About 900 U S Military Bases In The World

More than likely no more than 600 of them overseas. The second world war has been over for 66 years but we have hundreds of bases in Germany and Japan.

The war in Korea has been over for 58 years but we have 75,000 troops there.

WE should get our asses out of the middle eastern oil countries where we have maintained a presence all of my life...'course I'm just 77.

How would you feel if there were foreign troops in Texas and California? Probably like blowing something up.

I do believe they've spotted Mexican troops in both Texas and California.. ooops...

Yep. They have permission from the Obama admin to stage to fight the drug cartels, overflight permission as well.

More than likely no more than 600 of them overseas. The second world war has been over for 66 years but we have hundreds of bases in Germany and Japan.

WE should get our asses out of the middle eastern oil countries where we have maintained a presence all of my life...'course I'm just 77.

How would you feel if there were foreign troops in Texas and California? Probably like blowing something up.

I don't believe these numbers. What qualifies as a base? There are only a couple of actual bases in Japan for instance, a few more in Okinawa, and each base has "camps" and detachments. I suspect that every small command or detachment is being listed as a base.

Follow THIS link to see the Bases listed for Japan for instance.

The Worldwide Network of US Military Bases

II. More than 1000 US Bases and/or Military Installations

The main sources of information on these military installations (e.g. C. Johnson, the NATO Watch Committee, the International Network for the Abolition of Foreign Military Bases) reveal that the US operates and/or controls between 700 and 800 military bases Worldwide.

In this regard, Hugh d’Andrade and Bob Wing's 2002 Map 1 entitled "U.S. Military Troops and Bases around the World, The Cost of 'Permanent War'", confirms the presence of US military personnel in 156 countries.

The US Military has bases in 63 countries. Brand new military bases have been built since September 11, 2001 in seven countries.

In total, there are 255,065 US military personnel deployed Worldwide.

These facilities include a total of 845,441 different buildings and equipments. The underlying land surface is of the order of 30 million acres. According to Gelman, who examined 2005 official Pentagon data, the US is thought to own a total of 737 bases in foreign lands. Adding to the bases inside U.S. territory, the total land area occupied by US military bases domestically within the US and internationally is of the order of 2,202,735 hectares, which makes the Pentagon one of the largest landowners worldwide (Gelman, J., 2007).

As long as the USA wants to play Superpower it has to have bases around the world.
Germany and Japan are not good examples. Both are economical giants and provide "security" and planning reliability to US's logistical operations. Germany is also host to other facilities like hospitals and ground-stations for Satellites.
The US facilities there don't add any kind of security to the host nation, Germany and Japan are capable to provide their own security.

To decrease costs, the USA should "re-deploy" to countries in the stature of Germany.
The US facilities in the Gulf Countries for example are not secure. What has an adversary to fear by attacking e.g. Bahrain? Nothing.
If US facilities in Germany are being attacked, it will drag automatically Germany into a hypothetical war.

I don't believe these numbers. What qualifies as a base? There are only a couple of actual bases in Japan for instance, a few more in Okinawa, and each base has "camps" and detachments. I suspect that every small command or detachment is being listed as a base.

Follow THIS link to see the Bases listed for Japan for instance.

The Worldwide Network of US Military Bases

II. More than 1000 US Bases and/or Military Installations

The main sources of information on these military installations (e.g. C. Johnson, the NATO Watch Committee, the International Network for the Abolition of Foreign Military Bases) reveal that the US operates and/or controls between 700 and 800 military bases Worldwide.

In this regard, Hugh d’Andrade and Bob Wing's 2002 Map 1 entitled "U.S. Military Troops and Bases around the World, The Cost of 'Permanent War'", confirms the presence of US military personnel in 156 countries.

The US Military has bases in 63 countries. Brand new military bases have been built since September 11, 2001 in seven countries.

In total, there are 255,065 US military personnel deployed Worldwide.

