Aaorta

I never claimed to be sharp, Todd. But I am honest. I told you what I thought about it. Poor timing for a joke. Stop trying to vindicate yourself. You made a mistake. I make them every day. Let it go.

It was a lighthearthed quip, meant to elict a chuckle.
It got 4 funnies, including from sealybobo.
When you're over your period and finally stop throwing tampons at me, maybe you'll get it.
Some people, not me, but some people are really sensitive. Online bullying has led to suicide. I've said a lot of mean things on usmb but I would have never seen this topic and decided to come home in it. You must have one sick sense of humor. I love it.

You remind me of my aunt. True story about her. She was upset with her cousins because their mother didn't want to see her mother and after she died my aunt went to the funeral went up and pay their respects to the body turned around to the two daughters grieving and said f*** you as loud as she could to both of them. Nobody can believe that she did it. She's always been crazy but that's a level we never thought possible.

I almost posted an SNL video of the Bears Superfans.
Coulda given poor Jere a stroke.
Hope your Dad is okay. I know how tough it must be to get him to take it easy while he's taking care of your Mom.

What if the doctor wants to do test on your aaorta. That's the main artery. What could be wrong?

Aneurism. Aortic aneurisms can be near instant killers.
Good if they caught it. My grandpa on mom's side died of a body aneurism, I think. Or head. Now I forgot. I'm getting Alzheimer's!

They can be in both locations. I forget which is which But one is called an ascending, the other a descending and one is abdominal, the other thoracic.
The good thing if he has to have an operation he's not out of shape like my uncle who caught the aneurisms before they blew up but he wasn't healthy enough to survive the surgery.

The bad thing is if he's out for more than a couple days who's gonna take care of mom. She might have to go to a home. There's a nice one right across the street from me I'd have to put her there. She's still very sweet and cute. The only time I feel bad for her is when she's irritable. Otherwise it's my dad I feel bad for most. He is in hell.

He does the sleepy time teas and even niquel and can't sleep.

He is tired all day but can't sleep at night. Says he thinks too much. He has ansomnia but I guess a lot of old people can't sleep for lots of reasons.

And imagine a wife with Alzheimers and every time you doze off she says wake up. When she does it to me the 3 or 4 days I'm there and I take a little nap I want to kill her. Lol

I never claimed to be sharp, Todd. But I am honest. I told you what I thought about it. Poor timing for a joke. Stop trying to vindicate yourself. You made a mistake. I make them every day. Let it go.

When you're over your period and finally stop throwing tampons at me, maybe you'll get it.
Some people, not me, but some people are really sensitive. Online bullying has led to suicide. I've said a lot of mean things on usmb but I would have never seen this topic and decided to come home in it. You must have one sick sense of humor. I love it.

You remind me of my aunt. True story about her. She was upset with her cousins because their mother didn't want to see her mother and after she died my aunt went to the funeral went up and pay their respects to the body turned around to the two daughters grieving and said f*** you as loud as she could to both of them. Nobody can believe that she did it. She's always been crazy but that's a level we never thought possible.

Hope your Dad is okay. I know how tough it must be to get him to take it easy while he's taking care of your Mom.
One of my buddies made a joke about banging my mom cause she'll forget. We all have very thick skin. That's his way to try to lighten the mood. But be careful. You could hurt someone and this ain't politics.

On another note, ever notice all the suffering going on in the world and we don't care really until its us or one of ours. When I drive by a hospital I don't think about all the people who's lives are on hold. My family never had to deal with Alzheimer's until it hit my mom.

Oh and the ladies need to worry because they get it more than guys. They said on news tonight the numbers gonna triple.

One of my buddies made a joke about banging my mom cause she'll forget. We all have very thick skin. That's his way to try to lighten the mood. But be careful. You could hurt someone and this ain't politics.

On another note, ever notice all the suffering going on in the world and we don't care really until its us or one of ours. When I drive by a hospital I don't think about all the people who's lives are on hold. My family never had to deal with Alzheimer's until it hit my mom.

Oh and the ladies need to worry because they get it more than guys. They said on news tonight the numbers gonna triple.

But you are thinking about it now and that is what matters, Sealy.

