Abercrombie/Headscarf Lawsuit

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by G.T., Sep 24, 2009.

1. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,459
    Abercrombie & Fitch Faces Lawsuit Over Muslim Headscarf - Yahoo! News

This shit is Banannas. If I have a business, and the business has a dress code, hell no I'm not hiring you if you HAVE to break it, based on Religion or any other fucking thing. If this Muslim Girl wins, I'll go :eek: , but then 30 seconds later I'll go back to :cool: because I am smooooove like Gelatin.

2. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    Hooters better watch out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. G.T.

G.T. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,459
    :lol:

4. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I bet she wins.Doubt if we ever learn the follow up though.

5. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    OKLAHOMA CITY — A Muslim teenager claims in a federal lawsuit that she was denied a job at an Abercrombie & Fitch clothing store at a Tulsa mall because she wore a head scarf.

In the lawsuit filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Tulsa by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 17-year-old Samantha Elauf said she applied for a sales position at the Abercrombie Kids store in the Woodland Hills Mall in June 2008. The teen, who wears a hijab in accordance with her religious beliefs, claims the manager told her the head scarf violates the store's "Look Policy."

"These actions constitute discrimination against Ms. Elauf on the basis of religion," the lawsuit states.

A spokeswoman for the New Albany, Ohio-based retailer declined to comment on the lawsuit but said the company has "a strong equal employment opportunity policy, and we accommodate religious beliefs and practices when possible."

An attorney for the EEOC claims the company violated Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which protects workers from discrimination based upon religion in hiring. The EEOC said the lawsuit was filed after the agency attempted to reach a voluntary settlement.

"It is unlawful for employers to treat applicants or workers differently based on their religious beliefs or practices in any aspect of employment, including recruitment, hiring and job assignments," EEOC senior trial attorney Michelle Robertson said.

The suit seeks back pay for the teen and a permanent injunction against the retailer from participating in what it describes as discriminatory employment practices. It seeks undisclosed monetary and non-monetary losses resulting from "emotional pain, suffering, anxiety, loss of enjoyment of life, humiliation and inconvenience."

The suit also seeks punitive damages against the company for its "malice or reckless indifference to her federally protected rights."

Muslim Teen Sues Abercrombie & Fitch Over Head Scarf - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

6. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    This would depend on the details of the policy.

7. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,343
    A & F can legally discriminate in terms of dress policy. I do believe the policy is a poor one.

8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    "Look Policy"????

I have heard of a dress code, but never a "Look Policy" :eek:

9. Fatality

Fatality SunCrackedSoul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +280
    face it the only reason she went to that kafir shop in the first place was to instigate a lawsuit

10. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title VII:

SEC. 703. (a) It shall be an unlawful employment practice for an employer--

(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual, or otherwise to discriminate against any individual with respect to his compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; or

(2) to limit, segregate, or classify his employees in any way which would deprive or tend to deprive any individual of employment opportunities or otherwise adversely affect his status as an employee, because of such individual's race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.