These facilities include a total of 845,441 different buildings ... <SNIP>
So that we can get a feel for the philosophy/ideology of the basis for your information;from your link:
The 2000 Global Report published in 1980 had outlined "the State of the World" by focussing on*so-called* "level of threats" which might negatively influence or undermine US interests.

Twenty years later,*US strategists, in an attempt to justify*their military interventions in different parts of the World, have conceptualised the greatest fraud in US history, namely "the Global War on Terrorism" (GWOT). The latter, using a fabricated pretext *constitutes a global war against all those who oppose US hegemony. A modern form of slavery, instrumented through militarization and the "free market" has unfolded.*
Major elements of the conquest and world domination strategy by the US refer to:*

1) the control of the world economy and its financial markets,

2) the taking over of all natural resources (primary resources and nonrenewable sources of energy). The latter constitute the cornerstone of US power through the activities of its multinational corporations.

Geopolitical Outreach: Network of Military Bases

The US has established its control over 191 governments which are members of the United Nations.*The conquest,*occupation and/or otherwise supervision of these various regions of the World is supported by*an integrated network of military bases and installations which covers the entire Planet (Continents, Oceans and Outer Space). All this pertains to the workings of* an extensive Empire,*the exact dimensions of which are not always easy to ascertain.

Last edited:
Either they pay us to stay and "protect" them or we get the hell out. We shouldn't be paying them for us protecting them. That's just stupid. It's an old and outdated foreign policy. So they either pay up or we bring em all home.

If America withdrew from world leadership there would be a massive world war within 20 years, many millions of deaths including in America, and a world economy in shambles except for commerce in weaponry.

Last edited:
Oh Boo Fucking Hoo.

I am so sick and tired of you assholes bitching about our military.

It's too big, we're in too many countries, we have too many bases.

Fuck you and go learn the second language of your choice. You will need it.

Facts are that the military presence in Europe has been cut by over 50% since the 1980's. There is not one US military base left that I was stationed at in Europe and i served 14 years based over there.

The US Military is smaller than it has been since the Korean cease fire started.

Can we and should we close more of our bases overseas? Yes and we are, but when you listen to all these crybabies it seems they just want us to rely on the Boys scouts instead of our military.

I tell you to just STFU and go thank a veteran.

No excuse for being so damn ignorant at your age.

Either they pay us to stay and "protect" them or we get the hell out. We shouldn't be paying them for us protecting them. That's just stupid. It's an old and outdated foreign policy. So they either pay up or we bring em all home.

I agree but this is why Paul will never win the republican nomination.

If America withdrew from world leadership there would be a massive world war within 20 years, many millions of deaths including in America, and a world economy in shambles except for commerce in weaponry.

So you think its the responsability of the American tax payer to ensure that one country doesnt invade another, and also to maintain by force this economic model?

So you think its the responsability of the American tax payer to ensure that one country doesnt invade another, and also to maintain by force this economic model?

I bet you think its the responsability of our youth to fight and die for this ideology aswell.

I bet you think its the responsability of our youth to fight and die for this ideology aswell.

Pay now or pay later. It's American military strength and leadership that separates us from the kind of world that saw a hundred million dead between 1914 and 1945. We invested in world peace through strength. You (from the sound of you) would never volunteer to risk your life for a higher cause but millions have and still willingly do.

There are those who claim those who risked all for their ideals were merely pawns to corporatism or other dark forces, but those who served helped win those wars of the last century and the cold war which lasted 50 years. If we weren't in the contest the world would've lacked a viable force for freedom both political and economic.

Our freedom on both these realms as well as the rest of the world has depended on us doing what you would've foregone. We did all that and still are, irrespective of our growing spending habits taking us to near bankruptcy (while military spending has shrunk as a percent of GDP), the wealthiest, most creative, most productive country, and that, in great part is due to our willingness to accede to world leadership which sustained a world in which these vital freedoms could thrive.

Why us? Because no other country could post WWI, WWII, and Korea.

Last edited:
Well Japan can't have a military even though in the last 20 yrs or so they have taken steps towards building one... Not sure why we have a lot in Germany though

So we should just sell our military to the highest bidder?

Forum List

Back