Aborted fetus = Lucky bastard?

If you think about a dead body, say someone who's been decapitated. Some of their cells are still alive, heck the majority of their body is still alive. But "they" are dead. Why? Because the processes which make "them" up, judgment, self-awareness, reasoning, are no longer capable of functioning. That's why brain dead individuals are called brain dead. For the most part, their entire person is gone. "They" are in essence, shells, living human bodies that react to stimulus. No different from the most basic animals such as sea cucumbers or hydras, though obviously more complex. They can't feed themselves because their thinking facilities are gone. Put food in their mouths and some might swallow, because that bit of information is still there. But many will just drool because there isn't anything there that is capable of even the most rudimentary thought. That's what happened to Terry Schaivo. Her body was most assuridly alive, but she the person was gone.

I agree completely. Of course, I learned this also in Early Childhood Devlopment. Glad to see someone else knows. :cool:

Indeed. It's actually kind of scary to think that we really aren't done developing till we're almost adults!

K you are confusing being born to being alive.

An amoeba is alive but it's not born.

Our individuals cells are alive but they weren't born. Well at least in the sense that you are considering (if I'm not mistaken).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/born

born

1. brought forth by birth.
2. possessing from birth the quality, circumstances, or character stated: a born musician; a born fool.
3. native to the locale stated; immigrated to the present place from the locale stated: a German-born scientist; a Chicago-born New Yorker.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/birth

birth

1. an act or instance of being born: the day of his birth.
2. the act or process of bearing or bringing forth offspring; childbirth; parturition: a difficult birth.
3. lineage; extraction; descent: of Grecian birth.
4. high or noble lineage: to be foolishly vain about one's birth.
5. natural heritage: a musician by birth.
6. any coming into existence; origin; beginning: the birth of Protestantism; the birth of an idea.
7. Archaic. something that is born.
–verb (used with object) Chiefly South Midland and Southern U.S.
8. to give birth to.
9. to assist in giving birth; act as midwife for.

A fetus is most certainly alive. It feeds itself (thought parasitically) reproduces (it's cells reproduce) carries on all the functions necessary for life.

Interesting but not quite the definition of alive I was looking for.

Sure it is. What loving God would condemn an innocent child?

Well, apparently, according to Baba's standard for salvation the answer is the very same god of the OT who ABORTED David's adulturous offspring.. not to mention the entire generation of egyptian first born..

Notice David's reaction change once the child was dead...

You guys are funny. You think it's okay to kill babies, but not to think that babies who die don't have a chance at heaven. Which you don't believe in anyway.

Hypocrites.

You guys are funny. You think it's okay to kill babies, but not to think that babies who die don't have a chance at heaven. Which you don't believe in anyway.

Hypocrites.

Have you fact checked your absurd amendment assertion yet?

Hypocrites.

careful AllieBaba, you do not know my beliefs so do not assume nor make false claims. You are a Christian, what does the Bible tell you about judging others?

careful AllieBaba, you do not know my beliefs so do not assume nor make false claims. You are a Christian, what does the Bible tell you about judging others?

ahh shit.. that was only meant to apply to sinners and non-christians, dude.. CLEARLY jebus was all about personal pharisee rationalizations.

Can you provide even the slightest teeny tiny iota of evidence to suggest that there is such a thing as a soul? This is an open challenge to lay before me ANYTHING that supports the possibility of a soul.. If so, then please show me to be wrong.

Does your mother love you? (serious question, please bear with me.)

You are a hypocrite if you say you don't believe in a soul while at the same time condemning people who believe souls can be lost.

The Bible says judge not, lest ye be judged, refering to believers judging each other. It is followed by the assertion that believers can and should judge non-believers.

I'm not judging what level of Christian you are, which is exactly what Paul was talking about in that excerpt. He was speaking to a church and admonishing members not to judge how good a Christian this person or that person was.

You might also keep in mind that in the end, the Saints will be judging. You may have to answer to someone you ridiculed or insulted in the past. Wouldn't THAT be awkward.

You are a hypocrite if you say you don't believe in a soul while at the same time condemning people who believe souls can be lost.

The Bible says judge not, lest ye be judged, refering to believers judging each other. It is followed by the assertion that believers can and should judge non-believers.

I'm not judging what level of Christian you are, which is exactly what Paul was talking about in that excerpt. He was speaking to a church and admonishing members not to judge how good a Christian this person or that person was.

You might also keep in mind that in the end, the Saints will be judging. You may have to answer to someone you ridiculed or insulted in the past. Wouldn't THAT be awkward.

I'm not quite sure you catch the "jest" of the scripture. It means, if you judge, you will also be judged...by God.

Matt 7:2-5 "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged..."

And really, the definition of "lest" is --For fear that...
Do not judge, for fear that you shall be judged.

"If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts?"

That's Paul to the church of Corinth.

Here's James:

Do not speak against one another, [James 1:16; 5:7, 9, 10] brethren He who speaks against a brother or [Matt 7:1; Rom 14:4] judges his brother, speaks against [James 2:8] the law and judges the law; but if you judge the law, you are not [James 1:22] a doer of the law but a judge of it.

Do not complain, [James 5:7, 10] brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, [1 Cor 4:5; James 4:12; 1 Pet 4:5] the Judge is standing [Matt 24:33; Mark 13:29] right at the door.

Here's Jesus. He's speaking to believers. "Brothers" are brothers in Christ. It's a specific term used to distinguish believers.

1"(A)Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

2"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and (B)by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.

3"Why do you (C)look at the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?

4"(D)Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' and behold, the log is in your own eye?

5"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.

6"(E)Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

Jesus is speaking directly to believers about their dealings with other believers, and telling them not to waste their time or energy on those who choose not to believe. Which I should take to heart.

Forum List

Back