Abortion

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by -Cp, Oct 2, 2004.

1. -Cp

-Cp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +363
    Can some lib out there please, give me ONE good reason to be "Pro Abortion"? Just one?

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    There is a good reason now?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There are no good reasons to be "pro-abortion", in fact I don't think you will find such a person anywhere.

There are good reasons to be "pro-choice" however, given many aspects of our culture and society.

Wade.

4. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    With limitations, though !

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Lets hear em, Wade

6. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I do want to make it know though, that I am pro-life and do not believe in abortion.

7. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    That sounds like spin to me. Abortion is abortion. It is too serious to be thrown into the choice category. When our culture and society was more moral,abortion was illegal.

8. wade

wade Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    When our society was "more moral", the rich girls got abortions from doctors in hospitals, the poor girls got back alley abortions. I do not in any way favor abortion, but I do think that it should not be something that is available to those with money, but denied those without.

I had a next door neighbor who was a nurse and volunteered about 6 weeks a year to go down to S. America and work in hospitals trying to save the victims of back alley abortions. She said that in 6 weeks she'd see over 1000 such victims, and that many would die. It used to be this way in the USA too, when our country was "more moral".

The fact is that women are going to get pregnant and seek abortions, the question is how do we as a society deal with this? Whatever choice we make, it has to be fair and universal - it cannot make exceptions for the rich.

I'm pro-choice because the pro-life people won't even consider compromise. I think what we should do is institute a policy which reduces the rights to abortion over time. Something along the lines of, except where the mother's life is at risk, no abortions after 14 weeks right now, reduced to 12 weeks in 3 years, reduced to 10 weeks in 3 more years, reduced to 8 weeks in 4 more years, and eventually only the "morning after pill" would be allowed without special circumstances. But these standards have to be universally applied - they cannot allow the rich to work around them in any way - and that includes going to another country to have an abortion.

I also think abortion should be available for cases of rape, and in cases where there is a significant genetic defect, especially one which will result in the childs death at an early age. In any case where an abortion is denied, all medical expenses and special care expenses for the child should be covered by the government - i.e. if you make a family have a serverly retarded child against their wishes you should have to foot the bill.

Furthermore, if the state is not going to allow abortions the state needs to step up and provide for unwanted children much better than it does today.

To me the solution to the whole thing is simple. At about age 13 or 14, every male in the country should recieve a vascetomy, probably through installation of some kind of electronically controlled valve. If you want to have a kid, you go and have the valve opened. It would be a serious crime for a man to have sex with a woman without telling her his valve was open. Walla - no unwanted pregancies - problem solved!

Wade.

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Well I'm no liberal.....But...Michael Moore comes to mind.

10. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

Wade,you do seem more open minded on the subject than I thought,but I have to say I am not very open minded on this subject and am not ashamed of that.

First,the women that have back alley abortions do it to themselves. How many options are there in this country to help one not get pregnant? I am a mother of 2 and have a lot of trouble feeling sorry for a woman that hurt herself because she tried to have a back alley abortion done on her child and hurt herself. This is unthinkable to me. For me,it's an issue of personal responsibility for a woman AND a man. Even for woman that have no man in their life,can make it. I know a few woman that have made it on their own with no help from the children's fathers.

Abortion is allowed for woman that may have a child with a defect. When I was pregnant,they asked me if I wanted some kind of test to see if their could be these kinds of things wrong with our child and I did not get it. It didn't matter because I would not have had an abortion anyway. I understand this is a tough subject,but for me it's not an option. I also do not think that what a woman goes through after an abortion is taken into consideration. What if she regrets it? Too late. Nothing she can do. What about all the years she will spend wondering what sex the child was,what he or she may have looked like,and could she have made it?

Partial birth abortion is just flat out disgusting and there is no reason for that at all. If you can pull the child out of the mothers body to save her life,then why do you have to kill the baby half way out? Hoe does that save the mothers life? The baby is coming out and sucking it's brains out is NOT saving anyone.

As far as your 14 year olds getting valves put in,that sounds a little over the top for me-lol!!! I don't think you will get much backing on that one!!!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1