ABC's Telecast of the Third Round of the British Open - WTF????

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
Is it just me, or did ABC TOTALLY screw up the third round of the British Open?

First off, DirectTV tells me that a certain block of time has been set off for the third round of the British Open on ABC. I Tivo that block of time. I get home from playing golf, turn her on, and get an hour and a half of an interview with some moronic basketball player before The Open actually starts.

Then, when it finally does start, the presentation of play was all broken up. Example: As we are nearing the end, the leader is shown putting out on nine and then teeing off on 10. He is 13 under at that point. Break for commercials. When we come back, he is magically teeing off on 15. More commercials. We never got to see what happened on 15. Now he's teeing off on 16. More commercials. Never saw how he ended up on 16. Now he's putting out on 18 and walking off at 15 under.

Basically, they screwed us out of nine holes being played by the leader of the damn tournament, during which time he scored two birdies, neither of which we got to see.

As I said in the title of this thread - WTF?????

Last edited:
Well, they did it to us in the final round as well - hit and miss (mostly miss) coverage of the leader's final round. We saw him tee off on the first hole. That was it. No second shot or putting on the first hole. We next pick him up teeing off on No. 4. And so it went.

Thank God ESPN was doing a competent job of covering the open.

His bag was on my shoulder in the '93 Walker Cup.

One of the best damned weeks of my life.

Wow! I am impressed. How did that come about?
The tournament was at the course where I had worked since I was 13.

Most all the other caddies wanted an American guy and I didn't really care, so I was assigned the hottest guy on the GB&I team.

Forum List

Back