Aaaaannnnnddd its Gone

shocker. we need to give them more money, this time traceable so we can see where it goes, amiright?

Well it looks like the ones who were saying don't send money because of all the corruption and that it would never be found was right huh?

It figures but is a show of the horrific state of affairs there.
Why hasn't Sean Penn brought this out? He has supposedly been very involved there. He also just raised, in the last few days, another $6 million for Haiti.
One man said, he is a lucky one as he was given money recently to build his family a tin home.

The way I read the article is that the money was pledged, but it never got there.

Just because I say I am pledging money, doesn't mean I am going to send it.

Who says the donors ever sent it? Who says the corruption is on the Haitian side of the equation? Or maybe it is the intermediaries who don't give a damn about the island, who can say. Pledge and assets are two different things.

Anyone can pledge a donation to Haiti, then write it off in their taxes as Haiti will give them the receipt, since the Haitian government is too stupid to actually wait till it has capital assets in hand before it hands out the receipts? Who knows. . . .

This is a report from 2013
Haiti s earthquake generated a 9bn response where did the money go Vijaya Ramachandran and Julie Walz Global development The Guardian

Most observers agree that the international response to the quake was overwhelming. Haiti received an unprecedented amount of support: more than $9bn (£5.6bn) in public and private donations. Official bilateral and multilateral donors pledged $13bn and, according to the UN Office of the Special Envoy for Haiti, almost 50% of these pledges ($6bn) have been disbursed. Private donations are estimated at $3bn.

Where has all the money gone? Three years after the quake, we do not really know how the money was spent, how many Haitians were reached, or whether the desired outcomes were achieved. In a policy paper published in May, and in a more recent blogpost, we unpacked the numbers, many of which came from the UN Office of the Special Envoy.

We found that about 94% of humanitarian funding went to donors' own civilian and military entities, UN agencies, international NGOs and private contractors. In addition, 36% of recovery grants went to international NGOs and private contractors. Yet this is where the trail goes cold – you can look at procurement databases to track primary contract recipients, but it is almost impossible to track the money further to identify the final recipients and the outcomes of projects.

Breaking the figures down by donor isn't much better: 60% of US-disbursed recovery funding is "not specified" (pdf), as is 67% of Canada's aid to Haiti (pdf). Data for the European commission shows that 67% of humanitarian funding and 43% of recovery funding is to "other international NGOs" (pdf). Data reporting becomes even more opaque when one looks for the specific organisations, agencies, firms or individuals that have received grants or contracts in Haiti. Detailed financial reports and rigorous impact evaluations are hard to find.

The way I read the article is that the money was pledged, but it never got there.

Who says the donors ever sent it? Who says the corruption is on the Haitian side of the equation? Or maybe it is the intermediaries who don't give a damn about the island, who can say. Pledge and assets are two different things.

Anyone can pledge a donation to Haiti, then write it off in their taxes as Haiti will give them the receipt, since the Haitian government is too stupid to actually wait till it has capital assets in hand before it hands out the receipts? Who knows. . . .

This is a report from 2013
Haiti s earthquake generated a 9bn response where did the money go Vijaya Ramachandran and Julie Walz Global development The Guardian

Most observers agree that the international response to the quake was overwhelming. Haiti received an unprecedented amount of support: more than $9bn (£5.6bn) in public and private donations. Official bilateral and multilateral donors pledged $13bn and, according to the UN Office of the Special Envoy for Haiti, almost 50% of these pledges ($6bn) have been disbursed. Private donations are estimated at $3bn.

Where has all the money gone? Three years after the quake, we do not really know how the money was spent, how many Haitians were reached, or whether the desired outcomes were achieved. In a policy paper published in May, and in a more recent blogpost, we unpacked the numbers, many of which came from the UN Office of the Special Envoy.

We found that about 94% of humanitarian funding went to donors' own civilian and military entities, UN agencies, international NGOs and private contractors. In addition, 36% of recovery grants went to international NGOs and private contractors. Yet this is where the trail goes cold – you can look at procurement databases to track primary contract recipients, but it is almost impossible to track the money further to identify the final recipients and the outcomes of projects.

Breaking the figures down by donor isn't much better: 60% of US-disbursed recovery funding is "not specified" (pdf), as is 67% of Canada's aid to Haiti (pdf). Data for the European commission shows that 67% of humanitarian funding and 43% of recovery funding is to "other international NGOs" (pdf). Data reporting becomes even more opaque when one looks for the specific organisations, agencies, firms or individuals that have received grants or contracts in Haiti. Detailed financial reports and rigorous impact evaluations are hard to find.

IOW. . . . corruption.

The donors say, "Oh my, what a tragedy, here, let me donate to help you out."

So they donate to their own financial causes and interests, and their cronies get rich, never having to really DO ANYTHING to make a material change on the ground.

Instead of giving to international corporations and NGO's of the donors choices, I guess they should have given the aid directly to the people of Haiti.

Again, all those studies say is that some folks SAY they are going to help Haiti, but there is no proof that any help ever came through. The only thing that data states is that some folks gave money to some relief organizations the are based in western nations whose employees, managers and interests are all in the west. All it says to me is that the corruption is mostly in the west, it was all a racket.

Giving folks of the world got fleeced by the evil and corrupt.

Anyone who ever did or tried to do business in Hati knew this would be the way it came down. Some hoped it wouldn't. They also are big on the sanctity of such powerful religious figures as The Easter Bunny.

Forum List

Back