Abortion And The Day Donald Trump Ran Away From Honesty As If His Hair Were On Fire

Discussion in 'USMB Breaking News' started by Martin Eden Mercury, Apr 9, 2016.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,339
    it doesn't take bravery to spout bigotry for people.

and it doesn't take bravery for a carnival barker to suddenly be anti-choice when he wanted his own girlfriend to have an abortion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,339
    no one is talking about late term abortion (although it's done to save women's lives or have her avoid giving birth to a severely damaged child)

but thanks for playing.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Martin Eden Mercury

Martin Eden Mercury VIP Member Op-ed Contributor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    TRUMP WAS ASKED WHAT HE THOUGHT THE LAW ON ABORTION SHOULD BE

Really? Chris Matthews set Trump up?
    Play the tape (transcript):

During the town meeting, a young woman from the audience asked Trump a question.

QUESTION: Hello. I am (inaudible) and have a question on, what is your stance on women's rights and their rights to choose in their own reproductive health?

TRUMP: OK, well look, I mean, as you know, I'm pro-life. Right, I think you know that, and I -- with exceptions, with the three exceptions. But pretty much, that's my stance. Is that OK? You understand?

MATTHEWS: What should the law be on abortion?

TRUMP: Well, I have been pro-life.

MATTHEWS: I know, what should the law -- I know your principle, that's a good value. But what should be the law?

---- TRUMP starts jabbering about Judges, Scalia, the Court -----

MATTHEWS: I know. I never understood the pro-life position.

TRUMP: Well, a lot of people do understand.

MATTHEWS: I never understood it. Because I understand the principle, it's human life as people see it.

TRUMP: Which it is.

MATTHEWS: But what crime is it?

TRUMP: Well, it's human life.

MATTHEWS: No, should the woman be punished for having an abortion?

TRUMP: Look...

MATTHEWS: This is not something you can dodge.

TRUMP: It's a -- no, no...

MATTHEWS: If you say abortion is a crime or abortion is murder, you have to deal with it under law. Should abortion be punished?

TRUMP: Well, people in certain parts of the Republican Party and Conservative Republicans would say, "yes, they should be punished."

MATTHEWS: How about you?

TRUMP: I would say that it's a very serious problem. And it's a problem that we have to decide on. It's very hard.

MATTHEWS: But you're for banning it?

TRUMP: I'm going to say -- well, wait. Are you going to say, put them in jail? Are you -- is that the (inaudible) you're talking about?

MATTHEWS: Well, no, I'm asking you because you say you want to ban it. What does that mean?

TRUMP: I would -- I am against -- I am pro-life, yes.

MATTHEWS: What is ban -- how do you ban abortion? How do you actually do it?

TRUMP: Well, you know, you will go back to a position like they had where people will perhaps go to illegal places.

MATTHEWS: Yes?

TRUMP: But you have to ban it.

---- TRUMP starts asking the interviewer about his own religious faith -----

MATTHEWS: Do you believe in punishment for abortion, yes or no as a principle?

TRUMP: The answer is that there has to be some form of punishment.

MATTHEWS: For the woman?

TRUMP: Yes, there has to be some form.

MATTHEWS: Ten cents? Ten years? What?

TRUMP: Let me just tell you -- I don't know. That I don't know. That I don't know.

MATTHEWS: Why not?

TRUMP: I don't know.

MATTHEWS: You take positions on everything else.

TRUMP: Because I don't want to -- I frankly, I do take positions on everything else. It's a very complicated position.

MATTHEWS: But you say, one, that you're pro-life meaning that you want to ban it.

------ Trump again goes to question the religious faith of Matthews ----

TRUMP: No, no, I am talking about your religion. Your religion -- I mean, you say that you're a very good Catholic. Your religion is your life. Let me ask you this...

MATTHEWS: And secondly, I'm asking -- you're running for President.

TRUMP: No, no...

MATTHEWS: I'm not.

TRUMP: Chris -- Chris.

MATTHEWS: I'm asking you, what should a woman face if she chooses to have an abortion?

TRUMP: I'm not going to do that.

TRUMP: I'm not going to play that game.

MATTHEWS: Game?

TRUMP: You have...

MATTHEWS: You said you're pro-life.

TRUMP: I am pro-life.

MATTHEWS: That means banning abortion.

----- TRUMP: again goes after Matthews religious faith -----

MATTHEWS: I'm asking you. You want to be president of the United States.

TRUMP: You told me that...

MATTHEWS: You tell me what the law should be.

TRUMP: I have -- I have not determined...

MATTHEWS: Just tell me what the law should be. You say you're pro-life.

