Abortion - What's YOUR stand?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by horaciocs, Jun 4, 2008.

1. horaciocs

horaciocs BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm from Brazil, and here abortion is ILLEGAL. It's a crime to commit one yourself or even for a physician to do so, unless in extreme situations, such as rapes.

What do US laws say about that? And what are your opinions?

2. MsWikia

MsWikia Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am against it for religious reasons. However, I understand it ONLY if the case is rape. I also do not think it should be a govt issue, if people want to do it, let them do it, they have to live with their decision later.

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    is there any room for a compromise??

Say, a GREAT compromise even?

4. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,351
    I believe the unborn to be the earliest stage of human life, and for me there is no justification to destroy it because it is a hardship or inconvenience. I do see circumstances where the fetus is horribly malformed with no chance for anything but a short, tortured or miserable life and/or the life of the mother is in jeopardy, that an abortion might be the best choice, and I do think that should always be a legal option.

I am therefore pro life in all respects, but I do not want my government telling me that I have to be, nor do I want my government telling any community that it must accept abortion on demand when the values of the community recoil against that.

5. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Cool, I'll make the same argument about murder. Or, rape. Or, terrorist bombings. Don't punish me, I'll punish myself later. :wtf:

Seriously though...

I agree with abortion only in the cases of a person who has been raped, or if the fetus is threatening the life of the mother. The argument that everything is in the hands of God and the mother should carry the baby until birth, even if the mother might die, because it would give the child life, is a bunch of garbage, in my opinion. It's horrible that a person would have to choose between their life and the life of their child, but telling someone they HAVE to choose the life of the child is none of anyone's business but the mother's.

6. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I believe it is a decision best left to those it concerns.

7. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,351
    This however involves a fundamental philosophy of when life begins. Should the decision be made at any stage? Right now it is legal to kill a baby, using the most savage and brutal methods, minutes or seconds before it is born. But it is illegal to kill it minutes or seconds after it is born. What kind of logic is that? What kind of logic is a state law making it a double murder to kill a pregnant woman but she can kill her unborn child at will?

If the matter must be legislated, I do believe the original intent of Roe V Wade is probably the best national policy: abortion in the first trimester should be between the mother and doctor and the state should stay out of it. The state has increasing interest in the second trimester--perhaps justification and/or a court order should be required except in cases of extreme emergency. The state has a great deal of interest in the third trimester when the baby is viable and one would need a hugely compelling reason and argument to justify killing it.

Of course all of that is out the window as various liberal courts have rewritten the criteria laid out in Roe v Wade and the unborn child is deemed to have no right to life of any kind.

8. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    I agree with you, when I said it was a matter for those it concerned I should have added within legal confines.

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    And what groups think that a woman should carry a baby until birth, even though she's guaranteed to die if she does?

10. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    There's a small number of people (read: religious zealots) who argue that it is all in the hands of God and that there is no reason for there to ever be any abortion.