Abbas calls Israel a colonial project unrelated to Judaism

Naughty Jews, not following Mitzvah!

I guess Post #16 in this thread goes some way to explaining that Jews are not in 'danger' in the rest of the world and the need to a safe(?) homeland is actually not that necessary.

That is either woefully naive or purposefully false.

Antisemitism on rise across Europe 'in worst times since the Nazis'

I specifically used a three year old article to trace a bit of recent history. It’s not just coincidence that the waves of Islamists invading Europe for welfare benefits brought with them “cultural ills” which include rabid Jew hatreds.

The situation is even worse now, more than three years later. Do you need more?
If it is a commandment
It is not. You already were told it.

I think Rambam holds that living in Israel is one of 613 mitzvot. But most Jews are comfortable where they are.
Apparently not.

"Nachmanides wrote a critique of Maimonides Sefer HaMitzvot. Sefer HaMitzvot is an enumeration and description of the 613 mitzvot of the Torah. As part of his critique, Nachmanides provided a list of commandments that Maimonides neglected to count in his enumeration of the 613 mitzvot. In his list of positive commandments that Maimonides “missed”, Nachmanides includes the mitzvah to posses the land of Israel. "
Parshat Shelach: Are We Required to Live in Israel? - OU Torah

I sit corrected. So it was Ramban (Nachmanides), and not Rambam (Maimonides), who counted that as one of the Commandments. (I knew it was one of those rabbis.)

Abbas said what? :laugh:

abbas_mahmoud_pr.jpg

Abbas Tribe

The Banu Abbas (Arabic: بنو عباس‎) are an Arabian tribe, descendants of Al-‘Abbas ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib. The caliphs of the Banu Abbas served as heads of the Muslim community for a period of five centuries (from 750 until the sack of Baghdad in 1258).[2] This was the Abbasid caliphate.
And the founder of the "Palestinian movement" Arafat was himself an Egyptian and a Soviet spy.

It is a mitzvah (one of the 613 commandments) for a Jew to actually live in Israel, and not only to make a pilgrimage there. Once a Jew lives there, he should make a pilgrimage 3x a year to Jerusalem--om Passover, Tabernacles and Pentecost.

Yes I know.... Seems that other's DON'T know!

So, why don't they? I mean, live in Israel?

I'm all for it!

Why don't all Jews live in Israel? See Post #16 in this thread.

I guess Post #16 in this thread goes some way to explaining that Jews are not in 'danger' in the rest of the world and the need to a safe(?) homeland is actually not that necessary.

I specifically used a three year old article to trace a bit of recent history. It’s not just coincidence that the waves of Islamists invading Europe for welfare benefits brought with them “cultural ills” which include rabid Jew hatreds.

Seems you missed the point...

With the majority of Jews living OUTSIDE of Israel and Israel being the "only safe haven" for Jews... Why are not ALL Jews living in Israel?

If I were from a 'persecuted' people I for one would be wanting to hot foot it to a place that was safe for my 'people'!

Wouldn't you?

If it is a commandment then surely every god fearing Jew should be living in Israel?

Are you trying to argue that Jews are not that persecuted and don't need a safe haven?

I'm all for it!

With the majority of Jews living OUTSIDE of Israel and Israel being the "only safe haven" for Jews... Why are not ALL Jews living in Israel?

If I were from a 'persecuted' people I for one would be wanting to hot foot it to a place that was safe for my 'people'!

Wouldn't you?

If it is a commandment then surely every god fearing Jew should be living in Israel?

Are you trying to argue that Jews are not that persecuted and don't need a safe haven?

Admittedly, we're past the Spanish Inquisition, the Russian pogroms and even the Holocaust. And Jews are very successful in the U.S., especially. But you never know. Life is unpredictable, whether it's a famine in Ethiopia, the break-up of an empire (like the Soviet Union), or incidents in modern Europe that make Jews feel uncomfortable (like in France). Jews always need that "safe place."

I'm all for it!

If it is a commandment
It is not. You already were told it.

It is, I was already told!

I'm all for it!

Wouldn't you?

Not at all, and you should 'know' me better than that...

Just trying to put things in perspective for some of the more radical Team Israel members.

Wouldn't you?

Admittedly, we're past the Spanish Inquisition, the Russian pogroms and even the Holocaust. And Jews are very successful in the U.S., especially. But you never know. Life is unpredictable, whether it's a famine in Ethiopia, the break-up of an empire (like the Soviet Union), or incidents in modern Europe that make Jews feel uncomfortable (like in France). Jews always need that "safe place."

Agreed, we ALL need a "safe place"!

Wouldn't you?

Not at all, and you should 'know' me better than that...

Just trying to put things in perspective for some of the more radical Team Israel members.

My bad, then. Apologies.

Wouldn't you?

I've heard this interesting point in an Israeli Sovereignty Conference:

Arabs say they have time, and they really think we're like the Crusaders, that they'll get rid of us in a century or two. But really thy're not that patient.
On the other hand - we the people who have 3500 years of history on this land, strangely hope to solve it all in no time . But Jews returning to Israel is a naturally long process rather than a short rehabilitation, we just have to remember what are 70 years compared to our whole story and purpose - and really we're the patient ones.

We need to calibrate our time appreciation and openly say - You know what, they have time, we surely do too - we're here - home, and frankly we have much more important things to do.

Forum List

Back