Aaron Hernandez documentary on Netflix

Roger Staubach retired many years ago due to concussions. He isn't barking at the moon or murdering people. Steve Young retired due to concussions. He isn't drooling when he smiles or murdering people.

Does everyone who smokes heavily get lung cancer? Does everyone who chewed tobacco get mouth or throat cancer? Of course not.

Does Roger Staubach or Steve Young have CTE? We don't know because they're not DEAD. It is tragic, and I pray for a way to diagnose this disease years earlier, I'm sure you do too.

There are also great, legendary, NFL players who were diagnosed with CTE who were not violent. I've not read a lot about two of them, Ken Stabler and Frank Gifford, so I don't know about their lives behind the scenes.

Symptoms
There are no specific symptoms that have been clearly linked to CTE. Some of the possible signs and symptoms of CTE can occur in many other conditions, but in the few people with proven CTE, symptoms have included:
  • Difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment)
  • Impulsive behavior
  • Depression or apathy
  • Short-term memory loss
  • Difficulty planning and carrying out tasks (executive function)
  • Emotional instability
  • Substance misuse
  • Suicidal thoughts or behavior
My guess is that one of my heroes, Terry Bradshaw has the disease. He is a former NFL quarterback who won four Superbowls through 14 seasons in the NFL. Like Ken Stabler and Frank Gifford, they played before the position became "hallowed ground".

I don't understand why you attempt to trivialize the disease.
Right, I wonder why Gordie Howe's brain was never studied after he died. NHL didn't even have helmets for their goalies in the 70s and that is when Howe played. He played into his 50s. He played what, 30 years in the NHL and no curiosity? Nothing.

Explain why there is nearly zero fascination with that?

Not much made about this study from a few years ago involving girls, soccer, and concussions.

The Concussion Gender Gap: Why Girls Suffer More Head Injuries

Very little.

Let me know when they do in depth comparative studies with brains from football and other sports.

Read this full article

Op-ed: How one flawed study and irresponsible reporting launched a wave of CTE hysteria

Then we took a closer look at the study that led to the Times story — apparently something few journalists had bothered to do. When we dug into the methodology, we were floored. The study was so badly flawed that it was nearly worthless. But that’s not what had been reported in practically every major media outlet in the world. Thanks to the barrage of sensationalist coverage, the “110 out of 111 brains” story had turned into a wildfire, and we were standing around with a couple of garden hoses, telling everybody to calm down.

That’s why we wrote our new book, “Brainwashed: The Bad Science Behind CTE and the Plot to Destroy Football” (Amplify, Oct. 23, 2018), and it’s why we’ve written this op-ed. We believe that when people know what we know, they’ll start asking tougher, smarter questions, and the “football causes CTE” connection will be revealed as the pseudoscience that it is.

Sure, that’s a provocative statement. How can we back it up? Let’s start with this: the study that produced the 110 out of 111 brains finding had no control group. Good research design requires a control group against which findings can be compared. In this case, the control group could have been brains from 100 athletes from sports other than football, brains from 100 men who had never played contact sports – any cohort that would have allowed the researchers to determine whether men of a certain age who hadn’t played in the NFL also showed signs of CTE. For some reason, this study didn’t have that.

‐---------------

Let me know when espn does any reporting on that fact or when they bring up cte in boxing, hockey or the other WORLDLY sports.

Let me know when hollywood does a movie about the cte problems in those other sports.

Yeah.....

Why do you think you have a dog in this fight? What do you have to argue about with research into CTE, a previously unknown disease closely related to repeated concussions?

As for other sports...

The Tragic Post-Hockey Life of an NHL ‘Enforcer’
For 11 seasons, Todd Ewen fought in almost every game he played. He didn’t live to his 50th birthday.

NICOLAS POLLOCKAPRIL 25, 2019

On January 24, 1987, Todd Ewen, a young right-winger for the St. Louis Blues, knocked the Detroit Red Wings’ notorious tough guy, Bob Probert, unconscious with one bare-knuckled punch to the head. Ewen was a new recruit, just 21 years old, and the punch immediately solidified his place in the Blues’ lineup—as well as his role in the National Hockey League as one of the many players who regularly fought members of the opposing team.
[...]
Ewen and Probert’s destinies intertwined after they first met on the ice. Probert was just a year older than Ewen, and he had a similarly grueling decade-plus career. After the two men retired from hockey—in 1998 and 2002, respectively—both started to forget things. They angered quickly. Each would be dead before his 50th birthday.

Their deaths were among the earliest to fan the flames of a national debate about the lasting effects of hockey’s brutality on its players’ brains. But through a twist, Ewen would become a key figure in the NHL’s controversial defense of the sport.
[...]
During his playing days, Ewen was a gentle renaissance man when he wasn’t on the ice. He wrote children’s books and crafted models out of hockey tape for his young fans. In 1998, Ewen retired from professional hockey and returned to the St. Louis suburbs to live with his wife, Kelli Ewen. After retiring, Kelli noticed changes in Todd. “We just saw some aggression that we hadn’t previously seen,” she says. “Mood swings, irritability, and not sleeping. Just a pattern of things that was alarming to me.”

