A woman shatters the bicycle land speed record 183 mph!!!

Hope she was wearing a helmet.

She had all sorts of high tech gear with her. But her suit was kinda interesting........

Cycling land speed record smashed on Bonneville Salt Flats

Alongside a 4kg race suit made from leather, Kevlar and neoprene, Mueller-Koronek is equipped with a two-way radio with the driver of the car to communicate.

The GIF I couldn't up load, but the pace car was kind of interesting

Do a Google search for "183 mph bike record equipment", and it will bring up all sorts of articles that will describe the gear she used. I recommend using a bicycle magazine article, because they will go more in depth.

The custom bike she had made was SWEET! But, not for every day use. The monster gear inches it has built into it make it impossible for a human to pedal until it hits 60 mph.

She was towed first.

What's the speed record of a bicyclist unaided ?

Here is the Wiki page of all bicycle speed records, both drafting and non drafting.

List of cycling records - Wikipedia

Here is the answer to your question...........................

History of unpaced records
The International Human Powered Vehicle Association (IHPVA) acts as the sanctioning body for new records in human-powered land, water, and air vehicles. It registers non-motor-paced records (also called unpaced), which means that the bicycle directly faces the wind without any motor-pacing vehicle in front.

On land, the speed record registered by a rider on a 200-meter flying start speed trial was 133.28 km/h (82.82 mph) by the Canadian Sam Whittingham riding the Varna Tempest, a streamliner recumbent bicycle in 2009.[13] at Battle Mountain, Nevada. His record has been surpassed by 0.5 km/h by Sebastiaan Bowier of the Netherlands in 2013 setting the new record of 133.78 km/h (83.13 mph). The record was again surpassed on 19 September 2015 by Todd Reichert by riding the ETA, a streamlined recumbent bicycle at 86.65 mph or 139.45 km/h from the team behind the AeroVelo Atlas human-powered helicopter.[14][15] Todd Reichert broke his own record again on September 17, 2016 to set a speed of 89.58 mph, or 144.17 km/h at the 2016 WHPSC. [12]

The female record holder for this same category was Lisa Vetterlein, who reached 107.16 km/h (66.59 mph) in 2005.[16] This record was beaten by Barbara Buatois of France, when she reached 121.44 km/h (75.46 mph) at Battle Mountain in 2009.[13] She subsequently achieved 121.81 km/h (75.69 mph) at the 2010 running of the Battle Mountain event.[10]

Shit. That bike goes faster than my truck.

Kudo's to her and her bike techs who made it all possible.

Way ta go lady.

Shit. That bike goes faster than my truck.

Kudo's to her and her bike techs who made it all possible.

Way ta go lady.

Know how to really freak people out? Pass them in their car while you are riding a bicycle. Most people don't know how to handle a situation like that when they see it because a lot of adults think of bicycles as toys. When I was in my late 20's early 30's, I was capable of doing that and loved the expressions of those I passed.

Today's bicycles are anything but. They can be made of steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium, just to name a few high tech materials. And, they are incredibly light, as now you can buy a bike that weighs in at a scant 15 lb, total weight. The Huffy bikes you buy in Wal Mart weigh in at anywhere from 45 to 60 lbs.

Mine? It is a Lemond Zurich with Reynolds steel tubing, Campagnolo C Record ergo power components, Mavic Cosmic aero rims, Selle Italia titanium saddle, Speedplay pedals and Modolo handlebars. Weighs in at 21 lbs.

And....................in some cases..................a bike can go for more than a good used car. The bike shop I go to in Amarillo has some of their bikes for 15,000 each.

Forum List

Back