TRUMP: I am pro-life.

MATTHEWS: What does that mean?

TRUMP: With exceptions. I am pro-life.

I have not determined what the punishment would be.

TRUMP: Because I haven't determined it.

MATTHEWS: When you decide to be pro-life, you should have thought of it. Because...

TRUMP: No, you could ask anybody who is pro-life...

MATTHEWS: OK, here's the problem -- here's my problem with this, if you don't have a punishment for abortion -- I don't believe in it, of course -- people are going to find a way to have an abortion.

TRUMP: You don't believe in what?

MATTHEWS: I don't believe in punishing anybody for having an abortion.

TRUMP: OK, fine. OK, (inaudible).

MATTHEWS: Of course not. I think it's a woman's choice.

---------- TRUMP: again goes after Matthews religious faith ------.

MATTHEWS: Can we go back to matters of the law and running for president because matters of law, what I'm talking about, and this is the difficult situation you've placed yourself in.

By saying you're pro-life, you mean you want to ban abortion. How do you ban abortion without some kind of sanction? Then you get in that very tricky question of a sanction, a fine on human life which you call murder?

TRUMP: It will have to be determined.

MATTHEWS: A fine, imprisonment for a young woman who finds herself pregnant?

TRUMP: It will have to be determined.

MATTHEWS: What about the guy that gets her pregnant? Is he responsible under the law for these abortions? Or is he not responsible for an abortion?

TRUMP: Well, it hasn't -- it hasn't -- different feelings, different people. I would say no.

MATTHEWS: Well, they're usually involved.
    Anyway, much more from the audience here at the University of Wisconsin, Green Bay. We'll be right back.

(APPLAUSE)

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

FULL TRANSCRIPT: MSNBC Town Hall with Donald Trump Moderated By Chris Matthews

4. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    I have already done that, you lying liberal. You take Trump's words out of context. You are a disingenuous prick. Matthews set the stage for the conversation that followed...conversation about a HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION that did not exist.

Try as you may to whitewash the truth....you are a lying piece of dog squeeze.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Martin Eden Mercury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    So now, using a transcript and linking it both it and the video, is somehow taking it all out of context?

Please, somebody help this person???

6. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    One more time for the mentally handicapped:

You must pay attention to this line from your transcript:

MATTHEWS: If you say abortion is a crime or abortion is murder, you have to deal with it under law. Should abortion be punished?

Now try to grasp this: ABORTION IS NOT CURRENTLY A CRIME. Matthews' question was HYPOTHETICAL and RHETORICAL. At this time, abortion is NOT A CRIME and should not be punished. If it is again made a crime, it should be punished in some fashion.

In other words, in the context of the hypothetical question, Trump's answer was correct. You are taking it out of context by refusing to recognize it as hypothetical. Either that or you do not understand what hypothetical means.

If something is a crime, committing that crime should be punished. Whether it is speeding, crossing the solid yellow line, jaywalking, murder, robbery, libel, abortion or walking an alligator without a leash.

Trump's answer was the only answer that should be expected of a Presidential candidate.

With that, I am DONE with this idiotic thread. You can come back and repost your asinine refusal to acknowledge logic and the definition of hypothetical all you want. It will not change the fact that you are stupid.

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  7. Martin Eden Mercury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Trump first said he was pro-life (in answer to a question from a woman at a town hall audience). Matthews then said, that means you want to outlaw abortion. Trump agreed, didn't he?

So if Trump wants to outlaw abortion, the obvious question is, should women be punished? Trump said yes, women should be punished for having an abortion, and clarified his answer with another yes.

Trump said women should be punished for having abortions, but also that men should walk away scot-free

Again, Trump twice said, women should be punished for having abortions

8. The Great Goose

The Great Goose Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,879
    He should have given a sensitive response without being commital.

"I'm aware of the stigmatism women and girls used to face and still can with abortion. It's a complicated issue and we are still processing it. I'll have to get back to you on the details"

This said in place of where he said they should be punished.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  9. Martin Eden Mercury

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +426
    But being pro-life he was asked a series of legitimate questions. And if being pro-life means one wants to ban abortions, what should the punishments be, and should the women be punished.

It is not sufficient for politicians and policy makers to dodge questions on How they would implement things. We deserve to know. It isn't like Healthcare, where the devil was in the details. People who wanted to do something like Obamacare, said they wanted to reach as many people as they could (providing healthcare insurance). Trump was NOT asked HOW women should be punished. Trump was asked IF women should be punished and he twice said , yes.

10. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,118
    I agree. For some act to be illegal but with no consequences is in all practical effect to keep the act legal.