Todd’s behavior only became more erratic. During one episode, he choked Kelli and the police had to intervene. In time, depression and reclusiveness replaced Todd’s anger. He routinely became lost and disoriented in the streets around his own home.

Todd confided in Kelli that he feared he might have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE—a neurodegenerative disease that most experts agree is linked to repetitive head trauma. Research on the disease has largely focused on former professional football players, but it has also been discovered in former NHL players. In 2010, Probert, the Red Wings’ bruiser, became the second NHL player to be diagnosed with CTE. His death was followed in quick succession by the deaths of four other former players, all under the age of 40, all diagnosed with CTE.
[...]

CTE is a major concern in sports. Parents have to wonder if some sports are worth the risk

Used to be just boxers were punch drunk
Now it is found in football, hockey, baseball,soccer, horse racing and auto racing

Used to be a concussion was something you shook off and got back in the game. Now, it can ruin your life

One of my gym teachers in high school went to Hofstra with Wayne Chrebet. He brought Chrebet to gym class one day. I was amazed by his athleticism. A couple years ago I ran into my old gym teacher and asked how Wayne is doing. He said Wayne is really messed up. I could give you details, but let’s leave it at that.

Roger Staubach retired many years ago due to concussions. He isn't barking at the moon or murdering people. Steve Young retired due to concussions. He isn't drooling when he smiles or murdering people.

Does everyone who smokes heavily get lung cancer? Does everyone who chewed tobacco get mouth or throat cancer? Of course not.

Does Roger Staubach or Steve Young have CTE? We don't know because they're not DEAD. It is tragic, and I pray for a way to diagnose this disease years earlier, I'm sure you do too.

There are also great, legendary, NFL players who were diagnosed with CTE who were not violent. I've not read a lot about two of them, Ken Stabler and Frank Gifford, so I don't know about their lives behind the scenes.

Symptoms
There are no specific symptoms that have been clearly linked to CTE. Some of the possible signs and symptoms of CTE can occur in many other conditions, but in the few people with proven CTE, symptoms have included:
  • Difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment)
  • Impulsive behavior
  • Depression or apathy
  • Short-term memory loss
  • Difficulty planning and carrying out tasks (executive function)
  • Emotional instability
  • Substance misuse
  • Suicidal thoughts or behavior
My guess is that one of my heroes, Terry Bradshaw has the disease. He is a former NFL quarterback who won four Superbowls through 14 seasons in the NFL. Like Ken Stabler and Frank Gifford, they played before the position became "hallowed ground".

I don't understand why you attempt to trivialize the disease.
Right, I wonder why Gordie Howe's brain was never studied after he died. NHL didn't even have helmets for their goalies in the 70s and that is when Howe played. He played into his 50s. He played what, 30 years in the NHL and no curiosity? Nothing.

Explain why there is nearly zero fascination with that?

Not much made about this study from a few years ago involving girls, soccer, and concussions.

The Concussion Gender Gap: Why Girls Suffer More Head Injuries

Very little.

Let me know when they do in depth comparative studies with brains from football and other sports.

Read this full article

Op-ed: How one flawed study and irresponsible reporting launched a wave of CTE hysteria

Then we took a closer look at the study that led to the Times story — apparently something few journalists had bothered to do. When we dug into the methodology, we were floored. The study was so badly flawed that it was nearly worthless. But that’s not what had been reported in practically every major media outlet in the world. Thanks to the barrage of sensationalist coverage, the “110 out of 111 brains” story had turned into a wildfire, and we were standing around with a couple of garden hoses, telling everybody to calm down.

That’s why we wrote our new book, “Brainwashed: The Bad Science Behind CTE and the Plot to Destroy Football” (Amplify, Oct. 23, 2018), and it’s why we’ve written this op-ed. We believe that when people know what we know, they’ll start asking tougher, smarter questions, and the “football causes CTE” connection will be revealed as the pseudoscience that it is.

Sure, that’s a provocative statement. How can we back it up? Let’s start with this: the study that produced the 110 out of 111 brains finding had no control group. Good research design requires a control group against which findings can be compared. In this case, the control group could have been brains from 100 athletes from sports other than football, brains from 100 men who had never played contact sports – any cohort that would have allowed the researchers to determine whether men of a certain age who hadn’t played in the NFL also showed signs of CTE. For some reason, this study didn’t have that.

‐---------------

Let me know when espn does any reporting on that fact or when they bring up cte in boxing, hockey or the other WORLDLY sports.

Let me know when hollywood does a movie about the cte problems in those other sports.

Yeah.....

Why do you think you have a dog in this fight? What do you have to argue about with research into CTE, a previously unknown disease closely related to repeated concussions?