I think the Alvita Passion flower tea is far more powerful and it will give your father a good nights rest. It's an herbal tea - it won't hurt him but again - tell the doc. (go with him so you can tell the doctor). See you tomorrow - God willing.

sealy, so sorry about you mom and dad. It is very tough when they get older and their health starts to fail. Lost my mom and dad 11 days apart two years ago. Very difficult. My dad was like yours in that he never allowed anyone to go with him into the doctors (except once, he let my one brother go in with him but lectured him to stay quiet and not ask any questions of the doc :rolleyes:). My dad had quintuple bypass in 1990, age 67 or so, pacemaker put in couple of years later. Had back problems, chiropractor said 'let's get an xray', xray revealed aortic aneurysm, they go in to repair that (this was 2005) and oh hey look, your one kidney is full of tumors, removed that (it was cancer). Fast forward to late spring 2012 he goes to the heart doc, my other brother drove him but was not allowed in, after my dad came out of the doc's office my brother said he was very quiet, just something was off but my dad said nothing so no one thought too much of it. They moved into a retirement place fall of 2012 (a day late and a dollar short, seriously), went in for surgery in Dec 2012 to see if they could fish a third wire from his pace maker into the lower chamber of his heart. It was unsuccessful (7 hrs on the table, 89 yrs old), he recovered from that but started going down hill, in and out of hospital all winter and spring, died end of May 2013. My mom fell and broke her hip four days after my dad died (her sister died two days before my dad). When we were in the hospital we ran into my dad's heart doc. I asked him if my dad hadn't had the surgery in Dec of 2012 how long he would have had, doc said 6-8 months or so.

NONE of us had any idea at all about his heart being so bad. We had no clue his heart was as bad as it was, he never let anyone in with him, he said nothing to no one not even my mom. Lesson of my long winded story? Insist, no matter what he says, insist on going into the office with your dad when he goes to the doctors. Ignore his words and just go in with him. Your dad is under tremendous stress, both physical and emotional, taking care of your mom and he literally may not even hear what the doctor may tell him. He needs someone to be his ears, his voice, his advocate.

I'm glad your brother will be able to help you take care of your mom and dad. It does ease the burden when there are many shoulders to bear the burden. Good luck.

But you are thinking about it now and that is what matters, Sealy.

I think the Alvita Passion flower tea is far more powerful and it will give your father a good nights rest. It's an herbal tea - it won't hurt him but again - tell the doc. (go with him so you can tell the doctor). See you tomorrow - God willing.
I'm going to buy it for him.

sealy, so sorry about you mom and dad. It is very tough when they get older and their health starts to fail. Lost my mom and dad 11 days apart two years ago. Very difficult. My dad was like yours in that he never allowed anyone to go with him into the doctors (except once, he let my one brother go in with him but lectured him to stay quiet and not ask any questions of the doc :rolleyes:). My dad had quintuple bypass in 1990, age 67 or so, pacemaker put in couple of years later. Had back problems, chiropractor said 'let's get an xray', xray revealed aortic aneurysm, they go in to repair that (this was 2005) and oh hey look, your one kidney is full of tumors, removed that (it was cancer). Fast forward to late spring 2012 he goes to the heart doc, my other brother drove him but was not allowed in, after my dad came out of the doc's office my brother said he was very quiet, just something was off but my dad said nothing so no one thought too much of it. They moved into a retirement place fall of 2012 (a day late and a dollar short, seriously), went in for surgery in Dec 2012 to see if they could fish a third wire from his pace maker into the lower chamber of his heart. It was unsuccessful (7 hrs on the table, 89 yrs old), he recovered from that but started going down hill, in and out of hospital all winter and spring, died end of May 2013. My mom fell and broke her hip four days after my dad died (her sister died two days before my dad). When we were in the hospital we ran into my dad's heart doc. I asked him if my dad hadn't had the surgery in Dec of 2012 how long he would have had, doc said 6-8 months or so.

NONE of us had any idea at all about his heart being so bad. We had no clue his heart was as bad as it was, he never let anyone in with him, he said nothing to no one not even my mom. Lesson of my long winded story? Insist, no matter what he says, insist on going into the office with your dad when he goes to the doctors. Ignore his words and just go in with him. Your dad is under tremendous stress, both physical and emotional, taking care of your mom and he literally may not even hear what the doctor may tell him. He needs someone to be his ears, his voice, his advocate.

