About closing dup threads

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
It would be helpful to readers if when a thread is closed as a consequence of an existing thread on the same topic that a link to the existing topic be included with the thread closure statement.

That is all. Thanks!

It would be helpful to readers if when a thread is closed as a consequence of an existing thread on the same topic that a link to the existing topic be included with the thread closure statement.

That is all. Thanks!

Or better yet, you can search for a duplicate thread first so we don't have to waste our time closing it or expecting us to do your work for you. Thanks

Or better yet, you can search for a duplicate thread first so we don't have to waste our time closing it or expecting us to do your work for you. Thanks

I wasn't referencing a thread I started. I'm competent to do my own work without your assistance.

Anyway. It was just a casual suggestion.

It's very political which threads get closed and which aren't.
Apparently you haven't started a thread that already had 3 or 4 other threads on the topic, or were worded such that your title and their title didn't jive, but the issue was the same. I have, and I learned to spend a little time trying to be sure no one has started a thread about the same subject. Win some lose some, but at least occasionally you realize there's already a thread ready for you to post your 2Cents worth. :)

Apparently you haven't started a thread that already had 3 or 4 other threads on the topic, or were worded such that your title and their title didn't jive, but the issue was the same. I have, and I learned to spend a little time trying to be sure no one has started a thread about the same subject. Win some lose some, but at least occasionally you realize there's already a thread ready for you to post your 2Cents worth. :)

That's precisely why I asked. I didn't know what key words to search for to find the thread that was the same as the one that was closed.

A lot of thread titles here you don't even know what the topic is until you actually clicked on it. Only to find out it was a dumb troll thread anyway. I actually stopped clicking on them if they're titled all weird and force you to guess at the content before clicking on it. A lot of times you get titles like 'A thing I thought about.' I'm generalizing, of course, but it happens all the time. I don't even click on those anymore.

Agreed on your latter thought, too. Still, though, content within sources themselves don't always share the same key words, or even the same perspectives which would normally cause them both to be returned in the results. It's more than just title searches.

Last edited:

I will try to check, but it gets hard in all the forums and headlines people will make up.

Normally If i see a duplicate thread of mine, i will just bump theirs ( i dont want them to feel bad, because most posters are not flamers)

That's precisely why I asked. I didn't know what key words to search for to find the thread that was the same as the one that was closed.

A lot of thread titles here you don't even know what the topic is until you actually clicked on it. Only to find out it was a dumb troll thread anyway. I actually stopped clicking on them if they're titled all weird and force you to guess at the content before clicking on it. A lot of times you get titles like 'A thing I thought about.' I'm generalizing, of course, but it happens all the time. I don't even click on those anymore.

Agreed on your latter thought, too. Still, though, content within sources themselves don't always share the same key words, or even the same perspectives which would normally cause them both to be returned in the results. It's more than just title searches.
Thanks! I'm getting a little worried about false narratives lately and try to avoid them. It's not as easy to find sources that are independent of each other but discussing similar issues or even the same ones. Tonight, I'm a little out of time to read news stories, so that will have to be tomorrow morning. I visited a new karaoke place this evening so didn't get to read. Some of the singers were really good. :thup: Top of the evening. /tipping hat

I will try to check, but it gets hard in all the forums and headlines people will make up.

Normally If i see a duplicate thread of mine, i will just bump theirs ( i dont want them to feel bad, because most posters are not flamers)
If each of us tried a little harder, we'd probably save the mods a couple of hours a day doing stuff we don't know about but that they can get tired of doing to much of the same mistakes people make. With the couple of hours, they might get to post their 2Cents worth too. :)

Thanks! I'm getting a little worried about false narratives lately and try to avoid them. It's not as easy to find sources that are independent of each other but discussing similar issues or even the same ones. Tonight, I'm a little out of time to read news stories, so that will have to be tomorrow morning. I visited a new karaoke place this evening so didn't get to read. Some of the singers were really good. :thup: Top of the evening. /tipping hat

Oh, you do karaoke? I used to do that. It's fun stuff.

Alright, then. Later. We don't wanna get off topic or anything. Think dtmb has a case of the Mondays.

If each of us tried a little harder, we'd probably save the mods a couple of hours a day doing stuff we don't know about but that they can get tired of doing to much of the same mistakes people make. With the couple of hours, they might get to post their 2Cents worth too. :)

I am normally on at night and try to help kat when I can.(she is the third shift girl)

You don't read much here do ya.......... :eusa_whistle:

:lol:

There was another thread closed because dup thread, after I mentioned about it here. So out of curiosity, particularly after dtmb's smart ass response, I did a copypasta of the exact thread title that was closed for being a dup and did a search. I even unchecked the little tick box for thread titles only. And wouldn't you know it? The only search result that came back was the dup thread was closed that I did the copypasta from. lol.

Anyway. Whatever. Like I said, it was just a suggestion. I don't care about it that much. They don't have to link the existing thread when they close dup threads if they don't want. If the bare minimum is good enough, then, the bare minimum is just gonna have to be good enough.

Last edited:

There was another thread closed because dup thread, after I mentioned about it here. So out of curiosity, particularly after dtmb's smart ass response, I did a copypasta of the exact thread title that was closed for being a dup and did a search. I even unchecked the little tick box for thread titles only. And wouldn't you know it? The only search result that came back was the dup thread was closed that I did the copypasta from. lol.

Anyway. Whatever. Like I said, it was just a suggestion. I don't care about it that much. They don't have to link the existing thread when they close dup threads if they don't want. If the bare minimum is good enough, then, the bare minimum is just gonna have to be good enough.
That wasn't a response to your post......... Just thought ya might like to know....... :eusa_whistle:

There’s so many crap threads on this board that closing duplicate threads is usually a bad idea. All these threads turn into orange man bad or Trump is a God anyway.

Why are threads merged if the other thread is in a different forum? Some of us only spend time in one forum and it is a pain in the ass to have to search other forums for closed threads.

There is no reason the same thread can't exist in two different forums.

Why are threads merged if the other thread is in a different forum? Some of us only spend time in one forum and it is a pain in the ass to have to search other forums for closed threads.

You don't have to search every forum. Just click on New Posts at the top. Or put a keyword in the search box in the upper right to find if one exists already

You don't have to search every forum. Just click on New Posts at the top. Or put a keyword in the search box in the upper right to find if one exists already
Why move them at all?

If it was that easy and reliable to search for duplicate threads, then there probably wouldn't be so many of them.

I don't start many threads, but it often happens that I am trying to find some thread I previously saw, on a particular topic, and I often find it more difficult than it ought to be.

I do seem to be particularly good at spotting duplicate threads after they exist.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back