Abortion Battle Could Derail Health Care Bill

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Carrie Budoff Brown published an article in Politico on Friday concerning the battle over abortion which ultimately could be the undoing of the bill in the Senate if neither side is willing to give. If the health care bill gets killed I will be pleased regardless of the reason why. More so, I am supportive of the effort to keep abortion funding out of the bill because I do not feel that elective procedures should be covered under a public health care plan.

In the same respect however, I am also disturbed that abortion is the issue that might be the bill's downfall. Opposition over this legislation shouldn't be based on tenants of cultural conservatism, but rather an argument of preserving freedom for the American people. It bothers me that the Republicans and some Democrats fighting some or all of this bill are doing so on reasons other than the tyrannical mandate that would put every American behind bars if he cannot afford or simply chooses not to purchase health insurance. There are many other problems with the bill and it's all fair game, but the mandate should be out there front and center. Every American needs to understand the consequences of allowing the government to get away with using authority that they neither legally nor Constitutionally possess. It takes us down a dark road that will embolden politicians to become further intrusive in our day to day lives, an encroachment on the freedoms the original settlers of our nation came here to escape.

Forum List

Back