I'm glad your brother will be able to help you take care of your mom and dad. It does ease the burden when there are many shoulders to bear the burden. Good luck.
He lived 23 years after the 1990 surgery. That's good. Here's the problem. He's not happy and won't be while my mom has Alzheimer's. And we all know that's not going away. Here's the sad truth. If he called me and said she passed away I would be devastated. But a part of me would be happy for her and my dad. But I'm not ready to have her go and neither is my dad or my brother. We enjoy her and she still knows who we are and smiles when we are around. But she wouldn't want to live like this and neither would I.

If you see Still Alice you feel sorry for her when she fails to commit suicide.

My nephews are coming back from Europe. They'll be going to the same highschool mitt Romney went to. My dad has a lot to look forward to next 20 years but not while my mom's around.

Sad reality of Alzheimer's. It sucks. You better have money or stay in a shithole. Or you have to feed and change your spouses diapers and they drool and can't talk. At least that's my mom. Every Alzheimer's patient is different.

I can take her out 45-2 hrs tops then she has to go to bathroom so my dad only gets a break 3 times a week for let's say 1 hour average. So only 3 hours a week. Imagine that he'll? Thank god for depends. If Alzheimer's is going to triple, buy stock in depends under garments.

He lived 23 years after the 1990 surgery. That's good. Here's the problem. He's not happy and won't be while my mom has Alzheimer's. And we all know that's not going away. Here's the sad truth. If he called me and said she passed away I would be devastated. But a part of me would be happy for her and my dad. But I'm not ready to have her go and neither is my dad or my brother. We enjoy her and she still knows who we are and smiles when we are around. But she wouldn't want to live like this and neither would I.

What happens if your dad's heart gives out tomorrow? How will that affect your mom, you, your brother, etc. What I'm saying is that you need to make sure your dad's health is ok. It totally sucks about your mom and your dad (and you guys) having to see her like this, but the reality is that she will need continuous care and more so as time goes by. If your dad is going to be her primary care giver then his health has to be taken care of. Also, a few hours a week break is no good, it will put him in an early grave, he needs more than that. Is there a visiting nurse program that they can enroll in? That stuff is expensive, I know. Do they have life insurance with a rider that provides for coverage for this type of thing? Are your mom and dad still in their home? If so, could they sell it (that's another whole level of stress though) and move somewhere less expensive or into a retirement place? Provide him as much relief as possible. I know how much it sucks watching them struggle and only being able to do so much.

Here is simple menu, Sealy.

Morning - Hot - green tea, wheat toast, blueberries, an egg scrambled, poached - however he likes it -

mid morning -some strawberries, blueberries, green tea

lunch - wheat toast - tuna fish sandwich

dinner - 4 oz salmon
broccoli
baked potato
iced tea - green tea

desert - strawberries / blueberries (packed with vitamins for memory)

Large cup of Passion Flower tea. Put the tea bag in the hot water and let it sit there and steep for 5 -10 minutes, reheat if necessary - drink before bedtime. Can have 2 or 3 cups if he wants it. It will definitely give him a good rest!

herb supplements - Ginko biloba, for memory take 40 mg. 3 xs a day
for two months to see improvement

Best supplement for memory that I know of GABA - you can get it at GNC. Definitely - he needs to be taking that daily - it would be great for your mom too.

Fish oil supplement - 1 gram of omega - 3 fish oil daily

4 oz of salmon, sardines, tuna twice a week, eggs are an excellent protein source - whole range chicken -

here is another link for foods that help the memory:

9 Foods That May Help Save Your Memory - Health.com
Grocery list
Avocado's
Peanut Butter
dark green leafy vegetables - spinach salad - can add eggs to it.
Oil based salad dressings - try flaxseed oil - very healthy
Sunflower seeds - snack all day long on them and use on salads
fish
whole grains - whole grain cereals - add blueberries, strawberries
Smoothie recipes with blueberries and strawberries - stock up on frozen berries
if he has a juicer? Start juicing - packed with vitamins drink - excellent for him and your mom

Also, put this on his refrigorator to remind him -

MAKE TIME TO UNWIND

For unwinding time - he should watch a favorite television show - go for a long walk and get some fresh air and quiet time
read an edifying book - my first recommendation would be the bible - Psalms are greatly encouraging, devotional books such as Streams in the desert by Mrs. Cowman - would be excellent -

For mind exercise -crossword puzzles are great - he can sit there and work them - physical exercise - he has to get out and walk and have some solitude - Before bed - turn off the tv, play some music that is soft and relaxing, turn off any glaring lights, read a book, take a bath and soak in it.

