Abortions At Low Since 1976

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Notice the dancing around for reasons?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/16/AR2008011603624.html

Abortions Hit Lowest Number Since 1976

By Rob Stein
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 17, 2008; Page A01

The number of abortions performed in the United States dropped to 1.2 million in 2005 -- the lowest level since 1976, according to a new report.

The number of abortions fell at least in part because the proportion of women ending their pregnancies with an abortion dropped 9 percent between 2000 and 2005, hitting the lowest level since 1975, according to a nationwide survey.

At the same time, the long decline in the number of abortion providers appears to be stabilizing, partly a result of the availability of the French abortion pill RU-486, the report found, because some physicians who do not perform surgical abortions provide it to their patients.

The report did not identify reasons for the drop in abortions, but the researchers said it could be caused by a combination of factors....

What's the increase in teenage pregnancies?

From your link:

"It could be more women using contraception and not having as many unintended pregnancies. It could be more restrictions on abortions making it more difficult for women to obtain abortion services. It could be a combination of these and other dynamics," said Rachel K. Jones of the Guttmacher Institute, a reproductive-health research organization, which published the report in the March issue of the journal Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health.

So, while it's good that abortion numbers are down... I think if teenage pregnancies and the like are up, not such a good thing.

What's the increase in teenage pregnancies?

From your link:

So, while it's good that abortion numbers are down... I think if teenage pregnancies and the like are up, not such a good thing.

No, the overall trend for teen pregnancies is firmly downward. Last year there was a slight uptick, but not great enough to be seriously significant. Here's a link to data from 1990 to 2002.

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/2006/09/12/USTPstats.pdf

One of those factors cited in the Boston Globe was the availablility of abortion clinics and doctors. Several states have clamped down on abortion rights.

But that does not mean less abortions are happening. It means less are happening in clinical settings. We all know that if abortion was criminalized it would drive those who seek abortions into back-alley clinics or worse.

You wish.

There has not been a huge upswing in illegal/unsafe abortions.

The reason there are fewer abortions is because we have by and large stopped promoting them, and started promoting things like abstinence and adoption, and birth control by both parties.

But mostly abstinence. Sad but true. Values are making a comeback.

yea, so is teen pregnancy.

:thup: :thup:

just say the word and I'll psot at least 5 sources that show what a failure abstinance programs have been and the rise of teen prgnancy.

Summary of Results
Evaluation of these 11 programs showed few short-term benefits and no lasting, positive impact. A few programs showed mild success at improving attitudes and intentions to abstain. No program was able to demonstrate a positive impact on sexual behavior over time. A description follows of short- and long-term impacts, by indicator.

*snip*

Conclusion
Abstinence-only programs show little evidence of sustained (long-term) impact on attitudes and intentions. Worse, they show some negative impacts on youth's willingness to use contraception, including condoms, to prevent negative sexual health outcomes related to sexual intercourse. Importantly, only in one state did any program demonstrate short-term success in delaying the initiation of sex; none of these programs demonstrates evidence of long-term success in delaying sexual initiation among youth exposed to the programs or any evidence of success in reducing other sexual risk-taking behaviors among participants.

http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/publications/stateevaluations/index.htm

Was somebody proposing abstinence only?

Didn't think so, moron. Try actually reading what's written, instead of instilling your own bias into everything.

I keep telling you allie-baby, just cause you say the same thing over and over doesn't mean anyone over here believes it. Just makes you look even more ignorant than you are.

But keep going.... it's fun to watch you make a fool out of yourself. I think I'll go make popcorn and enjoy the show.

You wish.

There has not been a huge upswing in illegal/unsafe abortions.

The reason there are fewer abortions is because we have by and large stopped promoting them, and started promoting things like abstinence and adoption, and birth control by both parties.

But mostly abstinence. Sad but true. Values are making a comeback.

According to whom?

Kids today realize what the Great minds of the usmb still wont admit ...

ABORTION IS MURDER... you were wrong ... oh well only a couple million dead children thanks to your ignorance...

Kids today realize what the Great minds of the usmb still wont admit ...

ABORTION IS MURDER... you were wrong ... oh well only a couple million dead children thanks to your ignorance...

And how do you feel about war, detainees, the suspension of Habeas Corpus, torture, collateral damage, mercenary armies, war profiteers, and executions?

There was an investigator on cspan a while ago who suggested the reason crime and abortion were down was because of RoevWade. The point being the problem was not able to replicate itself. I wonder what an evolutionary biologist (eb) would say about this, I have been reading Trivers', 'natural selection and social theory.' Also interesting is when a certain level of affluence is reached people have less children because their investment tends to rise, another aspect of EB. We sometimes think it is values or some other piece that changes but maybe we are looking or hoping, for the wrong reasons.

There was an investigator on cspan a while ago who suggested the reason crime and abortion were down was because of RoevWade. The point being the problem was not able to replicate itself. I wonder what an evolutionary biologist (eb) would say about this, I have been reading Trivers', 'natural selection and social theory.' Also interesting is when a certain level of affluence is reached people have less children because their investment tends to rise, another aspect of EB. We sometimes think it is values or some other piece that changes but maybe we are looking or hoping, for the wrong reasons.

I didn't see the cspan thing, but there is a chapter about that (the relationship between Roe vs Wade and decreased crime) in a book called Freakonomics, which I suspect may be where the investigator on cspan got the idea from.

The thrust of the argument is that since the mid 70's, many children who would have been born into difficult circimstances (single parents, underprivileged, poorly educated, etc) have not been born. The outcome is that 18 or so years later, these children (now in their late teens) would have been coming into their criminal prime. However, as they were not born in the first place...the crime rates came down.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-Revised-Expanded-Economist-Everything/dp/0061234001/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200767908&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-Revised-Expanded-Economist-Everything/dp/0061234001/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200767908&sr=8-1[/ame]

Abortion to me is a gruesome act, but it's hard to get around the fact that many abortions are sought by low-income folks from whom much crime springs. Maybe there is a connection. But as you note, there's an effect on the higher end, too, with "rich girl" abortions happening.

Be careful of wading too far into Trivers' work. You could end up a racist like me!

Abortion to me is a gruesome act, but it's hard to get around the fact that many abortions are sought by low-income folks from whom much crime springs. Maybe there is a connection. But as you note, there's an effect on the higher end, too, with "rich girl" abortions happening.

Be careful of wading too far into Trivers' work. You could end up a racist like me!

What a load of garbage...

You're losing your focus, Haw Haw, you used to at least try to appear sourced and intelligent.

Forum List

Back