As for other sports...

For 11 seasons, Todd Ewen fought in almost every game he played. He didn’t live to his 50th birthday.

NICOLAS POLLOCKAPRIL 25, 2019

On January 24, 1987, Todd Ewen, a young right-winger for the St. Louis Blues, knocked the Detroit Red Wings’ notorious tough guy, Bob Probert, unconscious with one bare-knuckled punch to the head. Ewen was a new recruit, just 21 years old, and the punch immediately solidified his place in the Blues’ lineup—as well as his role in the National Hockey League as one of the many players who regularly fought members of the opposing team.
[...]
Ewen and Probert’s destinies intertwined after they first met on the ice. Probert was just a year older than Ewen, and he had a similarly grueling decade-plus career. After the two men retired from hockey—in 1998 and 2002, respectively—both started to forget things. They angered quickly. Each would be dead before his 50th birthday.

Their deaths were among the earliest to fan the flames of a national debate about the lasting effects of hockey’s brutality on its players’ brains. But through a twist, Ewen would become a key figure in the NHL’s controversial defense of the sport.
[...]
During his playing days, Ewen was a gentle renaissance man when he wasn’t on the ice. He wrote children’s books and crafted models out of hockey tape for his young fans. In 1998, Ewen retired from professional hockey and returned to the St. Louis suburbs to live with his wife, Kelli Ewen. After retiring, Kelli noticed changes in Todd. “We just saw some aggression that we hadn’t previously seen,” she says. “Mood swings, irritability, and not sleeping. Just a pattern of things that was alarming to me.”

Todd’s behavior only became more erratic. During one episode, he choked Kelli and the police had to intervene. In time, depression and reclusiveness replaced Todd’s anger. He routinely became lost and disoriented in the streets around his own home.

Todd confided in Kelli that he feared he might have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE—a neurodegenerative disease that most experts agree is linked to repetitive head trauma. Research on the disease has largely focused on former professional football players, but it has also been discovered in former NHL players. In 2010, Probert, the Red Wings’ bruiser, became the second NHL player to be diagnosed with CTE. His death was followed in quick succession by the deaths of four other former players, all under the age of 40, all diagnosed with CTE.
[...]

Did you read that? Also, when you google cte or search on youtube, you will see how it overwhelmingly shows the results of football players. The fact that espn HARDLY (not saying they never address it) address the other sports.

Read what was found in that article then ask why or what would the motive to target football?

Another example.

Do you know it's a rule in the NBA that all players must stand for the National Anthem? Why doesn't espn types attack the NBA about that? Only the NFL. why?

CTE is a major concern in sports. Parents have to wonder if some sports are worth the risk

Now it is found in football, hockey, baseball,soccer, horse racing and auto racing

Used to be a concussion was something you shook off and got back in the game. Now, it can ruin your life

One of my gym teachers in high school went to Hofstra with Wayne Chrebet. He brought Chrebet to gym class one day. I was amazed by his athleticism. A couple years ago I ran into my old gym teacher and asked how Wayne is doing. He said Wayne is really messed up. I could give you details, but let’s leave it at that.
I have played golf with Joe Namath a half dozen times. Last time was in last October. He may have memory problems. Then again I don't detect anything. He remembers plays from 1967 and what down it was. He enthusiastically tells the stories.

Have also met John Stallworth and he is also fully aware and still quite busy. An ex NFL corner Tim Mckyer who has 3 SB rings, I think he is 56 now, also loves talking the old days. No signs of anything. My alma mater in HS coach is Patrick Surtain former corner of the Dolphins and Chiefs. He has coached my old HS to two state championships in the last 5 years.

Just sayin....

Chrebet is one of my favorite Jets
He owns a mansion a few miles from where I live in NJ

I have heard rumors

I have played golf with Joe Namath a half dozen times. Last time was in last October. He may have memory problems. Then again I don't detect anything. He remembers plays from 1967 and what down it was. He enthusiastically tells the stories.

Have also met John Stallworth and he is also fully aware and still quite busy. An ex NFL corner Tim Mckyer who has 3 SB rings, I think he is 56 now, also loves talking the old days. No signs of anything. My alma mater in HS coach is Patrick Surtain former corner of the Dolphins and Chiefs. He has coached my old HS to two state championships in the last 5 years.

Just sayin....
Some are not affected by CTE
Many are

Just sayin....

I’m a Buffalo fan, so I remember Patrick Surtain very well. He was a beast

Here in California, there is a movement to outlaw horse racing (because so many horses are dying).

There is also talk in some American circles about closing all the zoos. (Why should animals be on display for the enjoyment of human beings?)

In 2020, maybe it is time to consider outlawing boxing and football. They simply may be too dangerous for the health of the players.

A lot of "progressive" ideas (including the consideration of health care as a human right) may eventually be adopted.

Maybe the progressives are right.

Forum List

Back