A Woman's "RIGHT" To Choose?

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Where, in the Bill of Rights or the Declaration of Independance is this supposed "Right" to choose for women to have an abortion?

All I see is contrary... In fact, the babies are are killed are promised to be:

"...endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Abortion removes their Right to Life, Liberty and pursuit of happiness...

In fact, it's the right of the people to remove such governments which go against those unalienable rights:

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, "

I think it's possible we could see some changes in the whole abortion issue in the next four years. The Laci Peterson Law is also a damn good argument that you ARE taking a life. I would love to see them argue that -any opponents that is. You make a good argumnet cP.

however legaly your first birthday is not 3 months after you are born but 12 months after you are born....thus you have no rights until you draw your first breath.

I think the argument lies with the fact that some people don't believe a fetus is an actual human life. I've argued with many of the more vapid ones on the 'net and in life and it amazes me how they tend to view a fetus like a virus. To them, an abortion is no more troublesome than a flu shot.

manu1959 said:
however legaly your first birthday is not 3 months after you are born but 12 months after you are born....thus you have no rights until you draw your first breath.

The Unalienable rights don't specify that you "have to draw your first breath" to be guaranteed those rights....

By your arguement, those living on life support wouldn't be guaranteed these rights either...

WeAreLegion said:
I think the argument lies with the fact that some people don't believe a fetus is an actual human life. I've argued with many of the more vapid ones on the 'net and in life and it amazes me how they tend to view a fetus like a virus. To them, an abortion is no more troublesome than a flu shot.

If life doesn't begin at conception, then were does it begin? An inanimate object can't just all of a sudden become a human life... it has to start-off that way...

-Cp said:
If life doesn't begin at conception, then were does it begin? An inanimate object can't just all of a sudden become a human life... it has to start-off that way...

If they ever actually watched a video of an abortion taken with a Sonogram, they would definitely change their minds. It was one of the most horrific things I have ever seen. But heck, life is at the center of my religion.

Sure it can! Evolution says so! :D

I also think that life begins at conception and it astounds me that some folks don't or will attempt to deny that. Stopping a life is just that, let's not sugar coat it.

On the other hand, I have a dilemma with forcing this viewpoint into law.

WeAreLegion said:
Sure it can! Evolution says so! :D
On the other hand, I have a dilemma with forcing this viewpoint into law.

But it's okay to force it into law the other way around as it is now? The way it's setup now goes against our early, Country-forming documents as I outlined above...

I once dated a girl who admitted to having many abortions only after we had dated for some time. She was quite nonchalant about it as if those lives gone meant nothing. We broke up soon after because it tainted the whole relationship tight then and there. But the point is she was using abortion as her birth control and it was just the way it was for her.

-Cp said:
But it's okay to force it into law the other way around as it is now? The way it's setup now goes against our early, Country-forming documents as I outlined above...

No, no. I meant to say that I believe it's a moral issue that's between God and an individual, since it's the individual who will have have to answer for it in the end. There are a very few instances where I would feel comfortable in saying that abortion is okay (rape, incest etc) but even in those cases I'm very hesitant.

In reality, I suppose it does need to be dealt with in the legal arena but I feel that the taking of a life is subject to a higher court.

Before anyone says anything to me about the death penalty (which I support), don't. I realize that I have a disconnect here.

Me and God are working that out :D

How can anyone say, with absolute certainty, when life begins? That being the case, the only decent thing to do, it seems to me, is to err on the side of caution - the side of life. Since we don't KNOW - and CAN'T know - it just doesn't conform to any standard of common sense or simple respect for innocent life to gamble recklessly - not when the stakes are, literally, life and death.

And, Roe vs. Wade is, quite simply, bad law. It's just another case of an activist judiciary overstepping it's clearly defined constitutional powers. It is the Federal Government telling states that they may not outlaw abortion - in clear violation of the fundamental design of the Founding Fathers. It is centralized government overriding the will of the people. My unabashed dictionary defines this as "tyranny".

