A woman being "Churched" after giving birth?

mhansen2

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
South Dakota
I just watched Season 2, Episode 1 of “Victoria” and was amazed at 4:07 into the feature when the Queen, who had just given birth, was told she must be “purified in church.” Victoria is restless from her confinement and wants to return to her normal lifestyle.

Victoria: “I want to go riding.”

Prince Albert: “Riding? Are you sure?”

V: “Yes, of course I'm sure.”

1st Equerry: “Erm, Forgive me, ma'am. I am afraid it will be most irregular for you to appear in public before you have been churched.”

V: “Churched?”

2nd Equerry: “Your Majesty. It is customary for a woman who has had a child to be purified in church before she rejoins society.”

Later, we see her kneeling before the altar in Church:

Archbishop of Canterbury: “Almighty God, we give thee humble thanks that thou hast vouchsafed to deliver this woman from the pain and peril of childbirth, and cast out her sin.”

What “sin” is he talking about? The Queen had a child. She obeyed the Lord’s command to “go forth and multiply." She gave her lawfully wedded husband a child. What “sin” is he talking about?

I realize this is a TV series, but it's supposed to illustrate Queen Victoria's life. I looked it up and found this:

Bible Gateway passage: Leviticus 12 - New International Version

Even in a modern version, is this ridiculous concept still practiced in some circles?

Last edited:
Sounds like they replaced the Mikvah
after birth with being churched.

The Mikvah is for cleansing having contact with death or blood and you think that kind of cleanliness is wrong??
Try bathing sometime, it made a huge difference during the plague.

Never heard of that. Some Protestants might do it , but its only in the OT. Catholics have to have baby baptized right away.

I just watched Season 2, Episode 1 of “Victoria” and was amazed at 4:07 into the feature when the Queen, who had just given birth, was told she must be “purified in church.” Victoria is restless from her confinement and wants to return to her normal lifestyle.

1st Equerry: “Erm, Forgive me, ma'am. I am afraid it will be most irregular for you to appear in public before you have been churched.”

2nd Equerry: “Your Majesty. It is customary for a woman who has had a child to be purified in church before she rejoins society.”

Archbishop of Canterbury: “Almighty God, we give thee humble thanks that thou hast vouchsafed to deliver this woman from the pain and peril of childbirth, and cast out her sin.”

What “sin” is he talking about? The Queen had a child. She obeyed the Lord’s command to “go forth and multiply." She gave her lawfully wedded husband a child. What “sin” is he talking about?

I realize this is a TV series, but it's supposed to illustrate Queen Victoria's life. I looked it up and found this:

Even in a modern version, is this ridiculous concept still practiced in some circles?

Has this anything to do with the reality of Queen Victoria?

The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.
Queen Victoria

Last edited:

None of that matters. They know she had to "do the nasty" to get pregnant, and crazy religious folks hate that.

None of that matters. They know she had to "do the nasty" to get pregnant, and crazy religious folks hate that.

Close your eyes and think of England
It's said Queen Victoria gave this well-meaning advice to the women, who had to have sex with their husbands.

Last edited:
Never heard of that one. Id imagine only weirdos would practice this today.Things like this wasnt considered extreme back them. Plus its actually based on some practical reasons. (hygiene, immunity)

Maybe it all was a reaction to this ancient tradition :confused-84:

THE BLOG
11/07/2013 05:49 pm ET Updated Dec 06, 2017
Ancient Pagan Ritual Still Being Practiced Today

In the transition from hunting and gathering to tweeting and posting, what did we lose?

That’s what Charles Fréger set out to explore in his photo series Wilder Mann, a study of the costumes used in pagan rituals still practiced today in Europe. Charles traveled to 18 countries, convincing community leaders to pose for him in costumes that range from animals we recognize to creatures that can only be compared to monsters.

Global Yodel sat down with Charles to learn more about Wilder Mann and the people who still practice these ancient rituals.

Charles Fréger: In each group the tradition is different. In one group, you may have guys acting like a hunter, others like animals. The hunter kills the animal and it dies. Then you have traditions where the guys are running in the street and people are trying to catch them. Some groups have parades. Some go out in the night, others in the morning.

GY: The people who practice these ancient rites, what are their lives like?

CF: They live just like you and me. Usually they do this just once a year, depending on the group. Some do it to honor St. Nicholas in December. Some to honor Christmas day or the New Year.

GY: You traveled to 18 countries, from Portugal to Croatia. Were there any similarities between the rituals practiced in each community?

CF: The rituals are about something similar — the fear of the darkness. They’re about getting rid of the fear and getting rid of the winter. The traditions are also connected to fertility. You dress like an animal, become the animal and bring fertility to the village. It’s totally universal.

GY: What was it like to hold these sacred costumes?

CF: It gave me an erection. When you touch them, when you wear them, you get a feeling like you are in front of the animal and becoming the animal. It’s very powerful.

GY: Which costume stirred the strongest reaction in you?

CF: The bear. I’m a bear myself. A bear is one of the most interesting characters of all these traditions. He’s at the same time representing strength and wildness, but the bear is also very close to the human. The bear is one of the only other animals standing up on its back legs.

Another example of the Pagan roots of Catholicism

Just another dumb religious thing. No reasonable explanation.

Another example of the Pagan roots of Catholicism
Churching of women - Wikipedia

Seems some Protestants still do it.

Several of the reactionary FLDS sects still practice the purification of women after childbirth.

Several of the reactionary FLDS sects still practice the purification of women after childbirth.
I'm still at a loss. Purification from what? Having sex in order to produce a child is considered a sin; is considered unclean? If so, how does (or did) the church expect the population to continue unless people were sinful?

The whole thing is ridiculous in my formerly religious mind and only reinforces my current belief that the whole idea of a God was to give a group of elderly men in the early tribes power over the people of said tribes. This group then founded what they called the Church (of whatever domination was appropriate for their people) to perpetuate this power.

Man invented God so a few could hold dominion over their fellow man. "Do what I say, or God will subject you to a lake of fire for all eternity."

In IMHO, of course.

Forum List

Back