to choose under the law of the country and the laws of the commonwealth." Then as a presidential candidate, he described himself as "pro-life" and said the Supreme Court should overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade case that legalized abortion.

On gay rights, Romney wrote a letter during his Senate race promising a gay Republican group he would be a stronger advocate for gays and their rights than Kennedy. As a presidential candidate, he emphasized his opposition to gay marriage and civil unions. Today, he defends marriage between a man and a woman as "critical for the well-being of a civilization" and decries same-sex weddings.

In his first two campaigns, Romney emphasized his support of gun-control measures. In 1994, he said: "I don't line up with the NRA." But in the midst of his White House campaign he called himself "life-long hunter" and defender of Second Amendment rights to own guns. It wasn't long before it was disclosed that he had only recently become a card-carrying National Rifle Association member.

for more info: Romney rivals may go after him for flip-flops - Boston.com

I've seen Romney change his position, 3 times on the same issue in three days.

Was crazy.

New Topics

Forum List

Back