Roe vs. Wade might pass the "global test", but it wouldn't hold up under the honestly applied scrutiny of the only document that matters here:The United States Constitution.

musicman said:
How can anyone say, with absolute certainty, when life begins? That being the case, the only decent thing to do, it seems to me, is to err on the side of caution - the side of life. Since we don't KNOW - and CAN'T know - it just doesn't conform to any standard of common sense or simple respect for innocent life to gamble recklessly - not when the stakes are, literally, life and death.

How does that make any sort of sense? It's obvious to any, rational-thinking person, that life MUST begin at conception because - as I've mentioned - life cannot just all of a sudden appear out of thin air or from some sort of inanimate object...

Really, is that so difficult to understand or prove?

Physics tells us that energy cannot be destroyed nor can it be created. If life is equal to energy then logic would dictate that life begins before conception.

This is a discussion for when my primary goal in the next few minutes is not to get a little drunk.

Cheers
:beer:

-Cp said:
How does that make any sort of sense? It's obvious to any, rational-thinking person, that life MUST begin at conception because - as I've mentioned - life cannot just all of a sudden appear out of thin air or from some sort of inanimate object...

Really, is that so difficult to understand or prove?

Personally, CP, I agree with you 100%. It SHOULD be obvious, to any THINKING person, that life begins at conception. That is certainly the premise from which MY thoughts start. But, I address my comments - almost as a devil's advocate - to those who would demand incontrovertible proof in a court of law.

Therrefore, I reiterate - since the exact moment when life begins is not strictly, legally known, nor CAN it be strictly, legally proven in a court of law - we are left with an unknown, in the sense of that which is concrete. We are, then, left with a problem for which we must find a practical, common sense solution. And, according to the dictates of common sense, when the stakes are high, the only prudent thing to do is to err on the side of caution.

The stakes don't get much higher than innocent life and death.

I am not going to argue about when life begins. I am only going to state that abortions have been around since women started getting pregnant. Making it illigal isn't going to stop it, it's just going to make it go "back alley". Poor women will put their lives in jeopardy and wealthy women will go out of the country, but it won't stop.

Many people don't believe that life begins at conception. That's their belief, people believe differently about alot of things.

I believe that best thing to do is put restictions on them so people don't use abortion as a birth control method. Keep it legal and keep it safe, because it's not going to stop.

I all boils down to a simple question: Is a fetus a person?

I have never met anyone who thought a fetus was a person who supported abortion, and vice versa.

However, I've never met anyone who can give me any authoritative evidence that a fetus is NOT a person. I've argued that the fetus has brain function, seperate DNA, and even feels, but all they can say is this "can't survive outside the mother" bullcrap. When I start to refute them, they claim I'm a religious zealot and that's the only reason I'd refuse to support abortion, then walk off in a huff and refuse to make valid arguments.

Trigg said:
I am not going to argue about when life begins. I am only going to state that abortions have been around since women started getting pregnant. Making it illigal isn't going to stop it, it's just going to make it go "back alley". Poor women will put their lives in jeopardy and wealthy women will go out of the country, but it won't stop.

Many people don't believe that life begins at conception. That's their belief, people believe differently about alot of things.

I believe that best thing to do is put restictions on them so people don't use abortion as a birth control method. Keep it legal and keep it safe, because it's not going to stop.

Although I personally am AGAINST abortion, I have to agree. There are a lot of things we can't stop people from doing, but we can restrict how easily they can do it.

I am not an overly religious guy, but I do believe abortion to be a sin. I might be right and I might be wrong. I figure God will sort it all out in the end.

Trigg said:

People do LOTS of bad things regardless of if there's a provisional law or not - that doesn't mean we should pander to them...

If women are dumb enough to try and give themselves an abortion and they kill themselves in the process? Good riddence - it'll help clean-up the "gene-pool" before they can reproduce again..

Forum List

Back