A writer's journey

For me, writing requires a certain mindset and generally a quiet environment. No radio, no television, nobody walking in on me every 10 minutes. Beyond that the location is nowhere near as important as whether I'm in the proper mental state to write.

I had been working on something last night, and it was finally starting to roll a little. Then this afternoon, when I would have had my next chance to write, I find I'm not in the proper emotional or mental space to do so (thanks Boston Bruins).

As for going somewhere to write, unless it was somewhere close or a separate part of a house where nobody else was allowed to be, I'm not sure it would work real well for me. It might work for getting ideas, themes, etc... but not necessarily for sitting down and writing because if I wasn't in the mental space or mood to write it would just be wasted.

BTW - Nice to have you aboard the crazy train for the ride that is USMB, smokin_kat.

When I am home, I write dark humor of the area I live in and how I feel. Traveling changes way of thinking, feeling, and writing, IMO. Would anyone agree?

Absolutely; travel opens our minds and our senses to new vistas, new sounds, new and different smells and tastes. Travel will, if we allow it, force us to question and test our beliefs; it is a means of walking in the shoes of others and offers us an understanding of those much different than us and those in our usual and parochial milieu.

I have been type setter, proof reader, reporter, and editor working for newspapers, radio, and television and then doing my own 'gig'. Writers' block does happen now and then but there really is no absence of subjects. My advice is write about whatever your heart leads you to as you will absolutely do your best work.

I am currently working on a 'sermon' to deliver at a nearby rehab center for Sunday services tomorrow. (That is if we all aren't raptured before the day is over. :)) I saw a short piece on bamboo and it was perfect to work into a story that will be the 'sermon'. You never know what will strike your fancy but when something crosses your mind, write it down immediately so you won't lose it, and then go with it.

Nobody but you can tell you what you should write about if you want to write something worthwhile. :)

We do probably have bigger ones than they do. ;) Which amuses me coming from someone with the word "dildo" in their name. Oh... it says "dillo." :lol: Whoops!

I wouldn't recommend making an enemy of Dr. Dilloduck.. right of... :eusa_whistle:

I honestly wasn't trying to be an ass. I really thought that is what it said until I took a closer look. Ha! I have many Freudian slips.

I can be an ass without really trying... well, most of the time, actually... like for instance .. sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong...:lol:

"Sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong" .. Man.. now there's an odd expression..

All of you have inspired me, seriously. My mother is an author and has her Ph.D in philosophy and at times I feel a bit insecure with my writings because I haven't published anything yet.

Thank you for very informative posts as to what each do or feel when it comes to writing.

Last edited:
All of you have inspired me, seriously. My mother is an author and has her Ph.D in philosophy and at times I feel a bit insecure with my writings because I haven't published anything yet.

Thank you for very informative posts as to what each do or feel when it comes to writing.

No problem. Realize that it is the WRITING that is the important thing. Being published is something totally different and completely unrelated to the art of expressing oneself through the written word. I've never had anything published and likely never will. Most of my stuff never goes beyond my own eyes, or at least beyond the eyes of a very limited selection of people. The beauty is in the writing, not in the publication.

Don't worry about what your mother does. Enjoy what YOU write.

Forum List

Back