He needs time to get away by himself - let him sign up for an art class, a book club at the local bookstore and on those outings you or your brother or a neighbor comes in to sit with your mother. He needs an activity out of the house where his mind is completely off of everything.

Oh! I want to add gardening! Buy him a few plants and let him care for them each day - digging in the soil, pulling weeds is excellent exercise and very therapeutic! The sunshine, the wind blowing through the trees, the peace and quiet - solitude for the soul. I love my time outdoors gardening when it isn't too hot out there. Very relaxing! I have a lot of plants and watching them grow is very rewarding to me! It is good to have little projects going.

Last edited:
I know a 1.5 hr break 3 times a week isn't enough. He can't put her in adult daycare for 8 hours once or twice a week. That he could use. They have the money but he says she would freak out. I say she'll forget and get used to going maybe even like it.

T

What happens if your dad's heart gives out tomorrow? How will that affect your mom, you, your brother, etc. What I'm saying is that you need to make sure your dad's health is ok. It totally sucks about your mom and your dad (and you guys) having to see her like this, but the reality is that she will need continuous care and more so as time goes by. If your dad is going to be her primary care giver then his health has to be taken care of. Also, a few hours a week break is no good, it will put him in an early grave, he needs more than that. Is there a visiting nurse program that they can enroll in? That stuff is expensive, I know. Do they have life insurance with a rider that provides for coverage for this type of thing? Are your mom and dad still in their home? If so, could they sell it (that's another whole level of stress though) and move somewhere less expensive or into a retirement place? Provide him as much relief as possible. I know how much it sucks watching them struggle and only being able to do so much.
he's trying to sell his second home. A vacation condo and its not selling. Some reason people aren't buying vacation condos even though they say markets back. Adding to his stress.

I know a 1.5 hr break 3 times a week isn't enough. He can't put her in adult daycare for 8 hours once or twice a week. That he could use. They have the money but he says she would freak out. I say she'll forget and get used to going maybe even like it.

Can they get help to come in, to stay with your mom for a few hours while he gets out of the house? My parents refused help (except from us kids but even then some things they just said no to), even after they moved into the retirement home and help was literally a phone call away. It's hard to give up your independence.

Can they get help to come in, to stay with your mom for a few hours while he gets out of the house? My parents refused help (except from us kids but even then some things they just said no to), even after they moved into the retirement home and help was literally a phone call away. It's hard to give up your independence.
Exactly! He's constantly arguing with me about "what is someone going to do if they come in?" I say, give her a bath, cook breakfast, clean maybe and sit with her so you can go out.

She certainly won't like it at first but who's the boss here? The patient or the doctor? Plus she'll get used to it real fast I'm sure. She might even like the person.

And honestly, I come over so he can go out and then when he comes back I take her for a walk and that gives him a half hour then I take her out for 2 hours (if she can last that long without getting bitchy) so if he goes shopping for 2 hours and I take her out for 2 hours, some days he gets 4 hours of freedom.

I just wish he could take her someplace where she could stay for 4-8 hours or 6 hours so he could have some real quality alone time.

It's hard to help someone who's constantly telling you why your suggestions or advice won't work.

So he's just not to the point where he has to dump her somewhere so he can have some time to himself. I think the breaks I give him are getting him by but yes you are right, he needs more

See even when my brother comes home, they can't take her to their house because that's an hour each way. She'll have to have her diapers changed and she'll have to be taken to the bathroom and she's not going to do that with my brother or her wife. I bet she would though if she had to. There have been times when she's pointed to the bathroom for me to help her and I say, "oh ma wait for dad he won't be too long" and she goes by herself. When she comes out I help pull up her pants but I can't wipe her butt. That's asking too much. But I will do it if I have to. Boy this is tough. LOL. You guys are great helping me get things off my chest. By the way my dad sounded good today. But even that's day to day.

Forum List

Back