Abercrombie/Headscarf Lawsuit

Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII:

SEC. 703. (a) It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer--

(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; or

(2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

All she has to do to get the job is follow the dress code. They aren't discriminating against her. Dress codes are normal on the job. And, in an at-will state, employees can be fired for any reason.

Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII:

SEC. 703. (a) It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer--

(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; or

(2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.

All she has to do to get the job is follow the dress code. They aren't discriminating against her. Dress codes are normal on the job. And, in an at-will state, employees can be fired for any reason.
Once again. it was a "Look Policy" and not a "Dress Code" that the company used to deny her employment.

Also, you failed to answer the question that was raised:

How can the hiring of a girl wearing a hijab hurt the sales at Abercrombie and Fitch?

No, GT doesn't fail.

It could hurt their sales the same way A Sumo-Wrestler would hurt P90X's sales were he their spokesperson or an actively visible employee.

Again, you really must enjoy missing the point. Spokes people market the product, while sales people sell the product. I agree, it would be a marketing blunder to have a sumo wrestler advertise P90X. Nothing to do with the people who answer the phone when you dial the P90X 800 number or the people who process your order when you order P90X online.

If Abercrombie and Fitch markets to a certain consumer, then the advertisements will appeal to those consumers. Now, if I enter the Abercrombie and Fitch retail store to purchase what has been marketed to me, I will purchase what I seek. Just because one of the employees do not look like the models on the advertisement billboards makes no difference to me.

So again, how does hiring a young Woman who wears a hijab as a RELIGIOUS practice, to work in ONE of the retail stores, hurt the sales of Abercrombie and Fitch?

Again, you really must enjoy missing the point. Spokes people market the product, while sales people sell the product. I agree, it would be a marketing blunder to have a sumo wrestler advertise P90X. Nothing to do with the people who answer the phone when you dial the P90X 800 number or the people who process your order when you order P90X online.

If Abercrombie and Fitch markets to a certain consumer, then the advertisements will appeal to those consumers. Now, if I enter the Abercrombie and Fitch retail store to purchase what has been marketed to me, I will purchase what I seek. Just because one of the employees do not look like the models on the advertisement billboards makes no difference to me.

So again, how does hiring a young Woman who wears a hijab as a RELIGIOUS practice, to work in ONE of the retail stores, hurt the sales of Abercrombie and Fitch?

This company's ads promote sexy looks, sexy attire, and a hijab is the exact opposite of permiscuity. You can't wear a fucking GO WALMART! t-shirt working at a Target.

Forum List

Back